What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

D752E556-446B-4DA8-8E43-804700155BBE.thumb.jpeg.5cbf7f363b1c04cfeb724d4f7739cd67.jpeg

Reaching for the strong stuff lately. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 2

Wigle Pennsylvannia rye followed by a 1792 Full Proof Loch & K(e)y Society barrel pick last night after Whiskey Wednesday tasting of independent bottler scotch (Exclusive Malts and Single Cask Nation).  Wife said I didn't snore too much . . . . . . .

Edited by GeeTen

On 5/1/2018 at 6:41 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Congrats and welcome to the club.  If you work it right, you will be busier than you've ever been; AND, most of the choices will be things YOU want to do, not what others want you to do.

Today, I opened the first Jefferson's Ocean I have ever tasted OR purchased.  It was Voyage 15, the wheated.  DOn't know the mash bill, but it is supposedly contract distilled by Kentucky Artisan Distillery in Crestwood KY for JO.  Whatever.

For the price, about $85 a 750, I was prepared to be disappointed.  Instead, I was pleasantly surprised.

Nose - some bourbon spice, not rye spice.  It was some cinnamon, some caramel, some vanilla, and some warm brown sugar.  Nothing huge, just nice.  Even at 90 proof, it rivals MM CS ($65 here) in complexity which may not approach slightly above average rye forward bourbon in complexity, BUT it was more fun to chew on than MANY rye forward bourbons I consume.

Palate - a creamy, slightly salted caramel supports a dark fruit (Bing cherry/plum compote with NO added sugar) body.  It is really chewy.  That corn base does carry the wheat essence well.

Finish - medium to long featuring a bit of spice (no rye spice, just a tang) and some mild oak matched with a hint of vanilla.

In other words, when wheated options are MM CS at $65 or David Nicholson 1843 100 proof @ $35, I do think this 90 proofer is competitive.

Who'd have believed that? 

Kentucky Artisan and Jefferson's are the same company, fairly certain this is MGP Wheated bourbon for a number of reasons, for one Jefferson's typically puts Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on bottles when it's applicable and this one just says Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  Of course if they followed labeling regulations it would list the state of distillation somewhere but IIRC it doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong.  Straight (NAS so 4 year +) Wheated bourbon is only available from a few sources one of which would be MGP (see last years Redemption Wheated). 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Kentucky Artisan and Jefferson's are the same company, fairly certain this is MGP Wheated bourbon for a number of reasons, for one Jefferson's typically puts Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on bottles when it's applicable and this one just says Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  Of course if they followed labeling regulations it would list the state of distillation somewhere but IIRC it doesn't, correct me if I'm wrong.  Straight (NAS so 4 year +) Wheated bourbon is only available from a few sources one of which would be MGP (see last years Redemption Wheated). 

I had pulled up the MGP website and had put the MGP wheated mash bill in the post then took it out because, after checking the JO and KAD websites, I wasn't sure it WAS from MGP.  The Jefferson's and KY Artisan Distillers websites said nothing to clarify but sure implied that KAD had distilled it even though it (as Copperhead) opened in 2015 which is less than four years ago.  Hence, I stuck the word "supposedly" in there.  In other words, I, too, think it came from MGP but don't know for sure.  51% corn, 45% wheat, 4% barley if it did.  The bottle is downstairs.  I'll check the label (EDIT for state of distillation) after Nats/Pirates is over.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I had pulled up the MGP website and had put the MGP wheated mash bill in the post then took it out because, after checking the JO and KAD websites, I wasn't sure it WAS from MGP.  The Jefferson's and KY Artisan Distillers websites said nothing to clarify but sure implied that KAD had distilled it even though it (as Copperhead) opened in 2015 which is less than four years ago.  Hence, I stuck the word "supposedly" in there.  In other words, I, too, think it came from MGP but don't know for sure.  51% corn, 45% wheat, 4% barley if it did.  The bottle is downstairs.  I'll check the label (EDIT for state of distillation) after Nats/Pirates is over.

I would look at mine but it's on the other side of the Hudson River where I would like to be on this beautiful day, on the other hand very happy to not be watching the Mets get clubbed by the Bravos. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I would look at mine but it's on the other side of the Hudson River where I would like to be on this beautiful day, on the other hand very happy to not be watching the Mets get clubbed by the Bravos. 

NATS WIN!!  Also - Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 15 the Wheated has nary a word on the bottle alluding to place/state/whom distilled.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

NATS WIN!!  Also - Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 15 the Wheated has nary a word on the bottle alluding to place/state/whom distilled.

