What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Regular Buffalo Trace never disappoints me, and I can safely say it’s my “favorite” every day, any occasion, always available, bourbon. But, sometimes it just hits my sweet spot even better...like today.  When BT is at its best for me there is this rich leathery/earthy tone that powers forward and then becomes enveloped in a caramel sweetness.  Together, it’s magic.  Over a few cubes after a busy day, it is simply stellar.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Regular Buffalo Trace never disappoints me, and I can safely say it’s my “favorite” every day, any occasion, always available, bourbon. But, sometimes it just hits my sweet spot even better...like today.  When BT is at its best for me there is this rich leathery/earthy tone that powers forward and then becomes enveloped in a caramel sweetness.  Together, it’s magic.  Over a few cubes after a busy day, it is simply stellar.

For me there's something special, or magical about BT--it was the first bourbon that I instantly loved, rather than just thinking "hey that's not bad" or "well I don't hate it." lol.

More OGD114 for me. Or I should say, LESS OGD114, this time...

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Or you can vat the OGD114 with WSR, 1:1, and have your own "Grandpa Weller's Four Grain" (a summertime favorite!) - YUM!

Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain.jpg

That sounds interesting, but almost no Weller comes to Indiana anymore.  I'm probably more likely to find a genuine LE bottle than Weller - no joke.  I think I gave up the snipe hunt officially around 2015 or so.  No worries, I'm enjoying the OGD.

Having some HM 10y tonight. For the most part, the new barrels are pretty good. The one I'm having tonight is 4320. 

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This describes me yesterday. Earthy.........yes. Followed by caramel.........yes. When it's on, it's really on like few others. 

Well it's not Stagg, but it is yummy enough for a late afternoon tipple at the office.

IMG_20180509_165906.thumb.jpg.b2c39e0da4456de9cf75faee1a6dcbcb.jpg

• I like it 1

Going simple! Hot dogs & sausage on the grill with my second bottle of a LS select KC 120 by my side.

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

Starting the evening with a small pour of Al Young. Not sure where the evening will lead from here 

Last night a healthy pour of CEHT SmB.  Well there wasn't enough left in the bottle for another pour so . . . Honestly, there really wasn't.

EMPTY CEHT.jpeg

In situations where I would normally drink beer but am in a bourbon mood Evan Williams single barrel over a big cube ina yeti is my go to. I love the lower proof but still nuanced pour. Each sip is different when factoring in ice melt. Perfect for a warm spring evening by the grill. 

5A03EB41-ABC1-41DA-9DDF-D01174392454.jpeg

• I like it 3

363D0534-EDC9-4F89-B7BE-4E99C5587A55.thumb.jpeg.276f398c551ef5a8ded7ae2c8cff30d1.jpeg

My personal favorite, cheers! 

Will.
How does that drink? Smooth or harsh? Just wondering about the proof.

Well it's not Stagg, but it is yummy enough for a late afternoon tipple at the office.
IMG_20180509_165906.thumb.jpg.b2c39e0da4456de9cf75faee1a6dcbcb.jpg
In the office? How?

In situations where I would normally drink beer but am in a bourbon mood Evan Williams single barrel over a big cube ina yeti is my go to. I love the lower proof but still nuanced pour. Each sip is different when factoring in ice melt. Perfect for a warm spring evening by the grill. 

5A03EB41-ABC1-41DA-9DDF-D01174392454.thumb.jpeg.170d430089300acea484dbe0e62084da.jpeg
That looks delicious! Is that a big piece of pork

15 minutes ago, reeko said:

In the office? How?

Not a big deal for my company as long as it's a small pour, and I always offer to share ????

29 minutes ago, reeko said:
2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

5A03EB41-ABC1-41DA-9DDF-D01174392454.thumb.jpeg.170d430089300acea484dbe0e62084da.jpeg

That looks delicious! Is that a big piece of pork

Two pork tenderloins. I brine them in salt/sugar, trim excess fat, rub w/ olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill them on a cedar plank (many people use salmon on the plank). Serve with yellow rice and black beans. 

33 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Two pork tenderloins. I brine them in salt/sugar, trim excess fat, rub w/ olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill them on a cedar plank (many people use salmon on the plank). Serve with yellow rice and black beans. 

Slip a small piece of bourbon barrel in for a bit of smoke.  Heaven...

8 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I’ve heard of that but have never really looked into it. Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to find some. 

Edited by Mako254

14 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

5 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I’ve heard of that but have never really looked into it. Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to find some. 

Barton sells small bags of barrel char in its gift shop. I've also seen barrel char at the BT booth during the KBF.

Biba! Joe

24 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

15 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Barton sells small bags of barrel char in its gift shop. I've also seen barrel char at the BT booth during the KBF.

Biba! Joe

I've got the Barton char, and it isn't as good as pieces of Stave, cut to 4" sections.  Best source I've found is to search garden centers, especially big box stores, in summer.  Many carry whiskey barrel planters (make sure they are authentic), and quite a few fall apart as the spring/summer shopping season goes by.  By the hot summer, nobody is shopping for gardens, and they want to clear them out.  Even better is when one completely falls apart.  You can get them for next to nothing.

I smoke and BBQ a lot, and it's my favorite wood, by far.

Btw- I'd probably go without the cedar if introducing the other smoke.  Conflicting flavors...

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 1

That is some quality information. I’ll keep an eye out for sure. 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

B-F JD has licensed a company near it to chip used barrels and sell them under the JD logo for adding smoke when grilling.  It is maple rather than hickory so it does have its own flavor.  A two pound bag, in my experience, may last years.B)

EDIT - Oh yeah - the thread subject.  I haven't had anything tonight.  Yet.  Think I'll open my KC 25th.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Just got home from first time visit to a bar in Oakland.  Had Pappy 15, GTS and WLW for $25/1.5oz. pour each.  It was a good evening...

• I like it 1

B-F JD has licensed a company near it to chip used barrels and sell them under the JD logo for adding smoke when grilling.  It is maple rather than hickory so it does have its own flavor.  A two pound bag, in my experience, may last years.B)

EDIT - Oh yeah - the thread subject.  I haven't had anything tonight.  Yet.  Think I'll open my KC 25th.

I believe any used barrel chips would be white oak rather than maple. The charcoal that JD uses in the LCP, however, is maple.

Back on thread...I'm enjoying some regular WT101 this evening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.