What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Bourbon....Neat! said:

The Costco by me made a mistake and prices RR10 at $19.99.  I bought a few but when I went back a day later they had caught their mistake and changed the price to $27.99.  Still a great deal though!

Both excellent prices. Too good to pass up for sure!

What are your thoughts on it after tasting it?

Cheers!
Very pleasantly surprised. The only other HH bourbon I've had was the EC12 from right before they dropped the age statement, and I didn't really like it. It had a bitterness in the finish I didn't like.

However the ECBP has allot less bitter in the finish, and the bitterness that is there is somehow not unpleasant. The nose is tons of caramel and grilled corn on the cob, with a bit of sawdust maybe? I couldn't really place it, but it reminded me of my grandfather's workshop thirty years ago when he was still healthy and used it often (he turns 89 this month and his health is failing now). There was also some brighter (?) sweet smells, cola or cherries maybe. I don't generally dissect my bourbon or keep notes so my description doesn't do it justice, but the nose is absolutely fantastic. One of if not the best I've had. The finish was long and less sweet than I am used to, but very good none the less. I'm rarely able to identify any flavors on the palate, and this was no exception.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, emr454 said:

Heckuva good price! Lowest by me is $52+tax 

I was going to say, the best I can do is $49.99 out the door. Would love to know where you can find it for another $15 off! Especially since I live in the area now.

Edited by elmossle

On 12/31/2017 at 1:44 AM, lcpfratn said:

I think they messed up on the label on that Four Roses OBSF. The "B" recipe is a 35% rye mashbill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And unsurprisingly they have responded already:

4R.png

• I like it 2

4R.thumb.png.e4f44c4f2f917b5ad8865549ae37d1c1.png

Now that is customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 2

On our way back from the Taxslayer Bowl we stopped in Savannah GA for dinner.  While there we felt that we would be doing the state of Georgia a great disservice if we did not visit at least one of their liquor stores.  I ended up with a MM Cask Strength and a CEHT SmB both at $39.99.  My son picked up a bottle of Kentucky Owl Rye, a CEHT Straight Rye and a Little Book.  The other buddy grabbed the same as me but added two bottles of Kentucky Owl Rye.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

4R.png

6 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Now that is customer service!

Mandy is really great. A number of years ago, p_elliott and I went to Cox's Creek for a tour. There was supposed to be five other people, but they didn't show up. It was just me and Paul, and Mandy was our tour guide. The tour was great, and so was she. The very next year. I was part of a barrel pick at Cox's Creek. Jim Rutledge was there for the pick, but imagine my surprise when Mandy was there too. She was helping. (She actually remembered me!) Jim took us out to lunch afterwards. I asked him about Mandy. Jim said he needed someone to help him with the private barrel selections. He said that she had an uncanny knack for tasting. Hence the promotion. FWIW, I think Jim done real good. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

On our way back from the Taxslayer Bowl we stopped in Savannah GA for dinner.  While there we felt that we would be doing the state of Georgia a great disservice if we did not visit at least one of their liquor stores.  I ended up with a MM Cask Strength and a CEHT SmB both at $39.99.  My son picked up a bottle of Kentucky Owl Rye, a CEHT Straight Rye and a Little Book.  The other buddy grabbed the same as me but added two bottles of Kentucky Owl Rye.

In Savannah?? I'm from there, travel back every month or so and have never seen KO... guess I'll be on the hunt next week when I go back. Was the price decent? I know I'm "new" here but can you PM me where you got it? Thanks and travel safe - 4" of snow here in Charleston and talking to friends in Savannah, it's about the same there.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Mandy is really great. A number of years ago, p_elliott and I went to Cox's Creek for a tour. There was supposed to be five other people, but they didn't show up. It was just me and Paul, and Mandy was our tour guide. The tour was great, and so was she. The very next year. I was part of a barrel pick at Cox's Creek. Jim Rutledge was there for the pick, but imagine my surprise when Mandy was there too. She was helping. (She actually remembered me!) Jim took us out to lunch afterwards. I asked him about Mandy. Jim said he needed someone to help him with the private barrel selections. He said that she had an uncanny knack for tasting. Hence the promotion. FWIW, I think Jim done real good. ;)

Biba! Joe

Two years ago I hadn't tried a FRSiB PS. I hadn't established my local network of board members so I emailed FR through their website. When I saw your post, I check my email and sure enough, it was Mandy (Asst Mgr back then, glad to see she's working her way up the ladder) who responded very quickly and gave me the names of about 7 MD stores that had done store picks from FR. Within a day I had my first OESV and my journey into the cult began. I shot an email back to Mandy thanking her, and she continued the conversation. It's certainly true that the distillers can treat their customers very well.

Picked up this pair the other day. Figured that 5-6 year old, 100 proof, NCF Beam, under $30, likely wouldn’t be a bad thing. Plan on giving it a go on this snowy day here in NJ.

bfe56aec2410be37713501b31a8b14ee.jpg

• I like it 3

On 12/30/2017 at 1:23 PM, Stump1998 said:

Couple new pick-ups for the long weekend...

IMG_5461.JPG

How is the Blade & Bow?

I made a quick trip down to Ky last week and while I didn't come back with a whole lot, I was pretty happy with what I did get.

WeekendPickups.jpg

• I like it 2

On 12/21/2017 at 9:17 PM, HoustonNit said:

I now refer to this as the flathute blend. It's two parts Stagg Jr to one part OC8yr. I've been eyeballing lately though.

Is that a 1.75 with an actual handle? I've had 1.75 with no handles with the newer label and older clock dial white labels with a handle. Never seen newer label with a handle. Must be in between age of the two guessing late 2000s.

This one has the handle. 1.75 for $30 and was literally dusty. Does the handle signify a time with better juice or just some details you happened to notice?

20180104_163325.jpg

5 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I made a quick trip down to Ky last week and while I didn't come back with a whole lot, I was pretty happy with what I did get.

WeekendPickups.jpg

That willett looks like wine... Did you get this at the gift shop? I bet that is one interesting tasting dram

40 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

That willett looks like wine... Did you get this at the gift shop? I bet that is one interesting tasting dram

Does that bottle say aged for 27 years?!?

This one has the handle. 1.75 for $30 and was literally dusty. Does the handle signify a time with better juice or just some details you happened to notice?

20180104_163325.thumb.jpg.768908308c8026a09d3eedd1d91ce65e.jpg

I don’t know better juice but probably a few years older than the 1.75s without handle. If you see some with the older label that has a clock there’s a good chance it’s from barrels from before BT started distilling it and was made by UD.

• I like it 1

WeekendPickups.thumb.jpg.b23bf2ecf2c293e96425366a90786dbf.jpg

Good score!

6 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

WeekendPickups.jpg

What did the 27 year run you??

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Does that bottle say aged for 27 years?!?

Was literally about to post the exact same question with the same punctuation :) I never knew they could get that old.

d444005cbfb06a4747b1c4fc3fa2b281.jpg
Stumbled into these yesterday. Cheating on Sarah, but it’s been too long since I have seen these on the shelf so I had no choice but to go with James. First ones I’ve had under 100 proof, but have heard they are good. Will try and crack one tomorrow and if they pass the taste test maybe get a couple more.

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

WeekendPickups.jpg

Wow...27 years. That would be an interesting pour. Hopefully it was stored on the the first level.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.