What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hmmm . . .  Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins supporters rooting for the Pats but no New York Giants fans?  Figures - now I don't have to listen to all the Tom Coughlin fans anymore!  And so much for "America's Team".  Did they even make the playoffs this year, let alone win a playoff game?    :lol:

18-1*

Had a tasting the other night at a pal's place.  The main takeaway = there's a big difference between good bourbon & bad bourbon.  My favorite was the 4R OESK, worst tasting was the JR Ewing.  Nothing like using a bucket of KFC to cleanse the palate.

IMG_3903.JPG

• I like it 7

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

FB_IMG_1516665704162.jpg

Add a spot of Red in Buford GA for this transplanted New Englander, GO PATS!!!

On topic - 4R smb.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Had a tasting the other night at a pal's place.  The main takeaway = there's a big difference between good bourbon & bad bourbon.  My favorite was the 4R OESK, worst tasting was the JR Ewing.  Nothing like using a bucket of KFC to cleanse the palate.

IMG_3903.JPG

I've never had jr Ewing but I wouldn't call any of the rest of that bad bourbon

4 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

I've never had jr Ewing but I wouldn't call any of the rest of that bad bourbon

I think he was just calling the JR Ewing bad.  If he's calling all the others bad . . . it's time for an intervention.

I'm a long suffering Redskins fanand just can't pull for either team but do indeed hope it's an entertaining game and comes down to the final few minutes.  

Side by side of Batch 12 and B517 (should’ve waited to do it blind, but the future Misses is gone and work was a bear today). I must say, these are incredibly similar (I suppose they should be since they’re based on the same formula).  I can’t pick a favorite, but I can say I’m glad I have both. 

2EA7C5D4-527C-4103-8F45-CB6620A724DB.jpeg

• I like it 2

IMO a big difference.  I like the regular single barrel, but the PS OBSV's I've had have been substantially better.
You're probably right.. I might just buy some for research purposes lol

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

IMG_3903.thumb.JPG.35a6f4123cd1469b5aedab3a806d968c.JPG
This is my type of tasting. You've got some good choices there. Which were your worse ones?

The KFC is a great choice!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Side by side of Batch 12 and B517 (should’ve waited to do it blind, but the future Misses is gone and work was a bear today). I must say, these are incredibly similar (I suppose they should be since they’re based on the same formula).  I can’t pick a favorite, but I can say I’m glad I have both. 

One of my favorites. Do you feel like you could pick them out in a blind tasting? Do you notice the 6% difference in ABV? I've got a bottle of Batch #10 and some B517, I may have to do this SBS myself.

41 minutes ago, Fishin49er said:

One of my favorites. Do you feel like you could pick them out in a blind tasting? Do you notice the 6% difference in ABV? I've got a bottle of Batch #10 and some B517, I may have to do this SBS myself.

I’m not sure that I could tell a difference based on proof. I’ll do a sbs next week to see. 

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hmmm . . .  Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins supporters rooting for the Pats but no New York Giants fans?  Figures - now I don't have to listen to all the Tom Coughlin fans anymore!  And so much for "America's Team".  Did they even make the playoffs this year, let alone win a playoff game?    :lol:

As a Giants fan I'm just going to not watch the Superbowl, maybe it will be canceled.... 

• I like it 1

EC18 (barrel 4192) distilled 11/18/1997. As expected, it's an oak bomb....even oakier than the last EC18 I had. Still good, but not amazing, and I like oak bombs.

I've been on a back to bonds thing.  Over the past week or so, have had: JB BIB, VOB BIB, and tonight JTS Brown.  

13 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I've been on a back to bonds thing.  Over the past week or so, have had: JB BIB, VOB BIB, and tonight JTS Brown.  

Been doing the same thing for the past week... HMcK BiB, HH 6y BiB, EW BiB, and OFitz BiB... Hmmmmm, something about those Heaven Hill bottled in bond offerings that seem to hit the right notes for me.

20 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I'd love to get my hands on an older ECBP bottle like this one for comparison!

Cheers!

Enjoying a nice pour of some GBS EC SB.  While not to be confused with the inaugural GBS EC picks, this is a damn nice bourbon.  And while it needs no water - a few drops really brings some lovely salted caramel with toffee notes.  

• I like it 1

14 hours later I finally got home from work.

Woodford Reserve Double oak is tasting spectacular tonight as I wind it down.

Too tired for pics.

Got to try a few intetesting things yesterday in Brent Elliots lab - a 23 yr OBSV, a '97 OBSV, the 2009 Mirage, & the 40th Anniversary.

20180123_151454.jpg

20180123_154824.jpg

20180123_155812.jpg

20180123_151820.jpg

Edited by Whiskeythink.com
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Got to try a few intetesting things yesterday in Brent Elliots lab - a 23 yr OBSV, a '97 OBSV, the 2009 Mirage, & the 40th Anniversary.

20180123_151454.jpg

20180123_154824.jpg

20180123_155812.jpg

20180123_151820.jpg

Did you try any of the OESE?

On 1/23/2018 at 8:34 AM, Charlutz said:

18-1*

Huh?   :huh:

On 1/23/2018 at 9:26 PM, kevinbrink said:

As a Giants fan I'm just going to not watch the Superbowl, maybe it will be canceled.... 

If they cancel it, do we win by default as the reigning Champions???   :P

Back on topic - had some HHBiB6 followed by a ECBP #11 (139.4pf) last night at Pappy's Whiskey Den.  Both hit different, but right, spots last night.  Taking a bottle of ECBP B517 down to Brooklyn tomorrow to help celebrate granddaughter #1's 6th birthday party.  Good golly, life is good!   :D

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Did you try any of the OESE?

No, didnt get to try that. 

Heres a couple pix of Brent. It was kinda nice to be in his lab & have him say "So, what do you guys wanna try?"

20180123_145645.jpg

20180123_150640.jpg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.