What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a hankerin’ for some dusty Turkey.  Late 70’s 86.8 proof delivering the goods.  Drinking much bigger than its proof, and full of leather, cinnamon on the late palate, and rickhouse wood.  

98E37B78-08AD-4095-A85C-A57B8BD5F382.jpeg

• I like it 7

some WT101 tonight from a bottle i picked up and opened last night. code says it's from 2016 according to Rarebird101. cant remember the last time i had WT so tried it neat and with a rock last night. was a little harsh neat but i really dug the flavors, it completely muted and wrapped up with the ice so revisiting tonight. really digging it on night 2. really digging the smokey notes and weight/mouthfeel on this. finish gives you a little bite on the end but i'm digging it. can see why folks like this as a go to for value and QPR.

• I like it 2

Some comments from yesterday had me reaching for this tonight. I have another 1.75 bunkered and passed on a 1.75 of it last week. I like it but not sure i need 5 liters of the stuff.

20180131_214601-1209x1612.jpg

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm having a couple of pours of the upcoming BOTM. Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

Is this a first? Announcing the BOTM in the previous month?

I went back to a store select of Buffalo Trace last night. I sipped it about a month ago and meh.

Sipped it last night neat from a glencairn. It was much more enjoyable with a lot more complexity going on.

Ray

Apparently I bought enough from a local wine shop to get invited to their PVW/BTAC tasting this year.

Last night I got to try all these.

The 2017 saz 18 is definitely better than last years, but it's no match for the old tanked stuff.

This store "claims" to have this tasting party with their meager allocation each year instead of selling bottles, but I'm almost positive that some bottles get sold to some high dollar customers.

It doesn't really matter.

I was glad for the invite and opportunity.

They have good store picks occasionally, so I'll continue to support them.

IMAG3002.jpg

• I like it 8

Decided to move up the shelves to kick off the evening so it's a WHH BIB that I believe is the 3rd release of the WHH bottled at 11 yrs.  from a small batch of less than 12 barrels.  With the copper "Bottled in Bond" neck tag it reminds me a lot of some HMK10BIB earlier bottles that had the same tag.  In fact I'm going to open a bottle of HMK10BIB next just to compare the two

I’m feeling old whiskey this week, so pulled out an ‘82 Yellowstone MellowMash.  Sweet tobacco and potpourri on the nose, then a coke syrup sweetness across the palate, with a background of shop class wood notes.  The wood holds steady on the end, and lingers well into the finish, allowing for a great chewiness.  Age stated 7 yrs, but this seems at least a few years older.  I’m guessing 10+ with this glut whiskey.  Nicely proofed at 91.  

9A67D72A-78D2-4377-97C7-1FA8D5780A7B.jpeg

• I like it 6

40 minutes ago, Hop said:

Decided to move up the shelves to kick off the evening so it's a WHH BIB that I believe is the 3rd release of the WHH bottled at 11 yrs.  from a small batch of less than 12 barrels.  With the copper "Bottled in Bond" neck tag it reminds me a lot of some HMK10BIB earlier bottles that had the same tag.  In fact I'm going to open a bottle of HMK10BIB next just to compare the two

Yes,  I just quoted my own post...

Came back a little to late to just edit it - opened up a HMK10BIB and while there's a similarity definitely not the same.  Of course this is a single barrel and the WHH is a small batch but I can taste the difference in the age of the two - surprising since it's only a year more but the mid-back palate oak bitterness was more prevalent on the WHH.  Comparing price/value I'd have to go with the HMK10BIB over the WHH in this case.  Wonder how it would compare if I combined 12 of the single barrels (from different barrels of course) to make my own small batch version?  

Anyone have a line on a vat to hold around 336 ounces that I could still pour an ounce or three at a time from? :) 

Nothing tonight . . . so far.  Last night was some regular ole BT followed by some ETL.

4th floor of rickhouse H in prep of the bourbonpursuit live community round table. I’m a little sad that I only have 1-2 pours left of this stuff.

1EE1E4D5-86FE-46AC-88CF-8CEDFFABA995.jpeg

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

4th floor of rickhouse H in prep of the bourbonpursuit live community round table. I’m a little sad that I only have 1-2 pours left of this stuff.

1EE1E4D5-86FE-46AC-88CF-8CEDFFABA995.jpeg

I’ll have to catch the BCR on itunes. Have a couple from H/4 right now. Sweet spot for sure. 

9 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I’ll have to catch the BCR on itunes. Have a couple from H/4 right now. Sweet spot for sure. 

I decided to do a SBSBS with two previously unopened bottles. The 2 store picks are easily better than the standard single.  The 4th floor of G is really good as well, but I slightly prefer the H. 

D041A1AE-C92C-4460-95A1-C84E26E78677.jpeg

• I like it 2

Enjoying the last of a Buffalo Trace 9 year store pick. Wish I had grabbed a few more. 

2EA5948E-76E0-4FC0-945A-44A443A5620A.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

Apparently I bought enough from a local wine shop to get invited to their PVW/BTAC tasting this year.

The 2017 saz 18 is definitely better than last years, but it's no match for the old tanked stuff.

This store "claims" to have this tasting party with their meager allocation each year instead of selling bottles, but I'm almost positive that some bottles get sold to some high dollar customers.

IMAG3002.jpg

Awesome line-up.

21 hours ago, 0895 said:

IMAG3002.jpg

^^^ This is awesome!    A great idea, and a good way to reward 'regulars' with a chance to experience some hard-to-source stuff.

Too bad no Pappy 15 (which is the best of the bunch to my taste buddies), and no Pappy 23; but still a very nice flight of BT brand 'unicorns'.

2 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

606561C7-2AFD-4E7E-B727-0312FEEE85A1.thumb.jpeg.6176cb3d3e54cf776825a0b22e213ec3.jpeg

Cheers! 

Will. 

Ooooh! How do you like it? I absolutely love mine

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Ooooh! How do you like it? I absolutely love mine

Cheers!

It’s the first glass of the bottle and I’m already loving it. God, that’s tasty, low proof staggs are quite nice too. Cheers!

Will. 

Edited by Masset1982
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.