What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 year old bourbons are in my wheelhouse, so I’m having the future misses blind pour for me these three $30 bottles.
BCCC6F87-4268-46C4-8BB1-647F56018F9B.thumb.jpeg.61e06aee40e4032b43694fc42bd04285.jpeg

Curious on the results. I've done these three before where ER10 came out up front and HM10 last, than with different bottles with opposite results. The HM10 is great but a lot variation between barrels.

4880851a3ddb4f6ef07858a3ac562da4.jpg

Tonight’s pour and the last from this bottle of HPR while enjoying our fire table for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious on the results. I've done these three before where ER10 came out up front and HM10 last, than with different bottles with opposite results. The HM10 is great but a lot variation between barrels.

HM10 tastes like it’s been in the barrel the longest. The ER is the most balanced and easy going.  I love the WT profile, so I suppose I’d take the RR10 by a whisker. The other two would likely teeter-totter depending on the day.

I poured out a single generous serving (3-ounces?) of KCSB (private pick I helped select my local retailer).     This one is a sweet-caramel bomb!

After a few sips neat, I added 3-small cubes and proceeded out to the picnic table where I leisurely sipped away while the ice melted and the dram evolved, as I read my current copies of a couple periodicals, and the sun sank slowly away on a gorgeous day here in "The Mitten State".     One very enjoyable late afternoon/evening on the first day of October.     It doesn't get too much better...

Headed up to see my now 3 week old grandson and to celebrate my birthday with my wife, kids, son-in-law and grandson.  The kids gifted me a bottle of Old Forester Statesman.  Uncorked it while there and had a small pour.  In the bottle I nosed ripe bananas.  In the glass there was at first acetone on the nose.  That dissipated rather quickly.  A fairly dry feel in the mouth.  At first there was a slight tobacco taste the as the few cubes of ice continued to melt turned into more of a light oak taste.  I know some are so-so about this bottle but I enjoyed it.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Enjoying some ETL while baking a cake

Inquiring minds want to know: is there any bourbon in the cake?

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I poured out a single generous serving (3-ounces?) of KCSB (private pick I helped select my local retailer).     This one is a sweet-caramel bomb!

After a few sips neat, I added 3-small cubes and proceeded out to the picnic table where I leisurely sipped away while the ice melted and the dram evolved, as I read my current copies of a couple periodicals, and the sun sank slowly away on a gorgeous day here in "The Mitten State".     One very enjoyable late afternoon/evening on the first day of October.     It doesn't get too much better...

Hey Rich,  How about adding a 1" thick prime sirloin strip fresh off the grille (rare, of course) with a perfectly baked Russett potato(e) and spinach/mushrooms sauteed in butter & garlic?  I'm finding bourbon mo' betta' with this combo lately.   :D

But I did have sirloin strip steaks mainated in Korean Kalbi barbecue sauce with rice and stir fried Napa cabbaage and shitake mushrooms last night with three (3) fingers of Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain last night.   Didn't last long enough to take a pic!   ;)

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Rich,  How about adding a 1" thick prime sirloin strip fresh off the grille (rare, of course) with a perfectly baked Russett potato(e) and spinach/mushrooms sauteed in butter & garlic?  I'm finding bourbon mo' betta' with this combo lately.   :D

But I did have sirloin strip steaks mainated in Korean Kalbi barbecue sauce with rice and stir fried Napa cabbaage and shitake mushrooms last night with three (3) fingers of Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain last night.   Didn't last long enough to take a pic!   ;)

I'll concede the point, GeeTen.    I guess, given the parameters you mention, it could indeed get at least a little bit better. 

However, for my level of enjoyment, when contrasted with my effort to prepare, I still stand by my original statement.   :lol: HA!    Being a confirmed lazy man, I went for the instant gratification.   He-Heeeee.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, HoustonNit said:

I've seen some black cap handles of the OGD BiB how would that compare to the new bottles? Just wondering if it's worth picking up.

b378edc9b791e3a04a5f8db1341b8749.jpg

I have 4 open bottles of OGD BIB of those the black cap is my favorite

I have 4 open bottles of OGD BIB of those the black cap is my favorite

I was afraid of that response. Looks like I'll need to add a handle of OGD to the bunker.

Does anyone know age on this vs. the orange cap?

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I was afraid of that response. Looks like I'll need to add a handle of OGD to the bunker.

Does anyone know age on this vs. the orange cap?

