What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

37 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

I'm not sure what I'm enjoying right now.

I'm hoping @Bob_Loblaw could clue me in.

Nose: floral, oak, burnt brown sugar sweetness and very subtle alcohol at the end

Palate: more burnt brown sugar and white fruit (pear or ginger) up front that turns to an oak/smoky midpalate.

Finish: slow onset that starts from the chest and works it's way up. Finish is nice. Makes me want another sip.

Adding water added more floral and grass notes in the nose.

Time in the glass brought out a more ethanol flavor that wasn't necessarily horrible.

What in the world is this?

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed! Nice write up! I also get pear from this. I didn’t love it at first but am starting to really like it. 

Elmer T Lee

• I like it 2

All over the map last night...Evan Williams BIB, High West American Prairie, a single barrel store pick Four Roses, and Old Fitz BIB

GTS last night... first time ever...

Wow. Worth the wait... Lives up to the hype... No buyer's remorse whatsoever. 

• I like it 4

1792 port finish.

This was given to me as a sample from @Government Beard. I am really enjoying this stuff! This is my favorite part about working from home :D.

It's a lot fruitier on the nose than the original small batch 1792. The palate is similar to the og 1792, but is more coating and has an underlying tone of strawberry and plums. The finish is the only part of this whiskey I'm not a fan of - it leaves me wanting more of a burn. Not sure what the proof is on this (if I had to guess, I'd say 90 proof) but I would have liked a little more warming and lingering on the finish.

Fantastic pour all around though. Very much enjoying it right now!

Thanks again @Government Beard!

Cheers! JordanIMG_1356.thumb.JPG.91730d5a882c54f8ac5ee96816cdd402.JPG

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Charlutz said:

ORVW 2016 with a Twix stolen from my daughter’s Halloween candy. Shhhh!!!

You'll have to be just as cool with it when she steals your 2036 ORVW !

• I like it 2

Just put together a pot of chili for a bon fire with some friends. While it simmers, a pour of an 11-1/3 yr OBSV, a rarity in today's FR single barrel market.

• I like it 3

I was at a small whisky reunion, tasted several scotches, all I can say is, I don’t like scotch at all, no matter where it comes from, tried a Lagavullin 16, oh man, peated scotch is the worst (my personal impressions) hopefully they had some JD Sinatra Select in the menu for 8 bucks a pour, quite good but I’ll not purchase a bottle. 

Cheers!

Will. 

The 'new' Early Times BIB is really doing it for me at the moment.     ...And, at a decent price to boot! 

Nice stuff, if one doesn't mind a fairly narrow focus, and a rather short but intense finish.    Loads of molasses/brown sugar in front.     I like it a lot.

• I like it 1

I am doing a lil' marathon eve drinking of Jefferson's Reserve. Cheers!a511489c88b5a21a39f1da10c1a5d853.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Back home in Tx today, shook off some of the Virginia depression that was creeping in after 4 weeks (nothing wrong with VA - well, except the traffic and inability for stoplights to be coordinated in any way - but living out of a suitcase gets old), had breakfast with my 2 year old daughter, got a good 5K run in, stacked the woodpile for winter whenever that comes, and even got a little work in to boot.

Sitting on the patio by the pool, sun is shining, calm breeze, 72 degrees, 1792SW in the glass for a change. Not sure I ever need to chase another one of these bottles down (it's kind of bland, nothing really stands out about it), but it's a nice change of pace I suppose. Tgif.

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 3

21 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmm, I like the B&W touch Louisiana!    Very Arty!

Thanks Rich. I'm putting some real art in the pic tonight!

IMG_4489.thumb.JPG.a24f9b110f6fa64e1aeedc1ad299859e.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Louisiana
Too Much Spacing!

Decided to do a little blind SBS with the ECBP C917 (131 proof) and a Batch 3 (133.2 proof). 

IMG_20171103_173637.thumb.jpg.ff4817c72ee557fe64271384bc48d70b.jpg

Both were opened tonight, poured and let sit for 10-15 min before tasting.  Because of the color difference (doesn't show as much in the pick but the Batch 3 was noticeably darker), after shuffling around I "hid" them behind the bottles, and closed my eyes when pulling to nose/taste.  The Batch 3 stood out for me as having a superior nose, just rich and intense brown sugar w/ cocoa and baking spices; even with some water it remained quite rich and thick.  The C917 I thought was less intense - still nice but definitely thinner by comparison.  On the palate, it was much closer.  Both were hot neat, but Batch 3 had a bit more chocolate and cinnamon (and also a bit more heat/edge to it).  C917 had a bit less edge but that allowed the sweet to come through more.  A tad thinner mouthfeel, but more baking spices coming through.  Added a capful of water to both, and both took that like a champ.  Batch 3 was still really rich and thick, with more vanilla and caramel coming out, while C917 had a little bit more dark fruit coming through.

