What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

606561C7-2AFD-4E7E-B727-0312FEEE85A1.thumb.jpeg.6176cb3d3e54cf776825a0b22e213ec3.jpeg

Cheers! 

Will. 

I just bought one of those on secondary (I'll admit it), looking forward to trying that next weekend.  As I understand it, there were a lot more of these this year than in recent history so maybe that's why the prices are depressed (relatively speaking of course), but everyone seems to be giving it the same great reviews as always.

It’s a special day, despite that we’re looking at 6 more weeks of Winter.  So, popped and sipping on a 10 yr Old Fitzgerald 1849.  Distilled ~1961.  Why does old Stitzel-Weller whiskey have such adoration from us, and hype from everyone else?  This.  Thick and heavy like syrup.  Butterscotch and deep soaked in brown sugar wood notes.  Happy Groundhogs day.  

43549702-7801-46F1-B43B-29550719A8F6.jpeg

• I like it 10

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s a special day, despite that we’re looking at 6 more weeks of Winter.  So, popped and sipping on a 10 yr Old Fitzgerald 1849.  Distilled ~1961.  Why does old Stitzel-Weller whiskey have such adoration from us, and hype from everyone else?  This.  Thick and heavy like syrup.  Butterscotch and deep soaked in brown sugar wood notes.  Happy Groundhogs day.  

Sounds fantastic! Enjoy

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

Thought the price was a little high but it’s a nice pour...

9E1E6498-0E13-43CF-972A-559188C7D89A.jpeg

Agree on both counts.    Very nice pour; but easily the most expensive BIB I've ever bought.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

If Groundhog Day is to be anything like the movie of that name, you're obviously in for a wonderful ride my friend.     ENJOY!    I'm sure you have/will.  :P

42 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Agree on both counts.    Very nice pour; but easily the most expensive BIB I've ever bought.

Pretty much the same as CEHTSmB. Maybe a few $ cheaper.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Something besides Groundhog Day make it special? Does anything in todays production come anywhere close in similarity to this pour?

54 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Just cracked ECBP C917 - excellent stuff neat

I picked one up this week, need to crack it open sometime this weekend...

It's been a while, but tonight I'm enjoying a new bottle of Larceny.  It seems much better than I remember.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:34 PM, JCwhammie said:

I decided to do a SBSBS with two previously unopened bottles. The 2 store picks are easily better than the standard single.  The 4th floor of G is really good as well, but I slightly prefer the H. 

D041A1AE-C92C-4460-95A1-C84E26E78677.jpeg

Yeah, that TWCP #2 is a good pick indeed.  I have one quietly waiting for a future opening on the shelf. :)

Switching gears a bit.

SAOS SiB 11yr.  An interesting pour.  Barrel proof, but lower in proof, weighs in under 105 proof.  Even though is 11 yrs, I don't pick up any oak/wood, leather, etc notes at all.  Although, not necessarily in flavor, but it reminds me a little of WT Master's Keep 17, because it is a low ABV for a barrel proof and doesnt have the aged characteristics.

Anyway, I like it.  Until Next time, Same Bat Channel.....

Cheers

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, dcbt said:

I just bought one of those on secondary (I'll admit it), looking forward to trying that next weekend.  As I understand it, there were a lot more of these this year than in recent history so maybe that's why the prices are depressed (relatively speaking of course), but everyone seems to be giving it the same great reviews as always.

Not judging, I traded for it (i'll admit it too) ;-) This is a great Stagg's year for sure, less ethanol, full flavors, it's phenomenal! Enjoy! 

Cheers!

Will.

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

WOW, the color of that stuff, must be something to have the chance to try this, enjoy! 

Will.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Pretty much the same as CEHTSmB. Maybe a few $ cheaper.

Ahhh, yes.     You're right, Clueby.    I'd forgotten about my one bottle of CEHT BIB.

It was OK; but, not worth the cheddar, so I never grabbed a replacement.    That was so long ago (with my mushy old brain) that it slipped my mind.

If I had any left, I'd do a SBS with these two.    I'd bet (from mushy memory) on the 1792 BIB.

15 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

Thought the price was a little high but it’s a nice pour...

9E1E6498-0E13-43CF-972A-559188C7D89A.jpeg

Been awhile since I've had some 1792.

• I like it 1

That is a fabulous pour. 

18 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Been awhile since I've had some 1792.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhh, yes.     You're right, Clueby.    I'd forgotten about my one bottle of CEHT BIB.

It was OK; but, not worth the cheddar, so I never grabbed a replacement.    That was so long ago (with my mushy old brain) that it slipped my mind.

If I had any left, I'd do a SBS with these two.    I'd bet (from mushy memory) on the 1792 BIB.

I think the last CEHT I got was $38.99 and the 1792 was $37.99. The 1792 is pretty close to the $16 VOB.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I think the last CEHT I got was $38.99 and the 1792 was $37.99. The 1792 is pretty close to the $16 VOB.

Hmmm, I can easily do  SBS of those two.     Maybe I'll do that tomorrow... 

My recollection of the VOB is that once it lost the 6-year age statement is slowly dropped in quality (a fair amount over the last couple years or so).  

I have both an 'old' (5-yrs.?), 6-yr. VOB as well as a non age stated one from this past September.     I'll compare all 3 tomorrow, if my resolve holds.   I have no CEHT BIB, so only the 3-way of Barton products.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.