What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Baker's for me this evening. 

I can really pick out butterscotch tonight. Which is a bonus :-)

Cheers 

• I like it 2

Had an epic tasting with a couple new/newer friends. Order for overall winner was Al Young, Weller, Stagg, Booker 25th, Elliots, 4 grain, Saos. Top three were all within one point. The last three were unanimous. 

imagejpeg_0.jpgWeller Sr 7 year and Handy were being tasted after all the rest

Edited by bourbon4all
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

Had an epic tasting with a couple new/newer friends. Order for overall winner was Al Young, Weller, Stagg, Booker 25th, Elliots, 4 grain, Saos. Top three were all within one point. The last three were unanimous. 

Nice tasting!  From the fill in the THH, I'm guessing that it's not the 2017.  But IFF ("if and only if" - MIT math professor) I'm wrong (and I've been know to be very wrong sometimes), please let us know what you think about her.  I won one (2017) in a lottery recently and . . . . . . . .    :ph34r:

7 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

Now that is bourbon bling!!  How did you orchestrate the tasting?  Blind?

Arrived early for a release of an OWA Store Pick and they ran out 3 people in front of me.  So took 2 different barrels of EC store picks and some Johnny Drum (never had it, but I am giving it a try based on what some on here say about it).

87369668-913F-45E1-AE91-78342E2784FF.jpeg

Having a very good class of regular BT '09. I've had this bottle for some time, and when I opened it a few weeks ago the cork broke. It still works good enough though.... I don't think the bottle is going to be around to long anyway. IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.4384ec03aca41e5c9c394d50a3e3799b.JPG

OE1017YR. Damn this is good bourbon. At $17 a bottle I need to restrain myself from my hoarding tendencies.

7 hours ago, El Vino said:

Now that is bourbon bling!!  How did you orchestrate the tasting?  Blind?

No just lined em up and took em down one after the other.... With of course some serious time spent on each one, between each one (clearing pallet), and talking about all things bourbon. It started out planned as couples hanging out and we intended on just doing the two four roses (mine) and the WLW and Stagg his. When his friend heard what the line up was he joined and brought the bookers 25th and so it became what it was (great). The eh taylor 4 grain saos and handy were all bonuses and was great to put them up against such power hitters. Order of tasting was elliot, booker 25, WLW, Stagg, Al Young, Elliot (again to put next to young), 4 grain, saos. Than we had some handy while making our lists. The little weller was a gift from me and the friend was trying it. 

Opened one of the 2 Elijah Craig Store Picks I bought today and it is fantastic.  This particular one is a 12 year old.  I considered opening the 8 year old pick first, but I’m glad I went with the older one.

7507D176-A9CB-4389-B6DE-6E806D96D12F.jpeg

Opened up a half-sized store pick version of Blanton's.  Been awhile since I had a Blanton's open.  Nice to go back and enjoy an 'old flame'

20171202_210814.jpeg

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

No just lined em up and took em down one after the other.... With of course some serious time spent on each one, between each one (clearing pallet), and talking about all things bourbon. It started out planned as couples hanging out and we intended on just doing the two four roses (mine) and the WLW and Stagg his. When his friend heard what the line up was he joined and brought the bookers 25th and so it became what it was (great). The eh taylor 4 grain saos and handy were all bonuses and was great to put them up against such power hitters. Order of tasting was elliot, booker 25, WLW, Stagg, Al Young, Elliot (again to put next to young), 4 grain, saos. Than we had some handy while making our lists. The little weller was a gift from me and the friend was trying it. 

Man... I have zero friends that would ever bring me a mini of bourbon even. And when I offer them Pappiez and BTACs they hate it, and make me feel like I'm torturing them. What am I  doing with my life? I'll move somewhere far away and start anew.

Good old OWA to drown my sorrow tonight.

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Man... I have zero friends that would ever bring me a mini of bourbon even. And when I offer them Pappiez and BTACs they hate it, and make me feel like I'm torturing them. What am I  doing with my life? I'll move somewhere far away and start anew.

Good old OWA to drown my sorrow tonight.

I can tell you it took a long time to find another bourbon nerd in my town to socialize with. Obviously worth it. 

I'm having one of those exceptional palate nights. Started last night with the final pour of an ER10 store pick tasting stellar followed by KC9yr tasting stellar (about as good as it's ever tasted), followed by 4RSiB tasting stellar (well, it tastes stellar a lot, but it was extra good last night).

Tonight, started with the same KC9yr and it's still tasting stellar. 4RSiB again was over the top. Decided to test it with the '17 OFBB. I've had a few pours of this and have been unsure. Tonight? It's as good as any OFBB has ever been. Shoot. I'm in trouble now. With everything tasting so good I'm in danger of overdoing it.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, flahute said:

I'm having one of those exceptional palate night.

Shoot. I'm in trouble now. With everything tasting so good I'm in danger of overdoing it.

Well, you gotta make hay while the sun shines..

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

Well, you gotta make hay while the sun shines..

This is true.

On it.

• I like it 1

Been a little while since I've had some of this one. Pretty tasty.

32Ljc6J.jpg

Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nice tasting!  From the fill in the THH, I'm guessing that it's not the 2017.  But IFF ("if and only if" - MIT math professor) I'm wrong (and I've been know to be very wrong sometimes), please let us know what you think about her.  I won one (2017) in a lottery recently and . . . . . . . .    :ph34r:

What are you saying about the THH 2017? Good or no good?  Haven't opened mine yet..and surprised it didn't even make his list.

I had a heavy pour of OF1920 to start last night. It is really becoming one of my favorite pours. Sort of drink where first sip can be a bit confusing, because of the complexity, but by the end of the glass you’re savoring smaller and smaller amounts just to keep the flavor going and blossoming... then I opened a John J. Bowman SiB. It was good, but i didn’t let it breath much after opening the bottle, so I expect it to develop with more air exposure. I just recently found out (from reading archived threads here) that it’s buffalo trace mashbill #1 redistilled and not #2. I want to try it sbs against like eagle rare and EHTSmB. See how the extra distillation and Virginia ageing change it... tonight I was drinking wine and beer, but night capped with a Weller 12 yr.  Quality bourbon weekend!

Edited by BigSkyDrams

At Bistro 301 in Louisville before a play tonight I did a flight of Michters US-1, Blanton's, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Jefferson's Reserve.  Had a nice glass of Cabernet with my filet.  After the play we stopped by Silver Dollar for dessert and had a pour of Old Charter 10 year old and Ancient Ancient Age.  If you're ever in Louisville both these places have really strong bourbon lists.

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Celebrating another Big 12 Championship for my Sooners. 

WTRB WT-01-99 & WT Decades. 

Boomer!!

• I like it 1

Hung out with a fellow SB'er tonight, played some board games,  drank some whiskey.  Good times !

-1960's ancient age.

- 1960's antique 6 year.

-N.D. old grandad

-SAOS "TEN"

-EHT barrel proof (2015)

-rebel yell 10 yr. Single barrel

-knob creek 25th anniversary 122.8p

- SAOS Rye

and finally some OWA @ home b4 bed.

IMAG2844.jpg

IMAG2846.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.