What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

B-F JD has licensed a company near it to chip used barrels and sell them under the JD logo for adding smoke when grilling.  It is maple rather than hickory so it does have its own flavor.  A two pound bag, in my experience, may last years.B)

EDIT - Oh yeah - the thread subject.  I haven't had anything tonight.  Yet.  Think I'll open my KC 25th.

Chips don't smoke as well as chunks.  Too fast of a burn, less smoldering fire gives a harsher taste.  Bigger pieces burn slower, and if you do it right, can get yo almost a clear smoke- that's what you want...  the barrels I've bought at Menards have all been JD, bte.

back to topic, drinking some DN1843 I bought in IL last weekend.  Not bad stuff...

• I like it 1

Love the smoker. Lately into making pastrami. Its a legit 2 week process but the missus says its the best thing I’ve made. Amazing how fast 10 lbs goes. 

Pic is half the batch.

4E59A06E-7862-4700-80A3-9FB30B98BDE7.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, reeko said:
14 hours ago, Masset1982 said:
363D0534-EDC9-4F89-B7BE-4E99C5587A55.thumb.jpeg.276f398c551ef5a8ded7ae2c8cff30d1.jpeg

My personal favorite, cheers! 

Will.

How does that drink? Smooth or harsh? Just wondering about the proof.

It depends if you are used to barrel or not. Sipping it with tiny sips and you're good, of course water helps, this one can handle water, no problem. it can't be smooth at that proof, but alcohol is well integrated. 

Will.

20 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

363D0534-EDC9-4F89-B7BE-4E99C5587A55.thumb.jpeg.276f398c551ef5a8ded7ae2c8cff30d1.jpeg

My personal favorite, cheers! 

Will.

Awesome! Highest proof I've ever seen in a bourbon. Enjoy!

5 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Awesome! Highest proof I've ever seen in a bourbon. Enjoy!

You've forgotten the 2016 at 72.05 % ABV, and the 2007 which is even higher ;-)))) 

Will. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Masset1982 said:

You've forgotten the 2016 at 72.05 % ABV, and the 2007 which is even higher ;-)))) 

Will. 

Damn! I've only seen bottles posted here, never in person.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Damn! I've only seen bottles posted here, never in person.

If it makes you feel better, i've never seen a 2007 in person ;-)) 

Will.

Edited by Masset1982
  • I like it 1

2018_05_10_18_09_29.jpg

10 Year, 9 Month OBSK arrived today.  My first 4R BP, very impressed.

This bottle makes my (not very good) sniffer and tongue sit up and pay

attention.  For a high(er) rye bourbon and a 120 proof, my wife also likes

it, surprisingly.  I may have to bunker a couple bottles of this....

Long day today. Cracked a fresh Blanton’s. Always good. This ones from warehouse H!

D6174385-2733-40B6-AF22-A7A7D55DBFFB.jpeg

At the office after a leadership meeting at work a few of us got into bottles of Trail’s End, Stagg Jr, Larceny, Auchentoshan three wood, and McCarthy’s in my office.

Started off with some RR10 and followed it up with some OF86 while watching some Predators hockey. Hope my boys can pull off a game 7 win.

Having a very good pour of BT from '07, the cork broke when I opened it a few years ago. This bourbon has just gotten better over time.

DD048D20-472F-4A43-AF4E-7CBBB7E867BB.thumb.jpeg.e194d10a8f52b7abc4aa8bd256cc9cb9.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Long day today. Cracked a fresh Blanton’s. Always good. This ones from warehouse H!

All Blanton's are from Warehouse H

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, l364cy said:

10 Year, 9 Month OBSK arrived today.  My first 4R BP, very impressed.

This bottle makes my (not very good) sniffer and tongue sit up and pay

attention.  For a high(er) rye bourbon and a 120 proof, my wife also likes

it, surprisingly.  I may have to bunker a couple bottles of this....

I love Four Roses Private Selections and OBSK has been my favorite of the recipes.

Cracked a High West American Prairie to go on the rocks. Pretty decent. 

• I like it 1

my first Weller Antique  107. 

wasn't sure on first tasting but added a small ice cube to open it up.  wow its a real nice drop.

• I like it 1

Having my first pour of the new WRMC Batch Proof.  I know this isn’t saying a lot but this is probably the best of the series. The only other 2 I liked were Sweetmash and Seasoned Oak. It’s a little hot but nothing off putting, at the end it has a little WR  Double Oak flavor. I will buy another if I come across one. 

2E38CF82-A4FB-438B-B5A6-C77171D8F1C7.thumb.jpeg.a02d5f3f39b24651788f7d942f5d4e5e.jpeg

At the office after a leadership meeting at work a few of us got into bottles of Trail’s End, Stagg Jr, Larceny, Auchentoshan three wood, and McCarthy’s in my office.
You must be a big hit in the office! We need more people like you heh

It depends if you are used to barrel or not. Sipping it with tiny sips and you're good, of course water helps, this one can handle water, no problem. it can't be smooth at that proof, but alcohol is well integrated. 

Will.
I am used to barrel proofs. The highest ones I've had are probably Stagg Jr at 65 and Jack Daniel's barrel proof at 67. I enjoy both. I've never cracked the 70 mark. One day I'll score one....

Started the evening grilling some Smoked Gouda and Ham brats with a glass of ETL. Moved on to some Michters Toasted Rye

Edited by km1589
  • I like it 1

Two weeks in a row enjoying a pour of standard 4R yellow label after years of not liking it at all.  Hmmm....

Two weeks in a row enjoying a pour of standard 4R yellow label after years of not liking it at all.  Hmmm....

Even you can see the error of your ways given enough time [emoji6]

A pour if HW American Prairie Reserve followed by a splash of ORVW 10 after dinner with wifey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.