What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a good haul today on some BTAC from a few shops but also passed on a few gems as well.

WLW  $799

Stagg $699

Handy $499

4R LE $599

Haha

5 hours ago, Dango said:

On a business trip to Indiana (Indianapolis) just passed on a Four Roses 2017 LE small batch. 175.00

I'm not a buyer at that price, but I'm trying to think of where you would have seen this bottle.  Most stores I know around here will put bottles like this into their raffle.

23 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I'm not a buyer at that price, but I'm trying to think of where you would have seen this bottle.  Most stores I know around here will put bottles like this into their raffle.

Walked in checked shelves, walked over to LS clerk, asked any limited stuff come in? She walked to the back came back with FRLESmB, and whistle pig10. I asked for a price on the FR.

I asked if she was expecting any other LE stuff, she said it's comes in so randomly there is know way of knowing.

(21st amendment, 1154 W 86th st.)

19 hours ago, DCFan said:

Where was this?

Mission Wine in the Los Angeles area. If you feel so inclined to laugh at their prices, it’s all listed on their website. The ironic thing is I have found many other regular shelf bottles in there for a good $10 cheaper than average.

• I like it 1

Mission Wine in the Los Angeles area. If you feel so inclined to laugh at their prices, it’s all listed on their website. The ironic thing is I have found many other regular shelf bottles in there for a good $10 cheaper than average.

This looks like California pricing. 3rd base Liquor site has stuff like BT store picks $10 cheaper than what I found in NY at $22 or $5 less than TX but stuff like ECBP for $15 more than NY pricing or W12 for $140 more than Texas pricing or WSR for $30 more and sold out.

So I saw a shop in town had the 12 yr Lot B for $700, which I thought was extreme... then I found this at yet another place this evening, yikes:

341C3E49-D884-475B-9AEB-CC5BF0D4F345.jpeg

Edited by BigSkyDrams
Typo

26 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

So I saw a shop in town had the 12 yr Lot B for $700, which I thought was extreme... then I found this at yet another place this evening, yikes:

The CEHT prices are high, too..especially the single barrel.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

They might as well just put "F U" on that tag.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

The CEHT prices are high, too..especially the single barrel.

That’s actually fairly representative around here... no tax added to what’s on the tag though. Most prices at this place were $3-10 more expensive than my usual LS, but there’s tons of bottle-to-bottle variation. 

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Lol...I bought a bottle of this around 6 years ago for around $50 and gave it to my brother in law. I asked him to pour me WA107 & Lot B to do a blind SBS. I'll take WA107 any day of the week and considering I can find it every once in awhile for $21 makes me shake my head at the current boom.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Lol...I bought a bottle of this around 6 years ago for around $50 and gave it to my brother in law. I asked him to pour me WA107 & Lot B to do a blind SBS. I'll take WA107 any day of the week and considering I can find it every once in awhile for $21 makes me shake my head at the current boom.

I’m planning to do a blind tasting with mine, which I got last year for $120 at my main LS, and the Weller 12 I got for $35. I won’t be surprised if the W12 takes the cake.

Passed on JPS16 today. They had 3 or 4 bottles at MSRP of $200. Just couldn't do it. Also passed on 1792 High Rye (since I haven't opened the one I have yet) and a PS of Joseph Magnus.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Passed on JPS16 today. They had 3 or 4 bottles at MSRP of $200. Just couldn't do it. Also passed on 1792 High Rye (since I haven't opened the one I have yet) and a PS of Joseph Magnus.

I've seen the JPS16 in several places recently, and really wasn't even tempted.  I'm fairly certain I'd like most older bourbons, but have a hard time with that price tag, even at msrp.  I'll bite on BTAC and some Pappy, but those are classics.  Bucket list type of bottles...  I may be approaching a Zen-like moment.  Just gotta few more buckets to knock off...

I've been passing on the 1792, 225th anniversary bottle quite a bit lately. 

Now that I've posted this, I'm sure to cave in the next day, or two:ph34r:...

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Bought the JPS at a release in KY. It's good, but juice wasn't worth the squeeze.  Wish I would of went with the AECS instead, which I really have liked in the past or Michters 10yr . Haven't tried that one yet. 

• I like it 1

On 11/26/2017 at 10:06 AM, 0895 said:

Even better still...  :)

IMAG2766.jpg

Finally had a pour of this at Lucas. Keep in mind I am not a big Rye fan, but have no idea why this is so special.

I would have said, "Oh really?  Have you tried it yourself? How was the finish?"

Yeah, this years release is really nice.. Whiskey hits up front with mid palate of cherry and the smoke finishes it out real nice with a round flavor and medium-Long finish. I really am enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2017 at 9:15 PM, Kane said:

They might as well just put "F U" on that tag.

I thought the $450 one of out local stores was asking was bad...  is there no end to what people will pay for Van Winkle ????. Really ruins the opportunity for everyone else. 

I visited one of the local chain stores for its annual holiday sale.  Years past, I would leave with several bottles.  Today, I left with one.  I went in with low expectations and the thought I might walk out with a few FR private selections for $46.75 each.  They usually have good private selections and have all 10 recipes.  I had a few in my hand and then put them back on the shelf.  They had the usual premium bottles, all at a discount.  Nothing stood out as a must buy.  I did see a 1792 High Rye which I have not seen before but it too was a pass, even at $27.00.  I have read mixed reviews and not caring for standard 1792 decided it was a pass too.  Not all was lost, I did walk out with a private selection of KCSB which was one of their older store selections from a few years back for $36.54.  It must have been hidden on the shelf.  

I just find little beyond standard stuff worth the effort primarily because most everything on the shelf continues to be overpriced or NDP stuff that I have never heard.  

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I went in with low expectations and the thought I might walk out with a few FR private selections for $46.75 each.  They usually have good private selections and have all 10 recipes.

Wow, I have never been in a store that had more than 2 recipes.  very nice

dd16eab736f63f7f3215ba8afa3df11b.jpg

I passed this winkle 25 at $10,000.00. I was about $9,900.00 to short.

I also passed on a $700.00 GTS and a $400.00 THH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I passed on all this last night..because my number wasn't drawn.

20171210_193529-1429x804.jpg

That sucks. About how many people were in the lottery?

1 hour ago, Gorzo said:

That sucks. About how many people were in the lottery?

Hard to say exactly..but the lowest number I heard was 100 and the highest was 177.  I had 154.  There were probably less than 20 people left and my number still hadn't been called..and they were down to WSR and ER10 so I gave up.  Thanks to another SBr for the lottery heads up.  Someone picked the 1.75 Willett Pot Still over BTAC:huh:  I should have told him I have one of those I'd trade him for a BTAC bottle.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.