What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2017

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Figured I'd make the 5 hour round trip to Lincoln Road Package Store worthwhile and went deep on the store picks, including a cool HWRR finished in of all things, a Rye barrel and a Clément 4 Year Agricole. The George Dickel is labeled as 9YO, but is actually 11YO-- as labeling outside of the 9 and 14YO expressions does not exist. His wealth of Four Roses recipes is disappearing quickly.

That was quite the haul.

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

It wasn't on the "allocated shelf". I was looking on the regular shelves and guy asked if I needed help. Told him what I was looking for and he turned around to a single case of 6 on the floor. Said he found it in the stock above the shelves this morning and wasn't sure what to do with it.  I got one for another sb'r and one for me. $36 including tax.

That looks pretty great.  I hope that this is actually available in VA, but I think odds are it will be another lottery release (which seems pretty silly for a mid shelf BIB).

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Been meaning to get this and buying it put me over to Grand Reserve at TW.

I had high hopes, I like the nose on BF products but they always taste young or watered down. JD SiB BP should be a great one. Great nose of BF, high proof and considering how many barrels they have they must have plenty of aged nice barrels to pick from for one of there high end products. I’ll need to give this another go but it had the great nose but tasted young and hot. BF WTF?

64eb32a9c484cc52b7b0df156623ddcc.jpg

That stuff suffers from new bottle syndrome.  Let it sit in your glass for about an hour.  And once that bottle gets some air in it, you're in for a treat.  :)

• I like it 1

That stuff suffers from new bottle syndrome.  Let it sit in your glass for about an hour.  And once that bottle gets some air in it, you're in for a treat.  [emoji4]

I'll agree here. Mine first glass was hot, but after it had been open a bit I went back and it was very good. I ended up accidentally getting tipsier than I have been in quite some time. It surprised me so much I went back for perhaps a pour or two more than I should have. 

As for what I purchased today, I bought a store selection of Four Roses OESQ. Man was it HOT out of bottle. The alcohol was overpowering. After resting for about a half hour it started to opened up, but I added some (tap) water. Unfortunately the tap did it no favors even though our tap is well water. The mineral content came out a bit in the nose and finish. It still had some real nice flavors and smells despite, so I'm hoping some air (and distilled water) tomorrow will help it shine.

Unfortunately that has left me with 2 barrel proof bottles and no "standard proof" bottle. So I'll probably pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace at the class six after work Tuesday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Just got these today!

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.9c3273c43109d2b551b9f784f8db6fcc.JPG

And yes, it was bottled by Sarah B)

Cheers!

Great score

• I like it 2

On 12/28/2017 at 5:42 PM, Hop said:

Picked up a couple bottles of JJ Bowman. It’s been getting a bit more scarce around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same yesterday.  The fam plowed through a bottle of it on Christmas so needed a replacement.  Or two.

13 hours ago, Government Beard said:

Lots of spice?

I tried it again this morning on a fresh palate in a SBSBS with a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye and HWMND-- it is very much a wild spice animal vs. a domesticated pet affair. I'm going back for another bottle.

That stuff suffers from new bottle syndrome.  Let it sit in your glass for about an hour.  And once that bottle gets some air in it, you're in for a treat.  [emoji4]

Thanks I hope you and Morte are right. I’ll revisit tonight and let it get some airtime as suggested.
  • I like it 1

Got a call yesterday that the 1792 BiB I'd inquired about a month back showed up at the LS.  They hadn't heard of it when I originally asked, and the distributor said the same.  I even got the call last week saying it wouldn't be available.  Glad they know me well enough to remember me!

Nothing fancy, but I got 2 tasty bottles to enjoy this weekend while sitting by the fire. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed finding new (to me) $15-$25 bottles that are really good and i don’t feel the need to ration. The future Misses and I are making homemade chicken noodle soup. I’m excited to settle in and enjoy winding down ‘17. 

E181E9DF-8CCC-42B2-B9D8-BBAF8648F607.jpeg

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Scored a 1792 BIB.     .....The same stuff we tried at the Gazebo, courtesy of a lad that worked on the Barton bottling line, late one night in September.    Then we were screwed out of it by the gift shop who apparently had ONE CASE to sell the following morning after the lad told us his understanding was that as many as 1,000 cases were to be made available to the gift shop the next day (or maybe it was 1,000 bottles?).     Anyway, I'd given up seeing any a couple months ago.

I'll open it and taste it in a day or two.

I'll post my impressions here after I try it.    (At the Gazebo, everybody that tried it thought it was quite good.)

OK.    I did a SBSBS using all three of the 'recent' 100-proofers: Early Times BIB, Jim Beam Distiller's Cut, and 1792 BIB.     Following are my thoughts (abbreviated) on this match-up.....

