What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a couple small pours of two of the "bottom shelf" bourbons I picked up recently, OE7 101 and HH6 90. I liked them both the first time I tried them, especially for the price, but wanted to try them SBS tonight. The winner for me...OE7 101. They are both good, and given the price, HH6 90 is an incredible value at roughly half the cost of the OE7 101 in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a bit of ETL last night.  Told my son I might just sell everything else I've got and invest it all in Mash Bill #2 LOL!  Followed that with some OGD 114.

• I like it 1

Found a sealed bottle of the current PH. Good stuff, it doesn't taste like ECBP in my opinion, but I haven't had any since batch 6, so what do I know.

• I like it 2

I am at one of the best, most genuine whisky bars in Boston. They pour a 2oz ORVW for 13$, and I got the PH for $20. And *everybody* around me is having a Sam Adams...

• I like it 6

Picked up my first barrel proof bourbon today ECBP B517, all I can say in WOW, I love the intense, deeper flavors. Can't wait to try the four roses barrel proofs. 

• I like it 3

52 minutes ago, Kane said:

I am at one of the best, most genuine whisky bars in Boston. They pour a 2oz ORVW for 13$, and I got the PH for $20. And *everybody* around me is having a Sam Adams...

Name?? Location?? 

4 minutes ago, Dango said:

Name?? Location?? 

The Last Hurrah, of course! They are best known for their Scotch, but they always get their pappiez and other LEs, and price it like it is 2010.

Received as a gift from some dear friends.

Lowdown is sourced from Kentucky, a blend of 7 and 8 year aged bourbons, and 'finished' in Oregon oak for an undisclosed amount of time.

Pretty light. Not bad. Not great. 

Huzzah.

\unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.b16dbd263b2a87a61aaa46e8da8d6421.jpg

Having a mash #1 battle at the local watering hole. The Colonel SiB vs ER. A great duel. No loser here.

Might have to switch to Mr Peanut 114 next. :)

Edited by FacePlant

19 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

W12, W12 and now some OF 1920.  Open bottles are getting very looow.

All great stuff! 

I need another bottle of 1920 :(

Edited by Bourbon Fanatic

1 hour ago, Dango said:

Name?? Location?? 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

The Last Hurrah, of course! They are best known for their Scotch, but they always get their pappiez and other LEs, and price it like it is 2010.

Cool. Thanks Kane.

My step brother lives near Boston. If by chance I get out that way again, I'll make it a point to try and stop there. I was out there for a week back in 2014 for a family get together. It just so happened to be the week we celebrate our birthdays. My step bother is 4 years older than me, but our birthdays are only three days apart. He's not into bourbon quite as much as I am, but during the week we opened and emptied a bottle of ETL, and managed to do some major damage to a couple of other bottles too. ;) 

Cheers! Joe

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cool. Thanks Kane.

My step brother lives near Boston. If by chance I get out that way again, I'll make it a point to try and stop there. I was out there for a week back in 2014 for a family get together. It just so happened to be the week we celebrate our birthdays. My step bother is 4 years older than me, but our birthdays are only three days apart. He's not into bourbon quite as much as I am, but during the week we opened and emptied a bottle of ETL, and managed to do some major damage to a couple of other bottles too. ;) 

Cheers! Joe

Let me know if you do, I'd be more than happy to treat you to a pour. 

• I like it 1

Let me know if you do, I'd be more than happy to treat you to a pour. 

This invitation also applies to you Joe if you're ever in Htown.
  • I like it 1

I had some Grandpa Weller's Four Grain from my flask, the a pour of Rare Breed, then a Morton's signature Manhattan tonight. That was the best Manhattan I ever had!! Even came with a chunk of steak in it. 

20171114_203054-1209x1612.jpg

Cracked open my new handle of FC6 this evening in my hotel room. The nose on this is awesome! It reminds me of cream soda. The taste is almost as good as the nose...definite oakiness, which I expected given how dark it is. It's not as sweet as I expected, but that's probably being masked a bit by the oak flavor coming through. It doesn't drink hot to me at all. In fact, it's hard for me to believe it's 103 proof. Definitely a decent value for the money!

• I like it 2

I'm really enjoying this Rare Breed 116.8.  I'm getting some pleasant oak in the nose and cinnamon candy in the finish.  It does not drink hot for barrel proof.  

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cool. Thanks Kane.

Cheers! Joe

Definitely try it, it's a classy old school bar unknown to the college crowd, actually I'm pretty sure I'm their youngest patron :) But keep in mind that Bourbon isn't their focus, outside of the LE season there are better places in town for bourbon (i.e., higher prices but far better selection). They always deliver in the Scotch dept though.

• I like it 1

Well, since I was lucky enough to acquire a replacement in 2017, I poured '16 THH last night without hesitation. WOW that stuff is intense! 

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Found a sealed bottle of the current PH. Good stuff, it doesn't taste like ECBP in my opinion, but I haven't had any since batch 6, so what do I know.

I have seen a number of comments comparing this years PH to ECBP. Like you, I also do not find them that similar. Both great in their own right, just different.

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Definitely try it, it's a classy old school bar unknown to the college crowd, actually I'm pretty sure I'm their youngest patron :) But keep in mind that Bourbon isn't their focus, outside of the LE season there are better places in town for bourbon (i.e., higher prices but far better selection). They always deliver in the Scotch dept though.

Out of interest did they have the 2017 ORVW release, haven't seen any mention of it around these parts yet? That price is pretty amazing especially considering I saw a lot B advertised in the North end at $74 a pour!

I am having Cooper's Craft tonight.
e6d51e8330b0b54967c27698b0e34fb1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Opening day so I stopped at the F.I.L.'s place on the way home from work and had a MM (he keeps a bottle of "the good stuff" in the cupboard for when I stop by) while waiting for my son to come back in from the field. A couple sightings, but no deer down today... Now I'm home having an ECBP B517,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.