What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

A flight meant to take 2hr ended up being a full day affair. First delays due to weather, then engine failure before take off, the wait for a plane swap, more weather delays, after arrival delayed airport shuttle...

"Relaxing" with an OWA at almost 6am. Must sleep soon.

Welcome Home!   :o

Had a couple of pours of the Loch & K(e)y Society pick of OWA last night - slept like a baby (no snoring either, honest!).   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Nice I'm interested in the Reserve 100 proof doesn't exist down here.

It won't exist much longer here either because it's on closeout. Looking at the ABC website there are only 3 stores that have some left and they're anywhere from 21 to 235 miles from me. It's $15.09 at those stores which is about half off.

Attended a birthday party of a friend .  Started with a really good Old Fashioned made with OF.  He was born in 1977 so we first toasted him with Willet Family Reserve 13 yr old, bottle #77.  Nose on it was phenomenal.  Taste was very good but not as good as the nose until I added a cube of ice and it opened up so that the flavor matched the nose.  Moved on to the tasting portion where we sampled Willet 3 yr. Rye, Willet Pot Still and CEHT SmB.  Headed back to our hotel (Galt House) and stopped by the Jockey Silks Bourbon Bar and had a pour of Blade & Bow.  All in all a great night of bourbon.

8 hours ago, jshleffar said:

OF1920, I may be blaspheming but this is the second time in a row not enjoying it at all. This might become old fashioneds

Have you tried adding just a little water?  A fellow member suggested that to me. I normally don't add water to my bourbon, but this tamed down the 1920 and brought a out a little more flavor. 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Have you tried adding just a little water?  A fellow member suggested that to me. I normally don't add water to my bourbon, but this tamed down the 1920 and brought a out a little more flavor. 

Cheers! Joe

Ive started each of the last two neat but ended with a big cube to get it done. Its fine at that point to me but 20 dollar bottle fine, not 55. I love the mouthfeel and liked the first few pours but for whatever reason I've soured on it. Each time Ive just wanted any other of my high proof options (bookers, stagg jr, noahs mill, ecbp etc). I've got too many others I enjoy to worry about how much I want to like it. Another to the do not restock list! (the gf will be thrilled)

9 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Ive started each of the last two neat but ended with a big cube to get it done. Its fine at that point to me but 20 dollar bottle fine, not 55. I love the mouthfeel and liked the first few pours but for whatever reason I've soured on it. Each time Ive just wanted any other of my high proof options (bookers, stagg jr, noahs mill, ecbp etc). I've got too many others I enjoy to worry about how much I want to like it. Another to the do not restock list! (the gf will be thrilled)

Just goes to show how unique individual palates are. I probably also prefer the others you mentioned except NM (unless it's an older bottle). However the OF1920 is a very unique and tasty pour. To me it's like chocolate covered cherries in a glass. It's WAY better than any $20 bottle I can think of.

• I like it 1

And its a good thing palates differ so much, we dont need to all be competing for the same 15 offerings every year, oh wait..

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Liking the Martin Logans...

Thanks, they're not bad.  I helped my wife (girlfriend at the time) choose those when she was shopping for electronics.  That's just our "everyday" rig in the living room now.   You should see my main rig, which is in storage right now but in about a year I'll have a proper room for it. :) 

My main rig has my older beloved B&W's, powered by Pass and with ARC and Cary preamp. I guess that's my equivalent of a BTAC rig... ;)

• I like it 3

Mixed up a fresh batch of GW4G but I'm having the last of the OWA that was in my mini barrel while waiting for the batch to mingle.

4 hours ago, jshleffar said:

It's all good j. I was lucky in that a fellow member directed me to a bottle that was $50.00. I liked it a lot, but probably won't get another bottle even if I could find one for $50.00. There's one store here that's had it on the shelf for quite a while now for $65.00. They haven't sold one yet. :mellow: 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

Heading to the UK vs. Tennessee game. Having some Cooper's Craft in a 7 Up "flask."
afe75f1a174dbd394bac0be42030d7bb.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Heading to the UK vs. Tennessee game. Having some Cooper's Craft in a 7 Up "flask."
afe75f1a174dbd394bac0be42030d7bb.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

that flask will work great!

Just poured my first WSR and soda to start getting ready for the Clemson / GA Tech game. Probably going to be quite a few more made soon. 

OF1920 while enjoying the World Series. As mentioned by others, a little ice/water helps this one out and brings the chocolate covered cherry flavor forward. I love this bottle.

• I like it 1

It's the 1st cold night, I couldn't help it, had to light a fire. 

Oh ya, having some SAOS while leasing to some Roger Alan Wade on the radio.....

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.963111d139040497a9cac681dd4e7af9.JPG

Trying to create some room in the bourbon cabinet by finishing bottles that I wasn't a fan of. I have been drinking the WT101 and Basil Hayden's for the past few days.

just finished a real big OF1920 old fashioned with my own home done cherries and bitters, I may not like this bourbon a ton but the strength and proof hold up real well to a cocktail. About to pour some jeffersons vsvo since its one of the other  bottles im trying to empty. Night will be ending with a store pick OWA. If any of you look to have any store pick owa, bt, Er10, RR, ECSmB and can get shipments form CA then message me. If this isnt allowed, scold then ignore me.

Feel a little more settled after the move. So decided to "celebrate" getting the lawn mowed for this first time and our anniversary earlier in the week with a little something from the bunker. Damn it was mighty tasty. Cheers.f660025da72d70b3248aefb7f0b00bf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Astros lost so I guess I'm drinking this now.  It's pretty decent especially out of the fridge, but it's not what I had hoped for

WIN_20171028_230810.JPG

4R PS OBSV.  Caramel-Honey on the nose,  super creamy.  Like drinking syrup, but better

Had a great pour of 2010 GTS yesterday, oh my, its no rookie bourbon, so powerful, but not excessively hot, not smooth either, what can you expect from a 143 proof bottle of whiskey, it’s an oak/wood bomb, next time, I’m not using a glencairn, you can’t nose those high proof bourbons in those. Now I’m sipping a sample of Redemption 8yo CS, it’s good stuff too.

Life is good, the simple thing like having a great pour makes me happy, I’m a simple man with sometimes expensive taste 

Cheers! 

Will.

Having a couple small pours of these while watching some football.

A117 ECBP and a some W12.

ec72a897e9f9d2ba8c09b8aa50a847a7.jpg

Continuing our weekend in Louisville we had dinner with some friends at Bristol Bar & Grille before attending the play Finding Neverland.  Nice bourbon list and my first choice was the 15 year Van Winkle.  Server checked and they were out of all the VW bottles.  After a couple of other strikeouts I settled on what turned out to be a pretty healthy pour of GTS.  Yes it's 138 proof but man is it tasty.  After the play we had a night cap.  Had a couple of Kentucky Mules made with WR.  After the past two days I may need to dry out a bit.

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Had a great pour of 2010 GTS yesterday, oh my, its no rookie bourbon, so powerful, but not excessively hot, not smooth either, what can you expect from a 143 proof bottle of whiskey, it’s an oak/wood bomb, next time, I’m not using a glencairn, you can’t nose those high proof bourbons in those. 

Don't give up on the glencairn!! For GTS I'll add some water, bringing it down to around 110-120 proof, and then the nose (and the taste) is phenomenal. Might be blasphemy to some, but for me it's great! Added bonus......your bottle lasts a bit longer :) 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.