JB DC was pretty typically Beam; but being NCF and a blend of 5/6 year juice gave it a leg up (for me); yet it finished in third place because of the relatively short finish and the "Beam Funk" (I hate that phrase; but using it is quicker than the explanation).    Second place (in a surprise to me) was ETBIB, which I have previously stated is the best new release (to my taste buddies) in 2017.     I now have to revise that statement.     THE BEST newly released Bourbon in '17 is 1792 BIB.    I rated it slightly ahead of the ET BIB because of a better balance of all aspects.   

This is, of course extremely subjective (as I was the only taster).    And, I will go on to say that all 3 are very good Bourbons and worthy of examination by any Bourbon enthusiast reading this post.

If one likes the 'shellac' note I find in BF offerings (some call it acetone), ET BIB may well  win your SBSBS.     If one likes the sweet/peanutiness of Beam offerings, JBDC would win.    If however, a balanced and well presented Bourbon is your forte, then the 1792 might find your favor (though it is typically cereal-forward, as is all the Barton stuff for me).

The one and only drawback for the 1792 offering is the price: $45, locally!    Not quite double.     Taking this into account anyone with an eye on value may well put it in third place.     They were all very good (and pretty close in appreciation for me, though rather different) and very satisfying 100-proofers.    Winners all, and so are we; as we get to enjoy these new offerings as long as they are available.

• I like it 2

34 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

13 yr old store pick. Happy birthday Tom whoever you are. :)

IMG_4552.JPG

I'm right here. And thanks for the birhtday wishes but it was a couple of months ago. Now can I have my bottle back please? :D

• I like it 1

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2017.  Truly a unicorn in Kentucky.  Thanks, Eric, and Packages and More.

Almost home from Steamboat Springs CO, where I got 2 WSR at 17.99, & a EHT BP at a somewhat over-priced 79.99. There was a whole case of EHT BP on the shelf - something I have never seen. They also had a ECBP C917, but the $90 price was way too much.

Thanks I hope you and Morte are right. I’ll revisit tonight and let it get some airtime as suggested.

Per your guys recommendations let it sit for an hour. A lot less heat but really don’t care for the finish. I’ll revisit soon. Oddly enough still think I like it more than Stagg Jr. Might give it try in the flathute OC8yr blend instead of Stagg Jr.

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Almost home from Steamboat Springs CO, where I got 2 WSR at 17.99, & a EHT BP at a somewhat over-priced 79.99. 

You think the CEHT BP was over priced at 79.99?  If I could only find it at that price...

• I like it 2

Great post everyone.  I hope you all had a great Christmas and a safe New Year. 

I was able to acquire a couple bottles today for a whooping 240$ though but I'm not disappointed.  I've been looking for AE Cask for awhile now, al be it not too hard however.  Had a buddy order the AE off the Big Red app and he had at his store a bottle of the ECBP.  

y8LwZX1.jpg

As a gift for Christmas from Santa's Bourbon Division or the SBD I call them, I received.  jVgoIRS.jpg

I haven't cracked any of them open yet because I was working on a bottle of Rural Inn FRSB that was superb.  If anyone is ever in Indiana swing by the Rural Inn to see if they may have some of Ray's hand selected bottles of FR.  It was absolutely some of the best FR I've had.  Hand selected by Ray Oesk 10 yrs, 4 mos, Nose: Honey, honey suckle, hint of caramel and maraschino cherries.  Mouth: Creamy cherry, light toasted orange.  Finish: Garden mint, cinnamon, and light oak.  

Again, stay safe and you all have a great one!

57 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

You think the CEHT BP was over priced at 79.99?  If I could only find it at that price...

Maybe your right. I was thinking I paid $70 last time, but I may be confusing it with EHT SgB.

I had a better day today than my wallet, when I went to buy the Stagg, the guy behind the counter pulled the Four Roses OBSF out and said it was his last bottle, it's been a while since I saw a bottle this old and a pick from Jim Rutledge to boot. Whiskey shopping is over for a good while now.

IMG_20171230_212354151.jpg

IMG_20171230_212402401.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I had a better day today than my wallet, when I went to buy the Stagg, the guy behind the counter pulled the Four Roses OBSF out and said it was his last bottle, it's been a while since I saw a bottle this old and a pick from Jim Rutledge to boot. Whiskey shopping is over for a good while now.

I bet that FR OBSF will be absolutely delicious!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Wow excellent haul. I think I am most interested in that 4R bottle.

whenever you crack that bad boy post some notes. 

Huzzah!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Government Beard said:

Wow excellent haul. I think I am most interested in that 4R bottle.

whenever you crack that bad boy post some notes. 

Huzzah!

Same here, I have an open OBSF at the moment but I think that curiosity will get the better of me and this sucker will probably be open in short order. If it comes close to the Rutledge gift shop picks I have had it will certainly have a shot at being one of the best in my humble abode. 

• I like it 1

IMG_20171230_212354151.thumb.jpg.094626e41a281a4b4c3fd614e9346e70.jpg
IMG_20171230_212402401.jpg.b88202e1cc0ce0c20675f137887774af.jpg

I think they messed up on the label on that Four Roses OBSF. The "B" recipe is a 35% rye mashbill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.