What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Hop said:

Tonight I finish a bottle of ECBP B517 toasting to the life of the finest man I ever knew.

My father passed away yesterday at the age of 93. I was able to spend the last 3 1/2 weeks of his life with him and caring for him as he cared for me all of his life.

When we speak of the “greatest generation” this is who we are talking about. My father grew up in the Great Depression, served in WWII in the European Theatre of Operations, received several medals as well as four Bronze Stars and yet rarely spoke of his time in service. He was a Godly man with a great sense of service to God but most of all he was the best father anyone could ever have. He taught me to be a man, a father, a husband, and I only hope I can be even a small percentage of the father to my children, husband to my wife, and friend that he was to to all of us.

Here’s to you Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A salute to your father! He sounds like an awesome father and man. As the son of Vietnam Vet, I understand the effect that war has on those who served. I am toasting him and you with the OWA that is currently in my glass.

• I like it 2

Just returned from a long holiday weekend in Bend, OR with a group of friends.

I drank what I brought with me: KCSiB store pick, RY10yr, ER10 store pick, 4RSiB, and a RRSiB private barrel pick.

They were all tasting great. Hadn't had ER10 in a while and it was tasting special. Might be because I hadn't had any BT mash #1 in a long time.

The 4RSiB tasted mighty fine while sitting in the hot tub celebrating the Ohio State victory.

Poured some more after Auburn beat Alabama. I don't have a dog in that fight, but all the people I was with are Auburn grads, and, the Alabama loss helps to keep OSU's playoff hopes alive, however slim they may be.

Now back home after the long drive sipping on OWA.

Ready for the holidays!

• I like it 2

On 11/25/2017 at 8:40 PM, DeepCover said:

I finally got around to trying my sample of Winchester Straight Bourbon this evening, and what a magnificent beast she is.

As majestic as the cascading waters of a drainage pipe, this western-themed fire water is the color of Gumout octane booster with the nose to match, and guaranteed to make the whiskers on your Van Dyke beard stand on end. 

Less reminiscent of a bourbon, the label design is more befitting the box of a commemorative lever action, touting "since 1866", clearly no reference to the lineage of the juice in the bottle.

The palate delivers a bonanza of pickle juice, with a dash of cinnamon, grains and spearmint. It drinks hotter than the proof suggests.

The finish is nearly nonexistent, aside from hints of lingering pickle and notes of menthol. This hot mess from TerrePURE is all hat and no cattle.

image.jpeg

They had this at a tasting at TW. What a mess! It was the worst Whiskey I have ever tasted. It was like I had a full mouthful of Raid. 

2 hours ago, Hop said:

Tonight I finish a bottle of ECBP B517 toasting to the life of the finest man I ever knew.

My father passed away yesterday at the age of 93. I was able to spend the last 3 1/2 weeks of his life with him and caring for him as he cared for me all of his life.

When we speak of the “greatest generation” this is who we are talking about. My father grew up in the Great Depression, served in WWII in the European Theatre of Operations, received several medals as well as four Bronze Stars and yet rarely spoke of his time in service. He was a Godly man with a great sense of service to God but most of all he was the best father anyone could ever have. He taught me to be a man, a father, a husband, and I only hope I can be even a small percentage of the father to my children, husband to my wife, and friend that he was to to all of us.

Here’s to you Dad.

Sorry for your loss. Without a doubt a great man.

Having a night cap of WT13 . 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Hop said:

Here’s to you Dad.

Hop, we lost my father in May.  You have my sincerest condolences.  When dad passed I asked everyone on SB to toast him with their next pour.  I shall pay that forward with my next one.  Sounds like a great man.

• I like it 1

They had this at a tasting at TW. What a mess! It was the worst Whiskey I have ever tasted. It was like I had a full mouthful of Raid. 

Need to get one of these.

Let's see, took a few bottles to my nieces for Thanksgiving (her husband is getting into bourbon so I wanted to give him a chance to taste some things he might not have).  Ended up having some WTRB 116.8.  Friday after a U of L women's basketball game I had a pour of Stagg Jr.  Saturday just some basic BT while watching my Card's whoop up on the Wildcats.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Need to get one of these.