Well doing some comparative research which will also serve to dull the pain of the rapid reversal of fortunes for my Mets. If these are the same mash I will say that this might be the best confirmation of the effects of the sea aging as the Jefferson's definitely has something resembling brine going on that isn't present in the Redemption. I always thought that note was kind of imaginary in Ocean since even the Jefferson's small batch has a bitter note that kind of comes off as a seaweed kind of thing to me.

y4m76H1KLP1ZMf4OJHvren6tTdOWrhJ0zyd0KSlF

• I like it 1

The last pour from the big fella. This bottle lasted about 7 months. I'm glad I stumbled upon this one at retail. While I thoroughly enjoy it, I'm in the camp that enjoys OWA a little more. Plus the OWA is slightly easier to find, which is a nice little bonus. 

20180503_185158.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie

3oz of OF 1920 followed by a more reasonable pour of OESQ. Feeling thirsty tonight.

Today, I am having a snort (yes, that is the technical term) of Eagle Rare.  I wanted to try something else from Buffalo Trace that used the same mash bill as BT is one of my go to bourbons.  I have found ER to have a sweeter profile than BT but that may be just me. 

Oh, my derby run bourbon this Saturday will be a double Oaked Woodford.

Got the Stagg today and had to crack it open.  Also wanted to compare it Jr (which I really enjoy).  It's incredible how much darker the GTS is.  Stagg Jr is all cherry cola to me and GTS has an amazing cacao powder nose.

IMG_4862.JPG

• I like it 2

We are in Tucson for a wedding and there was a whole shelf of HPR at Total Wine. Talked to the bourbon guy and found out I missed PHC11 and ECBP this morning. He actually thought he had a PHC left. Pulled up the empty case to check.

20180503_193249-1209x1612.jpg

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Today, I am having a snort (yes, that is the technical term) of Eagle Rare.  I wanted to try something else from Buffalo Trace that used the same mash bill as BT is one of my go to bourbons.  I have found ER to have a sweeter profile than BT but that may be just me. 

I highly recommend seeking out EH Taylor Small Batch since you like BT's mash bill #1. I love the stuff. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Haven’t had eagle rare in a while, but picked up a bottle today. The liquor store said as of today eagle rare is officially an allocated bottle for the time being. Anyone else here this?

Haven’t had eagle rare in a while, but picked up a bottle today. The liquor store said as of today eagle rare is officially an allocated bottle for the time being. Anyone else here this?

Not in Arizona.... I see it in every store I go into.

I'm enjoying the standard 4R Single Barrel.  It came from a grocery store.  Luck of the draw, this seems unusually better than average barrel to me.

53 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

I’m mean from now until the uncertain future. Deliveries from now on will be few and far between. That typically means to stock up with bottles o shelf although I’m not 100% sure. I do trust the source though.

Got plenty of Eagle Rare in Taxachusetts, too (for now).  $26.99 OTD.

9 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

ER is not a unicorn in St. Louis but it's not usually everywhere. You have to wait or search for it. I'm in Tucson for the weekend and was surprised to see it 10 deep in the shelves even at a Target store.  $32.99 here.

ER is not a unicorn in St. Louis but it's not usually everywhere. You have to wait or search for it. I'm in Tucson for the weekend and was surprised to see it 10 deep in the shelves even at a Target store.  $32.99 here.

I can’t find a ECBP to save my life though!

Just now, Curtis Reed said:

I can’t find a ECBP to save my life though!

You wont find it often in STL either. I was at the TW in Tucson last night and the guy said he got 6 bottles of ECBP yesterday and sold out of them that morning.

9 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I’m mean from now until the uncertain future. Deliveries from now on will be few and far between. That typically means to stock up with bottles o shelf although I’m not 100% sure. I do trust the source though.

There are no store picks this year but with BT/Saz IMHO they put everything on allocation to create artificial demand, there is plenty of ER on the shelves here, there is no Weller but of course there is a new Weller coming out, all of this reeks of BS to me. 

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

D752E556-446B-4DA8-8E43-804700155BBE.thumb.jpeg.5cbf7f363b1c04cfeb724d4f7739cd67.jpeg

Reaching for the strong stuff lately. Cheers! 

Will.

Almost done.

38 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Almost done.

To be honest, i'll not miss this bottle, my least fav of the bunch. I've got more coming though, waiting for 2015 which just landed in Belgium today, still have to go through customs, but i'll have it soon. Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.