What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Hard to say exactly..but the lowest number I heard was 100 and the highest was 177.  I had 154.  There were probably less than 20 people left and my number still hadn't been called..and they were down to WSR and ER10 so I gave up.  Thanks to another SBr for the lottery heads up.  Someone picked the 1.75 Willett Pot Still over BTAC:huh:  I should have told him I have one of those I'd trade him for a BTAC bottle.

I was number 145 and was about the 25th number chosen.  I got a liter of W12.  Pretty good odds at scoring something good though.  

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Hard to say exactly..but the lowest number I heard was 100 and the highest was 177.  I had 154.  There were probably less than 20 people left and my number still hadn't been called..and they were down to WSR and ER10 so I gave up.  Thanks to another SBr for the lottery heads up.  Someone picked the 1.75 Willett Pot Still over BTAC:huh:  I should have told him I have one of those I'd trade him for a BTAC bottle.

I've run into a couple of those people this season.  With Stagg and THH left on the table....I saw a guy pick Blood Oath and another guy pick regular OWA.

I've run into a couple of those people this season.  With Stagg and THH left on the table....I saw a guy pick Blood Oath and another guy pick regular OWA.

Going to a raffle this weekend, hope to see this.
  • I like it 1

Just got an email that I won an EC18 in a lotto for $179.99. I have until Friday, but I am inclined to pass at this time. 

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Pretty big range for the lottery WSR to PVW 23

Lottery, 20 something pappiez & BTAC, no luck.

Won a FR Al Young or 2017 SmB both at retail, but passed. I already have 3 PS recipes I am not particularly attracted to.

6 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Just got an email that I won an EC18 in a lotto for $179.99. I have until Friday, but I am inclined to pass at this time. 

Given how few bottles of EC18 there are this year (1,461 as I understand), if I had that offer I'd buy it even though it is more than I'd normally pay. At the very least I think you could easily recoup the spend on a trade (disclaimer: I've never flipped a bottle, nor do I would I buy a bottle for doing so). BUT, easy for me to say as I don't have that choice!

• I like it 1

Little book @ $74.99. I just don't know enough about it or haven't tried it at a bar to want to pull the trigger.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Won a FR Al Young or 2017 SmB both at retail, but passed. I already have 3 PS recipes I am not particularly attracted to.

You just made a bunch of people weep who wish they would have such an opportunity. 

I wouldn't pass on those because you are not fond of particular PS bottles. One, those tend to be younger. Two, blends are created to bring out the best of each component part.

If you really, really know that you don't like 4R of any kind, than I understand.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, flahute said:

You just made a bunch of people weep who wish they would have such an opportunity. 

I wouldn't pass on those because you are not fond of particular PS bottles. One, those tend to be younger. Two, blends are created to bring out the best of each component part.

If you really, really know that you don't like 4R of any kind, than I understand.

This year I just don't feel all that enthusiastic about the hunt. It's the bourbon blues. Entering the lotteries I knew I really wanted a WLW, GTS, Pappy 15, or ORVW, and by the time they were gone I was already feeling worn out, looking forward to going home and cooking dinner while sipping my OWA. Can't say I regret the decision. I walked away from PH11 and 4R SmB many times recently, and every time I was more content bringing back home my $130 intact.

I have a bad history with 4R in particular. I liked the Elliott a lot, and that's it. Between all the LE, PS, and regular releases since 2011 I wasn't attached to any one bottle, and my 2014 SmB purchase was such a big disappointment I still can't get over it.

I will work on my current PS trio for educational purposes, but that Al Young probably made it to a better home.

9 hours ago, fanostra said:

Given how few bottles of EC18 there are this year (1,461 as I understand), if I had that offer I'd buy it even though it is more than I'd normally pay. At the very least I think you could easily recoup the spend on a trade (disclaimer: I've never flipped a bottle, nor do I would I buy a bottle for doing so). BUT, easy for me to say as I don't have that choice!

Think your confusing this with ER17.  EC18 for $179.99 would be a pass for most.

41 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Think your confusing this with ER17.  EC18 for $179.99 would be a pass for most.

You are correct- my brain processed Eagle Rare!  EC18 is a hard pass for me too at that price. 

Need more coffee....

