What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since I picked up a spare over the weekend I poured the missus and I some Blanton's. It's always good but sometimes comes across a little plain or boring. Tonight it is delicious and is hitting all the right notes.

20171002_210723-756x1008.jpg

25 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Since I picked up a spare over the weekend I poured the missus and I some Blanton's. It's always good but sometimes comes across a little plain or boring. Tonight it is delicious and is hitting all the right notes.

20171002_210723-756x1008.jpg

Looks tasty.  Sipping some OESK  here now.  This bottle keeps getting better and better over time.  Go Chiefs.

Just some OGD BiB tonight. Wondering why it's been so long since I've pulled this one out, I know why Harry in DC stashes this in his armchair trash can.

Great nose reminds me of OF Sig or 1792 but unlike those a nice mouthful and finish.

21 hours ago, flahute said:

Inquiring minds want to know: is there any bourbon in the cake?

Haha, alas no.  Sorry to disappoint y'all.  

Haha, alas no.  Sorry to disappoint y'all.  

Yeah didn't want to say anything when I saw baking a cake was a bit suprised. Most people tend to post something along the lines of while smoking a brisket, grilling a steak, making some chili. Not baking a cake.
  • I like it 1

Yeah, I'm comfortable.  Don't need to live up to the whiskey culture image or whatever that is.  

Yeah, I'm comfortable.  Don't need to live up to the whiskey culture image or whatever that is.  

Love a good cake wish I had more baking skills.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Not sure why there should be any insinuation of shame in baking a cake. Love me a good cake! As far as I'm concerned, there was bourbon next to the cake being made so it's all good.

After all the comments about bourbon cream today in the "What Did You Purchase..." thread today I had to have a pour tonight for dessert. Also, do we have two "What are you enjoying Fall 2017" threads?
20170926_213239-756x1008.thumb.jpg.6b30ea107d59715dea4c264cf6c199ed.jpg

Love the stuff too. Picked up a bottle yesterday, but when I had a glass I ended up adding a splash of Buffalo Trace to it for more kick.
Yum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I've always thought the 14WLW was the best yr of the best whiskey. I never tasted it before...maybe 10 or 11 but the 14 was surely blessed by angels.

Truely incredible, and sadly my is empty bottle blues now.

Never the earlier versions (pre 2014) either, but this '14 WLW was mind blowing, still prefer the 2015. 2016 would be my less favorite of the bunch.  

8 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Steak with a little SA Old Scout.

Huzzah

59d30745c51b6_unnamed3.thumb.jpg.4a1696e92579aa1b5b10df795eefed4e.jpg

Yummy 

1 hour ago, Masset1982 said:

Yummy 

When I opened this bottle it was really good but a little untamed. At the proof I suppose it's to be expected. It's been open about 3-4 months now and I must say it has gone from good to sensational. I will have to slowly nurse the last quarter of the bottle.

huzzah 

Edited by Government Beard

9 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

When I opened this bottle it was really good but a little untamed. At the proof I suppose it's to be expected. It's been open about 3-4 months now and I must say it has gone from good to sensational. I will have to slowly nurse the last quarter of the bottle.

huzzah 

The last quarter of a bottle is generally the best, at least for cask strength whiskey. I'm working on SAOS 8 yr cask strength bourbon which is very tasty, on the other side, i have also a 11yo single barrel store picks opened, low abv and non cask strength, very different animal, smooth, short finish, definitely not as tasty as the 8 yr (2014 bottled by Sarah)

Cheers! 

Will.

13 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

The last quarter of a bottle is generally the best, at least for cask strength whiskey. I'm working on SAOS 8 yr cask strength bourbon which is very tasty, on the other side, i have also a 11yo single barrel store picks opened, low abv and non cask strength, very different animal, smooth, short finish, definitely not as tasty as the 8 yr (2014 bottled by Sarah)

Cheers! 

Will.

Bottled by Sarah, likewise.

Familar with the maturation of cask strength bottles over time after their opening. But with that said, this one has developed especially beautiful.

Didn't you have a store pick from somewhere in London? Gerry's perhaps? Ever open?

Huzzah

Edited by Government Beard

4 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Bottled by Sarah, likewise.

Familar with the maturation of cask strength bottles over time after their opening. But with that said, this one has developed especially beautiful.

Didn't you have a store pick from somewhere in London? Gerry's perhaps? Ever open?

Huzzah

You're well informed sir! It's not that one, mine is an 11yo bottled for "True Spirits", but i've tasted the Gerry's SAOS 10yo, it was pretty good actually, in the same range than my 11yo.

2 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

You're well informed sir! It's not that one, mine is an 11yo bottled for "True Spirits", but i've tasted the Gerry's SAOS 10yo, it was pretty good actually, in the same range than my 11yo.

Wonderful.

I didn't make it to Gerry's last time I was in London. I think their store picks were going for an arm and a leg.

1 minute ago, Government Beard said:

Wonderful.

I didn't make it to Gerry's last time I was in London. I think their store picks were going for an arm and a leg.

you're right about that, not cheap at all, around £90, European prices are pretty bad :-(( 

Edited by Masset1982
f...ed up

Never the earlier versions (pre 2014) either, but this '14 WLW was mind blowing, still prefer the 2015. 2016 would be my less favorite of the bunch.  

Reviews I've seen on the 17 are good. Not like I'll get a bottle though.

7 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

you're right about that, not cheap at all, around £90, European prices are pretty bad :-(( 

It was £75 which for a single barrel store pick in the UK isn't bad going. We're never getting near US prices in the UK and I've gotten over that a long time ago (as I imagine many US people have with Scotch prices). Europe not so bad, there are some amazing prices in Germany (if you can find a site that exports) and who knows, maybe with Brexit we'll end up an island with our own amazingly priced impor...hahahahaha no I can't do it, sorry, we're fucked. 

21 minutes ago, beasled said:

It was £75 which for a single barrel store pick in the UK isn't bad going. We're never getting near US prices in the UK and I've gotten over that a long time ago (as I imagine many US people have with Scotch prices). Europe not so bad, there are some amazing prices in Germany (if you can find a site that exports) and who knows, maybe with Brexit we'll end up an island with our own amazingly priced impor...hahahahaha no I can't do it, sorry, we're fucked. 

Sorry I forgot to mention shipping included. £75 if you can go pick it up is a fair price, you’re totally right. I’ve got shipping problems too with Germans retailers, they do not ship to Belgium, it’s a bummer because they are cheaper than most of European retailers. 

35 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Reviews I've seen on the 17 are good. Not like I'll get a bottle though.

Seems like another great WLW, more bottles this year which is quite nice. Hunting season is on. Hope you’ll get one. I’m gonna try very hard to get a Stagg and WLW, we will see. 

19 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

Sorry I forgot to mention shipping included. £75 if you can go pick it up is a fair price, you’re totally right. I’ve got shipping problems too with Germans retailers, they do not ship to Belgium, it’s a bummer because they are cheaper than most of European retailers. 

Same with the Netherlands, some seem to ship, others not. 

Gerrys just had a few bottles of a cask strength version of the same cask delivered, think it's over 60%, £95. 

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

Same with the Netherlands, some seem to ship, others not. 

Gerrys just had a few bottles of a cask strength version of the same cask delivered, think it's over 60%, £95. 

Sound pretty tasty to me, I would have bought it, need to check this retailer more often ;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.