If I had to pick a winner, it was batch 3.  On the nose, it wasn't really close (although the early batches of ECBP are right smack dab in the middle of my wheelhouse when it comes to the nose!)  I actually expected the palate to follow suite, and was impressed by how much closer that was.  While a tad thinner on the mouthfeel, I thought C917 was more balanced and wore the proof a bit better.  And with water it seemed to have a little bit more going on.  Note quite as intense or richly sweet, but more dimensions.  Definitely not disappointed with picking it up, or having one as back-up since I have zero expectations of acquiring more of the earlier ECBP batches.

• I like it 3

I am doing a lil' marathon eve drinking of Jefferson's Reserve. Cheers!a511489c88b5a21a39f1da10c1a5d853.jpg

You running a full or half? Hopefully a little for a full or heck even a half.

You running a full or half? Hopefully a little for a full or heck even a half.
I am running the full marathon. I will have more bourbon tomorrow than tonight. I go light on the libations the night before a marathon, although a nightcap helps me sleep better at hotels.

Fire is heatin' up outside, so a pour of GBS WTRR is up.  WT is sitting on some great barrels in their nest. 

IMG_4271.JPG

• I like it 2

Fire is heatin' up outside, so a pour of GBS WTRR is up.  WT is sitting on some great barrels in their nest. 
IMG_4271.thumb.JPG.931823ece665cc43753057f0fa5e5324.JPG

I really love that bourbon. My favorite after the 4R picks I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running the full marathon. I will have more bourbon tomorrow than tonight. I go light on the libations the night before a marathon, although a nightcap helps me sleep better at hotels.

Awesome good luck. Go easy tonight and party tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

I was at a small whisky reunion, tasted several scotches, all I can say is, I don’t like scotch at all, no matter where it comes from, tried a Lagavullin 16, oh man, peated scotch is the worst (my personal impressions) hopefully they had some JD Sinatra Select in the menu for 8 bucks a pour, quite good but I’ll not purchase a bottle. 

Cheers!

Will. 

Will, in defense of Scotch:

I think in the same way that sampling a very sweet wine, such as late harvest Riesling, followed by a dry Riesling, will make the latter appear a poor example of wine and will mute its attributes, one can sample a mildly peated Scotch after first imbibing some good bourbon. The Scotch is best left to an evening of a flight of different Scotches, with bourbon left to another evening. I like Lagavulin 16, but was only able to appreciate it after making a more or less traditional journey from starter blends, such as JW Black or Bushmill Black Bush (Irish), into basic single malts, into the peated varieties. Bourbon is no different, with each of us perhaps mastering the basics of good starter products, such as EW, or JB, BT, 4R, etc. I do like bourbon, and have certainly noticed that you have managed to obtain some really rare unicorns that most of us stateside can only dream of. I like bourbon, and Scotch, and rye, and Tennessee, but I rarely have Scotch in the same evening that I might be sampling the other three variants of distilled grain. BTW, I also really like Belgian ales!!

Pat

Tried WT russells reserve 10 yr for the first time. I think I've neglected WT for too long. I like it better then my old standby ER10.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Cheers!

Will. 

I feel the same way. Never liked scotch. I always thought it was the peat but I had a bourbon with a high barley grain mash bill and discovered that I am not a fan of barley either. Thank God most bourbons have little barley.

I'm not really sure why but I opened a bottle of age stated EC12 just now. I forgot just how oaky this stuff can be. Not a bad thing just not what I've been used to lately, as I've been primarily drinking rye 

5 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

I feel the same way. Never liked scotch. I always thought it was the peat but I had a bourbon with a high barley grain mash bill and discovered that I am not a fan of barley either. Thank God most bourbons have little barley.

No judgment, but I am a firm believer that a bourbon fan will like any spirit, be it rye or scotch or rum or tequila or whatever. Appreciating alcohol is scientifically proven to be an acquired taste. It's just a matter of finding your gateway. Keep at it!

Blanton's Straight From the Barrel. Been a while since I've had a pour and forgot how much I love this bottle (129.2. proof / Rick #44, Barrel #704, dumped 2-1-16). I hope the next ones I've got waiting in the bunker are as good as this bottle. Absolutely phenomenal. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.