What Beer Are You Drinking Fall/Winter 2017-'18

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guy I work with just opened, along with two other guys, a craft brewery.  Only been open for a couple of weeks.  Stopped by one night and had a flight of 3.  First was Decapitated Monkey, which I only ordered because of the name.  Think it was an IPA.  It was good.  The second was called Tun Tavern Hoppy Ale.  Liked this one better.  It had a citrus finish.  The third was called Hey Porter, which was of course a porter.  It had an unsweetened cocoa finish.  It was my favorite.

• I like it 1

I've really enjoyed the few Sixpoint brews I've had, so was excited to try this bourbon barrel aged brew from them. It's porter aged with cocoa husks and coffee. Not bad and a decent price.

8fa1e375ea9cfc248b53ca3a60ae90b8.jpg

• I like it 1

I stopped by Bell's on Friday.  They were celebrating their annual Eccentric Day.  The put out a killer taplist for this event every year and provide free food all day long.  But I took a pass because in order to get in, one must be dressed eccentrically.  I just didn't want to screw around with it.

I stopped by because they always release their annual Eccentric Ale each year on Eccentric Day.  Not too bad.  It weighed in at 13.7% and it had a bitterness that I did not take too.  I will let the other bottles rest in the cellar a few years to see if the bitterness fades off.

As a bonus, they had bottles of Whiskey Barrel Cherry Stout at their General Store.  These bottles will only be sold on site.  Not much barrel to this beer.  I enjoyed it more when I quit sippin' it like a barrel aged stout and started drinking it like a pale ale or kolsch.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Had a nitro draught of this Friday, tasty.

First time having it? I've never tried nitro. Must be something nice.

whenever I am on the fence about buying a stout I usually turn to this. 

First time having it? I've never tried nitro. Must be something nice.

whenever I am on the fence about buying a stout I usually turn to this. 

It's been a while. I almost always go for anything nitro when it's available at a bar.

42 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

It's been a while. I almost always go for anything nitro when it's available at a bar.

I'm kind of the opposite. I think it makes most beers taste flat.

Interesting I should clarify, usually only for stouts/porters. They generally don't have much foam anyway and I like creaminess it adds.

Southern Star Black Crack. Stout aged in bourbon barrels. Not bad, but hard not necessarily "crack".

7ac8dfa9f4e05e7ffc7f16b22e0ecd3c.jpg

• I like it 1

On December 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM, HoustonNit said:

On December 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Government Beard said:

Seems worth re-linking this great article Postal Grunt originally posted earlier this year: http://allaboutbeer.com/man-invented-nitro-guinness/. Nitrogen inhibits the expression of flavor and aroma (but I still like it)

Anyways, last night I drank a Padadox Skully #52, a "wild sour golden ale with nectarines and apricots aged in wine barrels". Nicely tart with some apricot flavor. Pretty decent but probably won't buy another bottle.

• I like it 1

Seems worth re-linking this great article Postal Grunt originally posted earlier this year: http://allaboutbeer.com/man-invented-nitro-guinness/. Nitrogen inhibits the expression of flavor and aroma (but I still like it)

Anyways, last night I drank a Padadox Skully #52, a "wild sour golden ale with nectarines and apricots aged in wine barrels". Nicely tart with some apricot flavor. Pretty decent but probably won't buy another bottle.

Wow a fascinating article. I'm not sure it inhibits flavor, certainly changes the texture.

Also the Padadox Skully sounds phenomenal. If there was beer I had to choose for my next pour this would be it.

On 12/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, Government Beard said:

IS EVERYONE OKAY?IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.03b99d4910a08ebce9708de4c4840e78.JPG

I picked up the barrel-aged version recently.  I'm looking forward to trying it but it may sit for a while as I have some other barrel aged stouts that I will probably drink first.

• I like it 1

I picked up the barrel-aged version recently.  I'm looking forward to trying it but it may sit for a while as I have some other barrel aged stouts that I will probably drink first.

Just got one as well didn't care for the price. I may open at Christmas or open hold for a year.

3f5e8ba5a24ebc6bcfbb238cc1d125f8.jpg
  • I like it 1

People make a deal about this in Houston. Good but nothing to get super excited about. Need west coast beer and Texas bourbon selection.

f393dd0017f70c41a017ff5ff8d84466.jpg

I picked up some more today...a 4 pack for $35...so I opened one up tonight. It's the first 2017 I've had. It's a sweet one. Think I still prefer KBS

I don't have a snifter.

20171212_192048-1209x1612.jpg

I picked up some more today...a 4 pack for $35...so I opened one up tonight. It's the first 2017 I've had. It's a sweet one. Think I still prefer KBS
I don't have a snifter.
20171212_192048-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.eb1da4c4d43eebe34dbb0688e31b1162.jpg

Better than my glassware at this point.

15 hours ago, meadeweber said:

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Just got one as well didn't care for the price. I may open at Christmas or open hold for a year.

3f5e8ba5a24ebc6bcfbb238cc1d125f8.jpg

Keep posted on when your crack these. North Coast is a good brewery and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Government Beard

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

People make a deal about this in Houston. Good but nothing to get super excited about. Need west coast beer and Texas bourbon selection.

f393dd0017f70c41a017ff5ff8d84466.jpg

We get by well enough here on the bourbon but yeah Texas is overall better. Thank god I get to travel a bit or I'd be limited to southern CA.

on the beer, yeah, we are spoiled here although distribution has picked up. When I was in Boston the groceries stores had a lot of California beer in them. San Diego and Portland have the best beer scenes overall in the US.

Ok beer, yeah west coast probably the best but east coast Dogfish from Delaware is great. The 120 is fantastic, the world wide stout might be the best barrel aged stout and I'm really liking this.

b03f6c4683b3d1e7f15874055125e9ef.jpg

Imperial Stout, Syrah grapes and oak barrel aging, really good.

• I like it 1

On 12/12/2017 at 6:33 AM, meadeweber said:

Keep me posted. Curious to hear your thoughts/notes.

new can from BNS. Only had this from a bottle. Really tasty. Definitely recommended.

IMG_0410.thumb.JPG.53b8d5aa5e54627d4b24b3f7acc449ee.JPG

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Ok beer, yeah west coast probably the best but east coast Dogfish from Delaware is great. The 120 is fantastic, the world wide stout might be the best barrel aged stout and I'm really liking this.

b03f6c4683b3d1e7f15874055125e9ef.jpg

Imperial Stout, Syrah grapes and oak barrel aging, really good.

Love the glassware sir ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.