What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CEHT SB - Hitting all the right notes tonight (it always has for me). I've never noticed it before, but I'm picking up notes of candy cane.

Started with some JB Double Oaked (which is probably my favorite Beam product < $30) before going back to the ET BIB.  Enjoyed both, but like the ET BIB more by a far margin.  

Love me some GlenDronach, is that a Blantons SP 375 looks small?  How is that Slane?
It is a fifth of Blanton's. The Plane was interesting, but it is no Blanton's.

I also had some 130 plus proof Jack Daniels.
b5eac4e688af53141a549f135152f948.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Started with some JB Double Oaked (which is probably my favorite Beam product < $30) before going back to the ET BIB.  Enjoyed both, but like the ET BIB more by a far margin.  

I still have yet to have the Double Oaked, hard to believe it would pass Beam BIB in the sub $30 range. Sometimes I can grab KC under $30 as well. There is also the Distiller's Cut coming out soon. Moral of the story lots of good sub $30 Beam as far as I'm concerned.

Ecbp a117 followed by some Teeling Irish whiskey. I️ know, not bourbon but trying to kill the bottle to make some space. On another note ecbp continues to amaze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opened my first bottle of SAOS 11 tonight. Wasn’t expecting much to be honest, I usually am not a big fan of anything under 100 proof but decided to give this a shot based on friends’ claims that low-proof SAOS is great. This did not disappoint! I can’t believe how much flavor is packed into 46.2 abv...might need to find another bottle or two.
038CF3BB-9F34-4E32-A1AA-17EF436F015A.thumb.jpeg.c4a3c56d1408c81ab106fa39845f882a.jpeg

Might be the lowest SAOS I've seen. I just finished a 11yr under 100 proof. Really good but I enjoyed my previous one around 120 proof more.
  • I like it 1

14 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

It is a fifth of Blanton's. The Plane was interesting, but it is no Blanton's.

I also had some 130 plus proof Jack Daniels.
b5eac4e688af53141a549f135152f948.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How was the JDBF? I've been considering this one lately.

• I like it 1

How was the JDBF? I've been considering this one lately.

DC beat me to it. It's on my short list to buy.
  • I like it 1

Had a pour of Fighting Cock 6yr and Heaven Hill BIB 6yr. Previously I've had EW BIB, JW Dant BIB. To me the FC103 6yr is the winner. A great caramel sweetness with the perfect amount of spice, really suprised by the FC.

Need some Fast Eddie JTS Brown to finish this HH BIB/100+ proof analytics. Right now FC for the win.

6 hours ago, NYCBourbon said:

Opened my first bottle of SAOS 11 tonight. Wasn’t expecting much to be honest, I usually am not a big fan of anything under 100 proof but decided to give this a shot based on friends’ claims that low-proof SAOS is great. This did not disappoint! I can’t believe how much flavor is packed into 46.2 abv...might need to find another bottle or two.

038CF3BB-9F34-4E32-A1AA-17EF436F015A.jpeg

HOLY EVAPORATION BATMAN

15 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

HOLY EVAPORATION BATMAN

Also, is the pic tricking me or... is that a quadruple pour or what?!

I am pouring myself a JDSB BP, good times.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

I am pouring myself a JDSB SP, good times.

Thought the same thing, too. A goblet of SAOS

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

DC beat me to it. It's on my short list to buy.

Sipping one myself right this moment, 131.7 proof. Don't hesitate, buy three. One of the tastiest and most memorable whiskeys I've had this year.

BTW. I thought that light label was for the EU market and US got the black. Apparently not.

Sipping one myself right this moment, 131.7 proof. Don't hesitate, buy three. One of the tastiest and most memorable whiskeys I've had this year.

BTW. I thought that light label was for the EU market and US got the black. Apparently not.

Ha I'll start with one, BF seems to have plenty of barrels to pick from and it seems readily available. I thought it was just me that thought the label color was different.

HOLY EVAPORATION BATMAN

Well it's less than 93 proof why not one generous pour.

Anyone know entry proof on this MGP?

I started the day off with a great pour of my favorite 2007 WLW. After a long and very productive day, I capped it off with an almost equally great pour. I finally opened and finished a small sample bottle of 2008 FR's Mariage given to me by Vosgar. I was holding off opening this because I had a few bottles way back when, and knew how good it was. 

For those that don't know, the 2008 and 2009 FR's Mariage's were the predessors of their LE small batch releases. I've had a few FR's special releases over the years, and I've also been involved in a couple of FR's private barrel picks. That being said, I have to say that of all the FR's bottlings that I've ever had, the 08 Mariage is by far my favorite. Not a bad day. :)

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Government Beard said:

SAOS! HUZZAH!

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.d1f8bd8d3719b6ffca19822dc07e1f4a.jpg

I’m a big fan of those too, I’m trying to collect as many as I can, not an easy task in Europe, never had a bad one. Enjoy ! 

Will.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

SBS of EHT BP and Stagg Jr. First, they taste different from each other. Not sure which I like better but the EHT is more refined while the Stagg is both spicier and sweeter. I was maybe hoping I couldn’t tell the difference or that I preferred one over the other so that I could stop buying one, but no such luck. I’ll need to keep shelf space and budget to keep buying both. 

26E2F70E-920A-41D8-BB53-14A0FCF9E04E.jpeg

I couldn’t agree more, both are great though.

Will

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I still have yet to have the Double Oaked, hard to believe it would pass Beam BIB in the sub $30 range. Sometimes I can grab KC under $30 as well. There is also the Distiller's Cut coming out soon. Moral of the story lots of good sub $30 Beam as far as I'm concerned.

Good point - I'd definitely take KC over this, but from my recollection of Beam BIB - I think I would prefer this (although would like to do a blind SBS with those two - just not bad enough to buy a bottle of the BIB). 

Wasn't trying to slam Beam products with the remark - just call out that this one for me stands out.  Probably should have said $25 to clarify that KC wasn't in the list I was thinking about (which was white label, black, Devil's cut, and Bonded).

9 hours ago, Kane said:

It was indeed a double but it was a measured 3oz, the glass is tiny haha.

16 hours ago, Charlutz said:

SBS of EHT BP and Stagg Jr. First, they taste different from each other. Not sure which I like better but the EHT is more refined while the Stagg is both spicier and sweeter. I was maybe hoping I couldn’t tell the difference or that I preferred one over the other so that I could stop buying one, but no such luck. I’ll need to keep shelf space and budget to keep buying both. 

26E2F70E-920A-41D8-BB53-14A0FCF9E04E.jpeg

That matches up with my thoughts too, the CEHT is more nuanced, but the Stagg Jr is sweeter, bolder, and spicier. We differ on the conclusion though, I think they taste similar enough, and the bold profile of Stagg Jr is typically what I want when I reach for a ~130 proof bourbon, so I've stopped looking for the CEHT. Of course, I've only ever seen 1 bottle of CEHT in my area, and the ones I find online are generally 3x the price of Stagg Jr, which is here frequently enough that I can get a bottle or two of each batch at retail, so that helps make the decision easy. 

One thing that is worth keeping an eye on is how the Stagg opens up after you're halfway through the bottle or so. I found the CEHT is delicate enough to be ready to go on the first pour, while Stagg benefits from a bit of air time. A few drops of water are nice with Stagg too.

Edited by EarthQuake

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.