What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wow, this one I would have snapped. Do you already have it and/or don’t care for the EC 12? Price seems ok. 

I’ve got a little red 12 EC handle and an open 5th.  I like EC but have multiple EC store picks and I’m saving sheckles for a trip through Georgia and Florida over the holidays. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

12 yr (AS on the back) elijah craig. Family size for $59

I pass on these as well. If it was front stated, I would grab it. I think there is a difference in quality between the two. In fact, I have a couple different new 12 yr EC store pics  that I feel are better than the rear stated.

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

I pass on these as well. If it was front stated, I would grab it. I think there is a difference in quality between the two. In fact, I have a couple different new 12 yr EC store pics  that I feel are better than the rear stated.

The open rear stated EC12 has survived at least two EC NAS store picks. It is hot for 94 proof and overly oaky for what I like. 

If anyone in the midlands SC area wants to know where, shoot me a message. 

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Just passed FR SmB 2017 for 140, not interested. Sitting on the shelf in plain sight.

I probably would have bit at this point, I was surprised to not even see a bottle in a store this year.

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Just passed FR SmB 2017 for 140, not interested. Sitting on the shelf in plain sight.

That one would have gone home with me. 

6 hours ago, Kane said:

I wish that I would have seen that around me.  That definitely would have found a new home.

Knob Creek 25th Anniversary.  1 of 17 barrels according to sign (handwritten) and apparently the only barrel in GA. Probably a decent price at $150. Just couldn`t part with the cabbage. 

18 hours ago, tsangster said:

Knob Creek 25th Anniversary.  1 of 17 barrels according to sign (handwritten) and apparently the only barrel in GA. Probably a decent price at $150. Just couldn`t part with the cabbage. 

Quite a commitment by a store to buy a barrel of $150/bottle whiskey! At that price I am not at all surprised if it was the only one in the state. They may be sitting on that one for awhile. Certainly isn't moving at my local store. I didn't even buy one so you know there is a problem!

I expect it is good (I haven't tried it) but with so many good quality KC 120 proof store picks around for about $40 I don't think $150 is a particularly good deal even if it is MSRP. And that price seems a bit high to me. I am pretty sure I have seen it on the shelf (a lot of shelves to be honest) closer to $130.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Quite a commitment by a store to buy a barrel of $150/bottle whiskey! At that price I am not at all surprised if it was the only one in the state. They may be sitting on that one for awhile. Certainly isn't moving at my local store. I didn't even buy one so you know there is a problem!

I expect it is good (I haven't tried it) but with so many good quality KC 120 proof store picks around for about $40 I don't think $150 is a particularly good deal even if it is MSRP. And that price seems a bit high to me. I am pretty sure I have seen it on the shelf (a lot of shelves to be honest) closer to $130.

I've been in the same boat, however the reviews on this have been pretty great by folks who I tend to have similar tastes to.  I also recognize the irony in saying I will buy this years PHC for $175 and I won't buy the KC for $120, PHC is $110-120 more than what I pay for higher proof same aged ECBP and KC is $80 more than what I typically pay for KCSB which is lower proof and more often than not lower age.

23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This. 

My group just picked a 14yr old barrel so no need to drop that much money on something likely to be very similar.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

This. 

My group just picked a 14yr old barrel so no need to drop that much money on something likely to be very similar.

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but I've read multiple accounts of people saying "my group picked (fill in the blank)"...

What do you mean by "my group" and how do I become a part of these groups? I'd love to help pick a barrel!

Cheers!

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic, but I've read multiple accounts of people saying "my group picked (fill in the blank)"...

What do you mean by "my group" and how do I become a part of these groups? I'd love to help pick a barrel!

Cheers!

Private groups that form with the purpose of socializing and picking barrels. Some are localized groups, such as the Georgia Bourbon Society which a number of people here are a part of. Some are national, such as 1789b, and are comprised of friends from all over who know each other through bourbon and common friends. 

It is difficult to get into the national ones unless you know someone in the group who can invite you. Easier to get into a local one that advertises their functions which allows you to get to know the members.

• I like it 1

Another way to help in a barrel selection is to be respected enough by a local retailer who, after he understands your palate, may allow you to help select a private pick for his retail establishment.    I've done this several times.     It's not the same fun as being in a rickhouse and doing all the tasting and voting right there; but, it's still fun.  

How this works is the distributor will generally bring several samples (3-6, though lately it's not been more than 3 very often) and ask the proprietor to sample them and decide which (if any) he wishes to buy a barrel of.     Occasionally the distributor will assist with the sampling, as well.     Anyway, it's an interesting experience that can be a rewarding one, sometimes quite rewarding; if a honey barrel comes in.     I suspect that happens rather less locally, than it does at the distillery; but, it can happen.     Last Summer I had such an experience picking a Knob Creek locally.    The one we selected (unanimously) was quite nice; maybe the best KC I've tasted!

• I like it 2

Passed on OWA in the mid to high $20 range at several stores because I’ve already got more than I can drink for the next several years, and these weren’t PS single barrel bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Cheers!

You're in one of those groups now. I think the moderators of the ABS and a few of the store owners in the group pick the barrels and funnel them to a few retailers for members to pick up (that's what it seems like anyway). The guys running that page would probably be good ones to talk too if you want to see if you can get in to the sampling process.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

PASS!!!

zMJtB7o.jpg

JMemiI4.jpg

The price of the MMCS and Tin Cup is on par with the ABC's here but the others! Wow! Are these typical Charleston prices? On the plus side at least they are in stock if you really really want them.

Methinks I see a pattern in the previous few posts. Honestly, I am seeing generally the same thing. Frankly, I am seeing way more BTAC and VW stuff on the shelves this year, but most of it is $300, $400, $500 and up. Such a shame, really. I think yesterday’s sighting was over $500 for GTS. My one lucky bottle this year was snagging GTS at Costco of all places for a great price. I know the store kevinbrink posted above in NJ, and it is sad to see they have now gone the gouging route. They used to be a good, fair retailer. Oh well, just venting a bit.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, DCFan said:

The price of the MMCS and Tin Cup is on par with the ABC's here but the others! Wow! Are these typical Charleston prices? On the plus side at least they are in stock if you really really want them.

Cant find this at all in Charleston... This was my old "honey hole" in Georgia. I once was able to get plenty of ETL (one of my favorites) here at a decent price. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.