What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Winter 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Decided to pour couple oz of old Fitz bib from old 60s era decanter. Pretty good. Nutmeg and floral with underripe stone fruit and some soapiness. I’d have been better off with 1oz as the soap flavors are a little overwhelming getting through second half of the pour. Crazy complexity and perhaps just didn’t want to have to contemplate what I was drinking tonight. To bring my palate back poured an oz of WT101 rye. 

Larceny in the glass while I’m watching...uh...well...it’s...er...OK!!!!, I admit it!!! 

Batchelor...:D

56 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Larceny in the glass while I’m watching...uh...well...it’s...er...OK!!!!, I admit it!!! 

Batchelor...:D

I'd think a show like that would require stronger stuff!

• I like it 1

Started off the night with some RHF but have since switched to SB HHSS #2 (in an SB Glencairn, of course!). 

• I like it 1

Rare Breed 112.8 tonight, not hitting like it usually does for me.  Seems a little brash and astringent tonight.  I've read good things about the 116.8 batch, so I will be on the lookout.

• I like it 1

Writer's Tears Copper Pot - an Irish blend of 60% pot stilled barley and 40 % single malt.  Walsh Distillery won't be selling their own make until 2023, but this blend is outstanding even @ 80 proof.  Don't remember which of you recommended it, but it is/was super.  But then - no surprise as it is aged in old bourbon barrels.

Wild Turkey 101 with tamarind simple syrup and some orange bitters. It’s sort of a Mexican old-fashioned.

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Bobje said:

Wild Turkey 101 with tamarind simple syrup and some orange bitters. It’s sort of a Mexican old-fashioned.

That sounds awesome!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

IMG_20180130_211521540.jpg

Had a pour of their OESK tonight. 

Finishing up with a 100.35 barrel proof MGP from Belle Meade. 

• I like it 1

Not quite “dusty” but I both found and am enjoying this 86 proof OGD tonight from 2003 I believe. I found 2 bottles at $11 each so I adopted them both.

image.jpg

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Writer's Tears Copper Pot - an Irish blend of 60% pot stilled barley and 40 % single malt.  Walsh Distillery won't be selling their own make until 2023, but this blend is outstanding even @ 80 proof.  Don't remember which of you recommended it, but it is/was super.  But then - no surprise as it is aged in old bourbon barrels.

It was probably @smokinjoe

I've seen him talk about it a couple times now.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I have, and it is very nice.  But, the Writer’s Tears “Redhead” is even better.  Luscious and thick for an Irish.  Right there with Red Breast Cask, and Power’s John Lane as my favorite Irish Whiskey.  Can’t get in US, but can he ordered and mailed from Euro.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure it was him back when McGuffin was posting on an Irish whiskey thread I think he (McG) started.  BUT, my internet connection crumped, and I had spent two days switching providers, getting new equipment (switched from DSL to cable finally), etc., and was too lazy to do my own research, knowing one of you all would help me out.;)  So, THANKS.

Tonight, I'll be back to bourbon - a local store pick of 9+ YO 4R OBSO picked by a picker who likes what I like.

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I have, and it is very nice.  But, the Writer’s Tears “Redhead” is even better.  Luscious and thick for an Irish.  Right there with Red Breast Cask, and Power’s John Lane as my favorite Irish Whiskey.  Can’t get in US, but can he ordered and mailed from Euro.

Thanks for this.  The Writers Tears Copper Pot was creamy and cool - perfect for sipping while watching Hallmark Channel mysteries.  I may treat myself to the Redhead.  I have been surprised at how much I've liked a whole range of Irish once I got past Bushmills.  For some reason, I just never developed a taste for it.

Enjoying a pour of this right now. It's very interesting - this is the first time I've actually gotten a mint note.

IMG_1652.thumb.JPG.c223d2ce2529c6a95e734737191e0143.JPG

Loving these four roses!

Cheers!

I'm having a couple of pours of the upcoming BOTM. Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm having a couple of pours of the upcoming BOTM. Jim Beam Distiller's Cut.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

One more pour sounds about right I think I'll join you :D

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.