What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a 9 year FR OESQ store pick at the moment but feeling a rye mood coming on. Might pivot to Michter’s Barrel Strength or an EHT rye. Really tempted to break out the Kentucky Owl rye but I’m trying to force myself to ration it...

Tried a new restaurant last night, the Factory in Fort Wayne. Had a Booker's 2017-1 while sitting at the bar waiting to be seated. Bartender asked how I drank it and I said with a few drops of water, he then proceeded to pour the Booker's into a six ounce glass until almost full and then just touched the water button on his dispenser to add MAYBE 1/4 teaspoon! :huh: I thanked him for the generous pour, and told him a pour like that might need just a touch more water! :D 

• I like it 2

A little 4R LE SmB '16 while watching the beginning of Sunday Night Football. Going to follow with the '14 for comparison.

16 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

Tried a new restaurant last night, the Factory in Fort Wayne. Had a Booker's 2017-1 while sitting at the bar waiting to be seated. Bartender asked how I drank it and I said with a few drops of water, he then proceeded to pour the Booker's into a six ounce glass until almost full and then just touched the water button on his dispenser to add MAYBE 1/4 teaspoon! :huh: I thanked him for the generous pour, and told him a pour like that might need just a touch more water! :D 

Wow........that'll keep you in good stead for the night.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

A little 4R LE SmB '16 while watching the beginning of Sunday Night Football. Going to follow with the '14 for comparison.

Nice. Just some 4RSiB here. It almost always satisfies. Have not tried any of the LE yet. 

20 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I know where that is but have never been there.  I need to add it to my try list. :lol:  It is just up the street from a decent liquor store.  Obviously, he deserved a nice tip! 

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Watching the game as well but no LE.  :mellow:  Started with a pour of Bakers, followed by a pour of a blend of a craft bourbon/HW DR which proofed out at a solid 102 proof.  Plan to follow up with a pour of OBSK/OBSV blend that proofs out at 105 proof. 

Yesterday at our tailgate before the UVA game had ECSmB, used some Bird Dog making Old Fashioneds and Manhattans.  Also had 4RSiB Barrel Strength, SAOS SiB 11 year,  and probably some other stuff but don't recall.  Went to a new place in Louisville called the Blind Squirrel.  Had a double pour of Blanton's for only $12.  I took today off. LOL!

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'm interested in this comparison. I openly disliked my '14 and have been passing on FR LE releases due to that bad experience.

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'm interested in this comparison. I openly disliked my '14 and have been passing on FR LE releases due to that bad experience.

A little while ago I responded to a thread about "most disappointing bourbons" or something like that with the 14' Four Roses small batch. It was just a letdown to me, I just never came around to it. The 15' was a good recovery from that debacle though.

I had some 2013 WLW, and had sort of forgotten how much I liked it. Now I'm working on trying to finish a bottle of Bourye someone gave me. It isn't bad whiskey, but it just isn't something I reach for often and I like to keep the open bottles trimmed down fairly regularly so it doesn't get out of hand anymore

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I know where that is but have never been there.  I need to add it to my try list. :lol:  It is just up the street from a decent liquor store.  Obviously, he deserved a nice tip! 

He did get a nice tip, and the prime rib was fantastic. Nothing new at the liquor store unfortunately, except for a few Montecristos... We were staying in town doing some Christmas shopping and Mrs. JT took my credit card and headed into Macy's and asked if I'd rather go explore Liquor stores... This Woman... :wub:

Edited by JTaylor

Tasting my BA Manhattans. The left is a fresh one with Pikesville. The right is the BA. Very Strong oak flavors after two weeks. Going to empty the barrel now. 

D49D1987-99F8-45C6-9B7B-CA8907503BDD.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

17 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Tasting my BA Manhattans. The left is a fresh one with Pikesville. The right is the BA. Very Strong oak flavors after two weeks. Going to empty the barrel now. 

D49D1987-99F8-45C6-9B7B-CA8907503BDD.jpeg

Wow, that did pick up big color.  What's your prognosis at this point?

Moving around the wheater wheel tonight. First WDO then a Bernheim. With all the holiday cheer about only a WLW will work for the finale. Can't wait to get this party started.image.thumb.jpg.6f93a4d5815738b6ff38a2c305f30463.jpg

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Wow, that did pick up big color.  What's your prognosis at this point?

Well I emptied the barrel as if another 15 Min would be the backbreaker! Posted a few more thoughts on the vatting thread. Possibly over oaked. But will use the WSR handle and try again tomorrow this time with some orange peel

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Moving around the wheater wheel tonight. First WDO then a Bernheim. With all the holiday cheer about only a WLW will work for the finale. Can't wait to get this party started.image.thumb.jpg.6f93a4d5815738b6ff38a2c305f30463.jpg

WRDO isn't a wheater? Or did you mean no wheat (WRDO), some wheat (WLW), more/mostly wheat (Bernheim)..by the "wheater wheel"?

Bookers C07-B-7 130.8 Proof. This is one tasty pour. More interesting than the 2017-1 I had at the restaurant Saturday night IMHO...

Started the evening with a taste of VOB BIB that I bought a few years ago, but had not opened until now. Followed with some Charter 101, which I picked up about 4 years ago, but only opened now. I prefer the Charter at this point. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.