14 hours ago, Kane said:

"One man's pass is another man's pleasure". It's possible your pass gave me the opportunity to pick Al Young up, if so thanks, I got the last bottle of it from one of the lotteries this weekend.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:20 AM, Clueby said:

I passed on all this last night..because my number wasn't drawn.

20171210_193529-1429x804.jpg

They really allocate the WSR on a lottery? Almost every liquor store I go into in my area has full rows of the fifths and often handles as well... I don’t get the hype.

• I like it 2

19 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

They really allocate the WSR on a lottery? Almost every liquor store I go into in my area has full rows of the fifths and often handles as well... I don’t get the hype.

They also had ER10 & CEHT Single Barrel as part of it.  Welcome to St. Louis.

8 hours ago, Kane said:

This year I just don't feel all that enthusiastic about the hunt. It's the bourbon blues. Entering the lotteries I knew I really wanted a WLW, GTS, Pappy 15, or ORVW, and by the time they were gone I was already feeling worn out, looking forward to going home and cooking dinner while sipping my OWA. Can't say I regret the decision. I walked away from PH11 and 4R SmB many times recently, and every time I was more content bringing back home my $130 intact.

I have a bad history with 4R in particular. I liked the Elliott a lot, and that's it. Between all the LE, PS, and regular releases since 2011 I wasn't attached to any one bottle, and my 2014 SmB purchase was such a big disappointment I still can't get over it.

I will work on my current PS trio for educational purposes, but that Al Young probably made it to a better home.

I'm with you terms of not liking the 2014 small batch. That said, I've tried most of the LEs this year and while many of them are pretty good, I would personally take another Al Young over any BTAC, the Four Roses small batch, or any Van Winkle bottle at this point. But that's just me and there is something to be said for saying enough is enough in the current market as well. Bourbon Zen is out there

George T Stagg for 700$ and Pappy 12 for 500$ What is a respectable price to pay for these two? These are the only two bottles I've seen in two years! With a MSRP of 90$ for George T Stagg and 50$ on Pappy 12. I haven't seen any price that wasn't gouged, ever. lol Looking at black market prices I see the low end 300$ for George T and 150$ for Pappy 12 and this still seems like too much.

I want to try these bourbons but knowing the MSRP I get mad at the gouging, at the same time I have a part of me that wants to buy them and say F it. Getting more and more discouraged as I try to find the rare bottles. Seems to make me biopolar at times LMAO.  

51 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I've tried most of the LEs this year and while many of them are pretty good, I would personally take another Al Young over any BTAC, the Four Roses small batch, or any Van Winkle bottle at this point. But that's just me and there is something to be said for saying enough is enough in the current market as well. Bourbon Zen is out there

Interestingly in one of the raffles I was in there was at least a couple of Al Young bottles that were taken before the majority of VW and BTAC bottles so it seems there are a number of other people like you out there.

19 hours ago, Kane said:

15 hours ago, flahute said:

I am weeping so hard.  Could not seem to find an Al Young but did get a chance to taste.. which made me want it even more =(

11 hours ago, Kane said:

I feel ya on the hunt.  I had decided on those same 4.  Some of my friends ridiculed me for not snatching a Lot B when I had the chance.  I struck out at 4 lotteries so far.  Each one had more than 2x as many people as last time I attended.  I was able to wait in line all day at 2 first come first served lineups where I oddly enough also passed on a 4R Ltd SmB for an OWA 1.75 Store pick (right decision for me all day with over $100 delta) and then at the second one I was able to pick a GTS.

Passed on W12 For $99.99 and Stagg for $499.99.  This place usually only marks up slightly above retail, but, they said they will sell at those prices.  Guy said they already sold 2 W12s.

Sam's Club had 9 year age stated gift sets of KC for $25. Their non gift set bottles were also all age stated and were $29. Tons of it.

7 minutes ago, RollBourbonRoll said:

Picked this beauty up today. 

30A2092B-00B0-4505-88AD-C2A31B7D066C.jpeg

I passed on a stack of 4 of those the other day.  Just can't justify the $$ in my head. Hope you enjoy it. 

On 12/11/2017 at 7:49 PM, kevinbrink said:

Jefferson's Presidential 16yr $179

I also passed on this @$199. Also passed on Boss Hog @$599 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.