What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My first try at Old Ezra tonight.  It’s not too civilized, but nor bad either.  I like the nose best

20 hours ago, Government Beard said:

The Single Barrel variation I believe is worth the 15-20 dollars over the small batch but this will always be a go to pour. 

This is more astringent than the EC12. Interesting to have them back to back. 

Huzzah

unnamed.thumb.jpg.9da767f299db09627995d3860bb8a810.jpg

Snap a picture of that nice stash in the background in the "show your stash" thread. Looking nice back there.

• I like it 2

Had a small pour of EC18, then PH11, and now working on a small pour of Michter's 10. I think the PH11 is the winner thus far, but they are all great bourbons. The question is which is the best value since I paid much more for the EC18 and PH11 than I did for the Michter's 10. I'll probably have to have a few more pours over the next few days or weeks before I can make that call for myself, but I think I'm up to the challenge. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Had a small pour of EC18, then PH11, and now working on a small pour of Michter's 10. I think the PH11 is the winner thus far, but they are all great bourbons. The question is which is the best value since I paid much more for the EC18 and PH11 than I did for the Michter's 10. I'll probably have to have a few more pours over the next few days or weeks before I can make that call for myself, but I think I'm up to the challenge. emoji3.png

:blink:  Where I come from, Michter's 10 is the same price or more than PH. What did you pay for them?

:blink:  Where I come from, Michter's 10 is the same price or more than PH. What did you pay for them?

I picked up the bottles of Michter's 10 for an average of around $125. I picked up the PH bottles for around $190 each.

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I picked up the bottles of Michter's 10 for an average of around $125. I picked up the PH bottles for around $190 each.

Whoa! OK then. I paid $125 for my Parker's.

Some Jim Beam Black age stated 8yr half pint bottles I recently picked up. Followed up by some ECBP A117. It's odd sometimes I don't dig the ECBP and sometimes it's great. Tonight it's great.

Have a sick kid at home, so I started off with a strong Stagg jr. pour to "help" my immune system. Changed things up with some Rittenhouse Rye for the second go of the night. Decided to top it all of with some HH6yrBIB. Cheers.

Finished of a W107 bottle. Then a pour of W12. Last pour was GW4G. 

Drank while watching Sunday’s TWD episode. Sad to say this season is not so good. 

My first taste of 4R 2017 SmB LE @ dinner.  Very strong on the berry taste.  Missing Brent's usual heavy wood influence.  Supposedly the fall SmB LE was one of the nominated batches for Al Young, that he didn't choose.

Anyway, it's pretty good.

This was a new bottle (bartender opened in front of me), so it'll be interesting to see what air does for it.

IMAG2610.jpg

3 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Snap a picture of that nice stash in the background in the "show your stash" thread. Looking nice back there.

Thank you! Maybe one day :D 

This is a story about how I joined the polo crowd. By accident.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.ae07b44b2a09c5f3824446255511062c.jpg

I don't think you will find Parker's in my area anywhere close to that price unfortunately. The store costs are probably actually close to that in this area with all the surcharges the distributors tack on for individual bottles, partial cases, etc.

Last pour of the night. 

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.c9e17b7c4a8daa3010a78780fb4ba8f9.jpg

Edited by Government Beard
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Had a small pour of EC18, then PH11, and now working on a small pour of Michter's 10. I think the PH11 is the winner thus far, but they are all great bourbons. The question is which is the best value since I paid much more for the EC18 and PH11 than I did for the Michter's 10. I'll probably have to have a few more pours over the next few days or weeks before I can make that call for myself, but I think I'm up to the challenge. emoji3.png

Jeff, you're the man! Hunting down and paying premium price for some super tough LEs, then taking them straight home AND DRINKING them.

Hey folks these ain't bar ornaments--this is drinking whiskey! Very well done.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Is that before or after taxes?!?   :lol:

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Is that before or after taxes?!?   :lol:

Before of course.

Jeff, you're the man! Hunting down and paying premium price for some super tough LEs, then taking them straight home AND DRINKING them.

Hey folks these ain't bar ornaments--this is drinking whiskey! Very well done.

Well, I actually wanted to see if I liked the EC18 well enough to seek out another bottle given the prices and costs to liquor stores that you and I know we have to contend with, especially on Heaven Hill LE products for some reason. I'm amazed that liquor store costs on these items here are almost what selling prices are elsewhere.

I was going to hold off on the PH, but I received a bit of pressure from several friendly SBr's over on the PH11 thread to open a bottle and try it, so I opened the PH11. I figured I might as well open the Michter's 10 while I was at it and assess my recent purchases. They are all good, but I'm not sure yet if I'll seek out another EC18 at what is effectively the same price as the Heaven Hill gift shop.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Before of course.

So you actually paid $637.43 for a bottle of PH11?!?  What you won the Washington State Lottery or somethin'?  I kid, I kid.  :lol:

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, jshleffar said:

Stagg jr batch 8 tonight.

Delicious decision, batch 8 is my favorite of the ones I've tried. Great juice. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think you will find Parker's in my area anywhere close to that price unfortunately. The store costs are probably actually close to that in this area with all the surcharges the distributors tack on for individual bottles, partial cases, etc.

I'm not saying you don't know,  but I'm curious how you do know what store costs are?  I have no idea what a store actually pays for any bottle here.

The couple of bottles you have referenced lately (PHC11 and EC18) I paid $116 and $106 for respectively and im sure the store made a profit yet you note that is below store cost in your market. I was not aware that there was that much disparity in the cost to store price in different markets. Other LEs like BTAC, Pappy, etc. have a consistent MSRP pretty much everywhere so I assumed the bottles cost stores pretty much the same everywhere as well and it was local market pricing, store markup, etc. that dictated what shelf price is.

Admittedly I don't know much about the liquor distribution system.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.