What Bourbon Are You Enjoying? (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had some Noah's Mill tonight after not liking it much the first time. Maybe the third time's a charm. Seemed extra spicy, alcohol strong and maybe cardboard or leathery?  I'm not good at the tasting notes. I just know it didn't leave me with a "now that's a good bourbon" feeling like RY 10 did over the weekend. Does that make sense?

moved on to open and try one of the maker's 46 BP store picks I grabbed the other day. Really good stuff, may go and grab an extra or two of this one, the other is good but not worth bunkering spares.

8 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

moved on to open and try one of the maker's 46 BP store picks I grabbed the other day. Really good stuff, may go and grab an extra or two of this one, the other is good but not worth bunkering spares.

How much do you pay for those if you don't mind me asking? I sure wish I could get my hands on some of that, just can't find any. :(

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I'm having a dram of the same bottle. What needle do you have hooked up?

Right now it's a Shure M55e

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Bourbinvestor said:

I had some Noah's Mill tonight after not liking it much the first time. Maybe the third time's a charm. Seemed extra spicy, alcohol strong and maybe cardboard or leathery?  I'm not good at the tasting notes. I just know it didn't leave me with a "now that's a good bourbon" feeling like RY 10 did over the weekend. Does that make sense?

I would describe the current open bottle I have as weird, not bad but definitely not a profile I'm used to. In recent years these have been incredibly inconsistent in quality. They were always somewhat inconsistent in profile but at least seemed to be consistently good when it was Age stated and even with the Wax top bottles I had in the past.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I really like this stuff. Still wish it had some more proof.

20171129_214153-1209x1612.jpg

I wish i could grab that bottle at this price ;-) Never tried it, but very curious about it. They are selling for €200 in Europe.

This has been opened close to 2 years. I seldom go to it, but it sure is hitting the spot tonight. 

4B049996-B527-4433-8D4A-59AE943CEBDA.jpeg

• I like it 1

Fighting a cold with a bad cough, first drink this week. Hoping some OF wheater Thursday will go well with cough drops and Delsym.

391d3b3def0cea756c7aadd92d8afc5e.jpg

Just cracked open a sample bottle of EWBIB given to me by a fellow SBer. Really nice (excellent bang for the buck). I see a bottle in my future.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Just cracked open a sample bottle of EWBIB given to me by a fellow SBer. Really nice (excellent bang for the buck). I see a bottle in my future.

I agree. One of the better BIB. HH6 is excellent too if you get to Kentucky. 

3 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

I agree. One of the better BIB. HH6 is excellent too if you get to Kentucky. 

I do get there from time to time. I always end up surprising myself with how many bottles I can successfully mule back in a checked bag. I brought a HH6 back for a fellow SBer a couple of months ago but haven't gotten one for myself. If I don't find unicorns, I normally pick up an Old Fitz BIB. I may grab a HH6 next time though.

Doing a SBS tonight with big brother and little brother. Jr. is one of my favorites but unlike my SBS last year with ER and ER17, the difference between GTS and Stagg Jr. is marked. Jr. is good but big brother is complex and has a much longer finish. Btw, Jr. is 130 pf and the GTS is 129.2 pf so this is a fair fight. I’m going to enjoy this bottle. 

D9D31ED4-ECEC-4913-B3F9-ED5EA327944A.jpeg

• I like it 3

Last night consisted of the 90 proof range.  Started out with OF Statesman and followed that with the always popular ECSmB (NAS).

On 11/29/2017 at 10:45 PM, Clueby said:

I really like this stuff. Still wish it had some more proof.

20171129_214153-1209x1612.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Great juice. I understand why people give Orphan Barrel a hard time, but honestly at $75-100 for a 20-year-old bourbon, I think Barterhouse is a bit of a steal. At a similar age and proof, EC18 edges it out in terms of delicacy/complexity, but it's also almost double the price (at least where I am). When my bottle of Barterhouse is done I'll definitely be grabbing another. 

1 hour ago, NYCBourbon said:

Couldn't agree more. Great juice. I understand why people give Orphan Barrel a hard time, but honestly at $75-100 for a 20-year-old bourbon, I think Barterhouse is a bit of a steal. At a similar age and proof, EC18 edges it out in terms of delicacy/complexity, but it's also almost double the price (at least where I am). When my bottle of Barterhouse is done I'll definitely be grabbing another. 

I think I have one more in the bunker.  I haven't seen it lately at retail.  Last place I saw it was $199.  NOPE.  Even the place I got the bottle in the picture from has raisesd all their prices on stuff lately.  I do have a bottle of EC18 I'm looking forward to opening.  

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

I think I have one more in the bunker.  I haven't seen it lately at retail.  Last place I saw it was $199.  NOPE.  Even the place I got the bottle in the picture from has raisesd all their prices on stuff lately.  I do have a bottle of EC18 I'm looking forward to opening.  

For whatever reason Barterhouse usually isn't too bad here. I've never seen it for more than $100 and usually around $85. If you ever find yourself in need of another PM me and I'm sure I could track down a cheap one to send you c+s.

• I like it 1

A little Hancock’s President’s Reserve while grilling tonight. Not terrible when it’s December and Chicago. 

KCSB Barrel 5182, a 12 year 6 month barrel pick from The Wine and Cheese Place. Surprisingly this isn't really all that great to me, compared to some other KCSB store picks I've had. Still good, but not amazing.

After having wine and a beer, finally switched to bourbon. 

Tasting fine tonight.

Slainte!

IMG_0304.thumb.JPG.a2cfc4d2d6ecd8b518eeb7e97eef1a3b.JPG

Edited by Government Beard
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.