What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Came across a Murray Hill Club by Magnus for $108.  Don't know much about it, and the quick reading I did reported mediocre reviews.  

Passed on three bottles of GTS for $399 each and three bottles of ECBP for $99 each. This store always marks up BTAC, but usually has ECBP for somewhat reasonable prices, but I guess after they saw that it was declared bourbon of the year, they jacked up the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

Came across a Murray Hill Club by Magnus for $108.  Don't know much about it, and the quick reading I did reported mediocre reviews.  

I found it to be one of the most complex pours I've ever tasted.  it's light though.  Delicate.  More of a soft complex sipper that keeps evolving in the glass as you drink it.  New flavors keep popping up.

Anyway, if you're into that sort of thing, it's fantastic.

If you're looking for a punch in the face, you won't find it in this bottle.

• I like it 3

Passed on Woodford's Master's Selection Cherry Wood for $129. The LS owner told me I was passing up a good one.

Passed on Barrel Bourbon Batch 13 @ $94, and Savage and Cooke Cabernet finished @$59... Couldn't pass on the 4RSmBLE though... even at $150 gotta give this one a try. SUCKER?? 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Daveheelga said:

Passed on Woodford's Master's Selection Cherry Wood for $129. The LS owner told me I was passing up a good one.

I always responded to that nonsense with "oh, really.... Could you pour me a sample?".

They NEVER have an open bottle..... LoL

• I like it 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Daveheelga said:

I would have said, "Oh really?  Have you tried it yourself? How was the finish?"

Passed on Little Book for $64.99 at Costco. 

Have you had a chance to try it? I’m definitely a buyer at that price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • I like it 2

Passed on WTMK Decades @ $159... wanted to grab it, but was already walking out with a 4RSmBLE and an ER Store pick so hesitated for an instant as I passed by the display, then kept walking. Just wondering if it can be that much better than WTRB or the RRSB store picks I have on hand... a little help?

Passed on WTMK Decades @ $159... wanted to grab it, but was already walking out with a 4RSmBLE and an ER Store pick so hesitated for an instant as I passed by the display, then kept walking. Just wondering if it can be that much better than WTRB or the RRSB store picks I have on hand... a little help?

Was talking to a knowledgeable store owner and he told me felt there store pick of RR SB was better. I still plan on picking one up but at $97 and also I haven't got any LEs this year, if I had 1/5th of what you got I wouldn't be in the market.

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Was talking to a knowledgeable store owner and he told me felt there store pick of RR SB was better. I still plan on picking one up but at $97 and also I haven't got any LEs this year, if I had 1/5th of what you got I wouldn't be in the market.

Thanks Nit. I have some RR SB picks that are fantastic so the $159 was kind of an easy pass... had it been $97 I think it would have had a new home... 

1 hour ago, gunnersfan16 said:

Have you had a chance to try it? I’m definitely a buyer at that price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. Haven’t tried. interrsted. But not enough info to justify a purchase. 

I passed up most of the Van Winkles tonight, no experience with them and definitely not at the prices I've seen. 15 year was $999.99. Was on a search for ETL, closest I came was the shelf marker priced at $109.99. $20 cheaper than I saw yesterday although the store had 6-8 bottles lined up behind the counter for $129.99. Still Wow.

On November 30, 2017 at 5:06 PM, lcpfratn said:

Passed on three bottles of GTS for $399 each and three bottles of ECBP for $99 each. This store always marks up BTAC, but usually has ECBP for somewhat reasonable prices, but I guess after they saw that it was declared bourbon of the year, they jacked up the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL...the whiskey of the year B517 sells more then the earlier batch A117 on secondary. I know I'm in the minority that thinks the A117 is better but they all are consistently great bourbons for a reasonable price in the current boom.

Michters 25yr $6500

Four Roses Small Batch LE $500

Parkers 2017 $600

EH Taylor Four Grain $1000

Kentucky Owl $750

Birthday Bourbon $500

PVW 23yr $2500

Etc Etc all the same store too. I guess I won't be supporting a store like that any more. I wish there was a way for distilleries to cut off stores like this. In the end, very few people or nobody will buy these and the market will speak for itself

23 minutes ago, Surtur said:

Michters 25yr $6500

Four Roses Small Batch LE $500

Parkers 2017 $600

EH Taylor Four Grain $1000

Kentucky Owl $750

Birthday Bourbon $500

PVW 23yr $2500

Etc Etc all the same store too. I guess I won't be supporting a store like that any more. I wish there was a way for distilleries to cut off stores like this. In the end, very few people or nobody will buy these and the market will speak for itself

I am stunned by these prices. I would absolutely boycott this store. However, the bigger problem is people with deep pockets who can splurge and sort of enable this kind of gouging. 

3 hours ago, Dango said:

I am stunned by these prices. I would absolutely boycott this store. However, the bigger problem is people with deep pockets who can splurge and sort of enable this kind of gouging. 

Even the deep pockets wouldn't touch those prices. 

8 hours ago, Surtur said:

Etc Etc all the same store too. I guess I won't be supporting a store like that any more.

Where was this?

9 hours ago, Gorzo said:

Even the deep pockets wouldn't touch those prices. 

Guess you have never spent time in NYC in the financial district!

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Guess you have never spent time in NYC in the financial district!

This would make more sense if those prices were in NYC, which is a drop in the bucket for those financial guys/gals.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.