What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight's offering is a toss up between ETL  and RHF. Really can't go wrong either way. Decision made...ETL is in front of the stash. 

Cheers

At my favorite bar, just knocked off a FR Elliot's that I have been drinking for the past few months. It's a sad day indeed.

And now a PH malt. I am really enjoying the fact that this is still available and is priced like a regular pour since bars can't seem to get rid of it. It is awesome whiskey.

IMG_20171108_194919.jpg

Edited by Kane

I'm not saying you don't know,  but I'm curious how you do know what store costs are?  I have no idea what a store actually pays for any bottle here.
The couple of bottles you have referenced lately (PHC11 and EC18) I paid $116 and $106 for respectively and im sure the store made a profit yet you note that is below store cost in your market. I was not aware that there was that much disparity in the cost to store price in different markets. Other LEs like BTAC, Pappy, etc. have a consistent MSRP pretty much everywhere so I assumed the bottles cost stores pretty much the same everywhere as well and it was local market pricing, store markup, etc. that dictated what shelf price is.
Admittedly I don't know much about the liquor distribution system.

Tennessee has probably one of the most unique liquor store market structures in the entire country. We aren't a control state, but there are no large corporate chains allowed, every store has to be licensed separately and the same owner cannot own more than one store. There are some nuances to the ownership structure, but the point is that we will never have a TW, Costco liquor section or Binny's in Tennessee. That unique structure adds substantial additional costs to the distribution channel for limited edition and heavily allocated items. For example, you don't have a corporate office making one purchase of allocated items in case lot or multiple case lots and then dividing that purchase up among all its branch store locations and perhaps delivered to the branches by the chains own delivery fleet. In Tennessee, every store makes their own individual purchases from the distributor's sales force that has to visit every single store in the state. So with allocated items that each store may only get one or two bottles of in many cases, there are no standard discounts that apply and there are surcharges for individual bottles and less than case lot purchases even though they aren't given the opportunity to buy a case. Accordingly, Tennessee store costs are much higher on those items than regular liquor purchases where they can still take advantage of case and multiple case lot discounts and sales.

In regards to knowing what the actual costs are, that is one of the benefits of the structure in Tennessee because you can actually get to know the owners of these stores over time and establish a relationship. If you have a relationship with them, they will sometimes show you what their costs are, especially this time of year when selling prices are questioned on LE items. In the case of EC18, another local SB member and I have actually seen what two larger stores in our area had to pay the distributor for the bottles they received. That cost was more than you paid at retail for your bottle. Now, both those stores still add a premium to their regular markup on LE stuff, but there are very few stores in our market that don't add a premium anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I'm not saying you don't know,  but I'm curious how you do know what store costs are?  I have no idea what a store actually pays for any bottle here.

The couple of bottles you have referenced lately (PHC11 and EC18) I paid $116 and $106 for respectively and im sure the store made a profit yet you note that is below store cost in your market. I was not aware that there was that much disparity in the cost to store price in different markets. Other LEs like BTAC, Pappy, etc. have a consistent MSRP pretty much everywhere so I assumed the bottles cost stores pretty much the same everywhere as well and it was local market pricing, store markup, etc. that dictated what shelf price is.

Admittedly I don't know much about the liquor distribution system.

If you have a buddy at the distributor and buy from them (something that's not supposed to happen) and/or the owner of a LS lets you see his invoice then you know. 

Of course these are just circumstantial comments.;)

• I like it 2

Just now, jshleffar said:

RHF for me tonight

Super jealous! Until I get another bottle (or 5) in the bunker, I feel bad pouring my RHF. I don't want it to be over! Lol

One of my best friends is getting married this weekend and two of us almost finished this whole bottle. Goodness.

20171109_010802.jpg

• I like it 1

Last night's Whiskey Wednesday tasting featured High West's full line of whiskey including seasonal Bourye, Yippie-Ki-Yay, and MidWinter's Night Dram Act 5 Scene 8.  While the the clear winner was the HWMWND (Rendezvous rye finished in Port barrels), they also had a newly-delivered Loch & K(e)y Society barrel pick (1 of 50 barrels offered this year) of American Prairie Bourbon finished in Port barrels (49.8% ABV, 99.6pf) for less than $50/btl - YUMMO!  :wub:

Grabbed two (2) of the L&K bottles and picked up my annual HWMWND - I'm all set for the cold weather that is now on the doorstep this morning (25 degrees and my plumeria is dead!).   :D

Edited by GeeTen

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Tennessee has probably one of the most unique liquor store market structures in the entire country. We aren't a control state, but there are no large corporate chains allowed, every store has to be licensed separately and the same owner cannot own more than one store. There are some nuances to the ownership structure, but the point is that we will never have a TW, Costco liquor section or Binny's in Tennessee. T

I think this is very similar to how Oklahoma operates as well.

We had a little gathering of office bourbon fanatics last night. Weller 12, 2017 GTS, Kentucky Owl Rye, Joe's Weller Version of SB Blend, and Grandpa Weller Four Grain were all poured and enjoyed.

Pre-noon dram of KC at the airport waiting for a delayed flight. Well, not exactly a dram, since the clueless bartender poured me something close to 8oz in typical airport bar fashion.

• I like it 2

I think this is very similar to how Oklahoma operates as well.

True statement.

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

True statement.

I was waiting for you to affirm!  Everything I know about OK liquor stores I learned from you, hah.

I celebrate Baptist ministers tonight.
d62699db077d58512d5d3601515d90bc.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We have some Jefferson's Reserve and Knob Creek.
bc9d4ce993d01c6261fdc740dd6ee8f5.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Love the regular MM46, but at Barrel Proof it goes to a completely greater level.  This is some special whiskey from Maker's.

IMG_4290.JPG

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Love the regular MM46, but at Barrel Proof it goes to a completely greater level.  This is some special whiskey from Maker's.

IMG_4290.JPG

This is amazing! I've never seen this.

Would love to try it regular Maker's it's delicious!

Cracked this open tonight for a little company while I get some work done. I really wish I was better at describing what I'm tasting.

20171109_191319.jpg

Just now, Bnrhodes3 said:

Cracked this open tonight for a little company while I get some work done. I really wish I was better at describing what I'm tasting.

20171109_191319.jpg

Invite me over. I'll tell you what I'm tasting :D. Just kidding - but seriously B)

• I like it 1

Just now, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Invite me over. I'll tell you what I'm tasting :D. Just kidding - but seriously B)

It's going to happen sooner than later! I'll have plenty for your try. 

Jacqueline and I were talking about it the other night, and I think there is enough in the little stash for like 1,300 1oz pours. So plenty to go around!

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

This is amazing! I've never seen this.

Would love to try it regular Maker's it's delicious!

I've never seen this either. Mm46 is about the only Maker's I really like. Not a huge fan of regular Maker's or cask strength. 

46 minutes ago, Bnrhodes3 said:

It's going to happen sooner than later! I'll have plenty for your try. 

Jacqueline and I were talking about it the other night, and I think there is enough in the little stash for like 1,300 1oz pours. So plenty to go around!

Hahaha! That's awesome! When I come over, I'll bring some of my favorite pours too and we'll make a thing of it.

Just let me know whenever you're available :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.