What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A buddy and I did a blind SBS of W12 and Lot B. Both of us found more spice in the Lot B, especially in the finish. I preferred the W12 though I typically like some spice. I guess I just wanted the elegance of the W12. Regardless of which whiskey “won” it was a fun exercise. 

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

This is amazing! I've never seen this.

Would love to try it regular Maker's it's delicious!

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I've never seen this either. Mm46 is about the only Maker's I really like. Not a huge fan of regular Maker's or cask strength. 

Distillery gift shop only.

trying to decide what to pour/open tonight from the other shelf. 

Decisions, decisions. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.c3c682969bb050f0e581b1381bdde253.jpg

• I like it 3

Thought some Old Heaven Hill 8yr was going to hit the spot tonight, but I was wrong. After being underwhelmed with it went with a sure thing.... SB HHSS #2.  A splash of water really brings out all the goodies, what an amazing whiskey!

15 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Decisions, decisions. 

Oh.... Mer... Gerd!!! I think you know which one I would open :D

I envy you, good sir!

Let me know what you decide to open.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

Decisions, decisions. 

Very nice. I know who I'm ominous next time I'm in San Diego.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Government Beard said:

Decisions, decisions. 

If any of those ECBPs are batch 12 that would get my vote. I also didn't realize there were differences in the RHF labels from different years.

I followed up the ETL with a HH6 86 proof green label. I really like this stuff.

• I like it 1

I have 2 primary methods of enjoying pours, one is the afterwork daily type pour, sip and savor while getting things done and whatnot.  BiBs have long filled that roll admirably and provide much satisfaction. The other is the midweek evening pour, a Glencairn,  a couple ounces and sip and savor over a longer time period. This is where the bourbons with more complexity and nice long finishes strut their stuff. 4RSmb has been part of that line-up for a long time, problem is I seem to enjoy it less these days. There has been some batch variation though the current open is a very nice profile there just isn't enough meat on the bones.  I also have a 4RSB with a unique mineral type note on the finish, that was OK for the first 1/4 bottle but I have had enough of its uniqueness. Last week I vatted a 50:50  Smb and that SB for a nice 95p 5 recipe small batch. I am enjoying that more than the individual components so last night it was a nice long drawn out experience with my home blended 4RSmb. The added proof punched up the flavors which the Smb IMO really needs and muted the SBs unique note, still there but integrated vs calling a bit too much attention to itself.

I think Smb is getting kicked to daily pour land going forward and some of my Bibs will join the evening rotation, they are just "in the wheelhouse" these days as Smokinjoe likes to say.

A little pre Tyler Childers show drink while listening to The Steeldrivers. It’s an eastern KY themed night here in STL.  A dang good way to kick off an action packed weekend. Cheers!

1474A936-7F85-4ECE-A7AD-844F1199EDFB.jpeg

• I like it 1

I normally do not drink bourbon over ice, but tonight decided I would have some Bookers over a little ice. 

IMG_2270.thumb.JPG.d31a6919e7fe4edfb16bc2fe2784b6c1.JPG

Only 7 open bottles left as I work on cleaning out my drinking shelf!  Starting with some W12, what a great pour. Caramel/marzipan on the nose and a soft sweetness when sipped.  Thinking my next pour will be a 4R SiB.  Both bottles past the halfway point now.

• I like it 1

EH taylor small batch to start, then the plan is OWA store pick and ending with EH Taylor barrel proof or stagg jr (havent decided yet)

5 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

EH taylor small batch to start, then the plan is OWA store pick and ending with EH Taylor barrel proof or stagg jr (havent decided yet)

EHBP!

First pour tonight. One of my favorite private selections I've ever had from Four Roses. One Hundred and twenty-something proof, bold, and yet massively delicate at the same time.

Huzzah.

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.844faa83af12d5f97ca300ffc3e2fad0.jpg

Edited by Government Beard

A couple of nice pours of a 50/50 FR OBSK/std. OBSV blend.  Proofs out at around 105.  A small splash of water and it is stellar!

The restaurant bar had an old bottle of age stated Old Charter 8 Year so had a healthy double pour. It was decent..maybe not as good as memory thought it was. It took an ice cube or two to take the rough edges off.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, flahute said:

Distillery gift shop only.

They also stopped doing it when they started the Private Selections, the replacement is the same but it's in the PS bottle and called Bill Samuels Selection I believe, I have one at home but I'm in NH

17 hours ago, beasled said:

Spot of Old Rip tonight. No complaints. 

20171110_221757~2.jpg

Just had my first pour of ORVW at a bar last night. To be honest, I was really anticipating being underwhelmed. I’m not a fan of Lot B or Weller 12 (I think they’re good whiskeys, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t get the hype). Consequently, I was really expecting to take a sip and roll my eyes (I guess I’m a bit of a Scrooge). This really blew my mind though, it’s reasonably complex and absolutely delicious. The higher proof really helps out a lot in my opinion. Might have to try to pull some strings and track down a bottle.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

They also stopped doing it when they started the Private Selections, the replacement is the same but it's in the PS bottle and called Bill Samuels Selection I believe, I have one at home but I'm in NH

I thought they had done something like that but could not remember for sure.

Thanks for confirming!

My wife is out and about this morning, so I'm holding down the fort. After a light breakfast, I decided to have a morning pour alongside my second cup of coffee. ^_^ It's been a long, long time since I've had the chance to relax and do this. Ahhhhhhh, what a great way to start a Saturday morning. A tip of the cap goes to SpecialReserve. IMHO, he's the best when it comes to great morning pours. :) 

Cheers! Joe

morning.jpeg

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife is out and about this morning, so I'm holding down the fort. After a light breakfast, I decided to have a morning pour alongside my second cup of coffee. ^_^ It's been a long, long time since I've had the chance to relax and do this. Ahhhhhhh, what a great way to start a Saturday morning. A tip of the cap goes to SpecialReserve. IMHO, he's the best when it comes to great morning pours. :) 

Cheers! Joe

morning.jpeg

Well played sir, cheers! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.