Thanks in advance.

I'll look at the bottom of my bottle when I get home from work and see if I can decipher anything. Here is a link to a SBS I did a few months back 

17 hours ago, Hop said:

Tonight’s pour and the last from this bottle of HPR while enjoying our fire table for the first time.

What are your thoughts on this?  I generally love all things BT mashbill #2, and my local store has had 3-4 bottles of this sitting in their front display case (typically reserved for rare/limited/etc.) for like $55 (they charge $60 for Blanton's by comparison) for several months now.  From what I've read, the HPR is generally considered a few rungs below Blanton's, ETL, RHF, right?  Is it worth paying $50-55 if I can get  Blanton's for $60? 

• I like it 1

Wasn't from today, but I had my first OGD 114 this past weekend.  It was at a bar that boasted having a huge number of spirits, but the bourbon selection was not very broad or deep from my perspective.  Some pours seemed way overpriced, and others underpriced.  The OGD 114 was $9 for a 1.5 oz pour, and I thought it was fantastic in both flavor profile and value based on what they were charging for some other pours.  Now if only I could come across a bottle at a retailer!  Would be a no brainer pickup for me, based on this first tasting.

12 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

What are your thoughts on this?  I generally love all things BT mashbill #2, and my local store has had 3-4 bottles of this sitting in their front display case (typically reserved for rare/limited/etc.) for like $55 (they charge $60 for Blanton's by comparison) for several months now.  From what I've read, the HPR is generally considered a few rungs below Blanton's, ETL, RHF, right?  Is it worth paying $50-55 if I can get  Blanton's for $60? 

I would spend the extra $ on Blanton's, Hancock's is $40 around here, if i had to pick one that is most similar I would say ETL, personally I like Blanton's the best followed by RHF, the other two are a toss up for me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I'd go for the Blanton's - this is a good bourbon and when I can pick it up for around $42 I do and I enjoy it.  For me it compares more with an ETL which is close to impossible to find more so than the Blanton's

• I like it 2

Still working on samples tonight, ‘14WLW and now some Elliot’s Select. The Weller is excellent like always, for a hazmat, not that hot, a flavor bomb. The 4R is just another great bottle produced by them, I’ve never had a bad 4R, honestly, I’ve enjoyed all of them.!

Cheers!

Will. 

ER10 Store Pick from Bayway (Barrel 365) from some years back.  Beautiful balance between light barrel notes, vanilla and cherry.  I'd drink this 365 if I had enough.  Killed one of these with friends years ago at a campfire after a full day trout fishing.  Came home, bought more and then forgot about them in the bunker.  ER10 has been getting some love around here, so pulled this randomly from the bunker.  Kind of like putting on a pair of pants and pulling a wad of money from the pocket...I love that!  Just a killer bottle.

• I like it 2

This is really nice, the best of the Barrell Bourbon products I've tried so far and there are several great ones out there.

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.2bac6f81e08a48c873d29f2a2d1335bc.JPG

• I like it 1

ER10 Store Pick from Bayway (Barrel 365) from some years back.  Beautiful balance between light barrel notes, vanilla and cherry.  I'd drink this 365 if I had enough.  Killed one of these with friends years ago at a campfire after a full day trout fishing.  Came home, bought more and then forgot about them in the bunker.  ER10 has been getting some love around here, so pulled this randomly from the bunker.  Kind of like putting on a pair of pants and pulling a wad of money from the pocket...I love that!  Just a killer bottle.

So much good in this post.
  • I like it 1

Back to the CEHT BP. I seriously don't enjoy how this bottle has evolved over the past 2 months. Amazing BT profile at first, orange fest halfway through the bottle, and now it's become extremely bitter and sappy.

IMG_20171002_203701.jpg

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Still working on samples tonight, ‘14WLW and now some Elliot’s Select. The Weller is excellent like always, for a hazmat, not that hot, a flavor bomb. The 4R is just another great bottle produced by them, I’ve never had a bad 4R, honestly, I’ve enjoyed all of them.!

Cheers!

Will. 

I've always thought the 14WLW was the best yr of the best whiskey. I never tasted it before...maybe 10 or 11 but the 14 was surely blessed by angels.

Truely incredible, and sadly my is empty bottle blues now.

On 10/1/2017 at 7:04 PM, Hop said:

This picture inspired me to pour a glass of this myself.  I would love to find enough bottles of this to make it my daily drinker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.