If you can get it cheap stock up so you have something to kill weeds with next spring. 

If you can get it cheap stock up so you have something to kill weeds with next spring. 

I intend to buy a travel size bottle of this. Bad whiskey occasionally makes you appreciate the good stuff even more.
  • I like it 1

36 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I intend to buy a travel size bottle of this. Bad whiskey occasionally makes you appreciate the good stuff even more.

And occasionally it gives you the runs.

• I like it 2

Cracked a 13 year old store pick of KC yesterday. It’s a seriously great barrel, just on the verge of being over-oaked but manages to stay delicious and balanced. Picked it up while traveling for the holiday and bummed I won’t be able to grab another.

924F705E-74A3-4214-890F-604A05137E73.jpeg

Tried a few different things at the bar over the weekend. Luckily I have a buddy who works at the local watering hole

damn pictures are too large. Anyway, tried 4 ???? AY, RRSB Rye PS, a few Knob Creek PS, and the 4 ????Elliot Select. All very tasteful.

huzzah

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.727742dd7d5237e5340dfc4bc7335675.JPG

Edited by Government Beard

23 hours ago, Hop said:

Here’s to you Dad.

I am so sorry to hear this, Hop.  It sounds like he was a great man.   I hope that the pain that you surely feel passes quickly.  Toasting his life, and your memories of him, with Rare Breed tonight.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

Tried a few different things at the bar over the weekend. Luckily I have a buddy who works at the local watering hole

damn pictures are too large. Anyway, tried 4 ???? AY, RRSB Rye PS, a few Knob Creek PS, and the 4 ????Elliot Select. All very tasteful.

huzzah

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.727742dd7d5237e5340dfc4bc7335675.JPG

How was the 4R SB PS rye and how would you compare to some other ryes in that price range?

Here’s to you Dad.

I drink some ETL not to mourn your lost but to celebrate the life your father lived and the lasting impression he left on you. 93 is a heck of a run and to live a life as full as that over those years. Doesn't make things easier as we always want more time with our loved ones. Cheers.
  • I like it 2

36 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

How was the 4R SB PS rye and how would you compare to some other ryes in that price range?

Four roses Rye? No it was a russels reserve Rye Private selection. Was damn good. Right when I walked in my buddy goes "you have to try this" and gave me a pour. My only complaint is that I can't buy a bottle. This and the Al Young were the highlights.

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.123f5a7403929b337e3a28b1ee5bad7d.JPG

Digging back into this tonight. I'm getting a huge nutty note tonight I don't remember the first time around. There's a lot of wood, too..which I did get the first time.

Tasty stuff.

20171127_215434-1209x1612.jpg

Don’t dismiss it ‘cause of the plastic screw cap and sub $25 price point. Great nose, nice mouth feel, spicy yet mellow finish. Try some if you haven’t. 

OF Sig. 

0B5E8D39-9B69-4851-91EE-C3FC89710529.jpeg

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

Four roses Rye? No it was a russels reserve Rye Private selection. Was damn good. Right when I walked in my buddy goes "you have to try this" and gave me a pour. My only complaint is that I can't buy a bottle. This and the Al Young were the highlights.

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.123f5a7403929b337e3a28b1ee5bad7d.JPG

Sorry mistype meant RR. Very good to hear, I'm snagging a PS of this if I ever see one.
  • I like it 1

Not quite the middle of winter... But Midwinternight's dram it is. I'm debating going to get a third bottle as somehow the bevmo near me has only sold 2 of their 5 over the last month, to me.

• I like it 2

I have been enjoying several offerings from Wild Turkey over the recent days/weex.  

Among them a private pick (GBS) of RRSB, a couple of iterations of Rare Breed, a 'semi-dusty' bottle of WT101, as well as 'new' bottle of WT101.    All have been hitting the right notes for me, nearly every pour.  

The Turkey has (for me at least) a great balance of sweet spices, peppery spice, oak, char, and caramel all tied up in bow.    :P ...And a bonus for most of these is the rich mouth feel, as well as a satisfying finish.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.