What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4R
9C804932-9704-4E0D-9E45-B40092260F96.thumb.jpeg.eb4d0d311f8c04dccce76f9a0dbc04a6.jpeg

So how is that Southwell 12yo hiding in the back? Is it worth the money?

Having a pour of 86 proof Barton from a plastic 375 and enjoying it just fine.

I've still got a bunch of those with the 6yr age statement. Definitely decent stuff for the money, and great travel bottles.
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

So how is that Southwell 12yo hiding in the back? Is it worth the money?

Funny you asked I just saw people on here wondering about it.

To me its GD juice, you can taste the age on this one. It has a very good dark chocolate taste, it fades pretty quick on the finish, but is easy to drink. not bad at all. Now is it worth $70, I don't think it is. I don't think I will buy another, but its something I'm enjoying. 

Their is something about the 1st sip with this bourbon that is so good, and you spend the rest of the glass chasing it, if that makes any sense.

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Their is something about the 1st sip with this bourbon that is so good, and you spend the rest of the glass chasing it, if that makes any sense.

Love your description, Lloyd.  It does make sense.  I’ve had that experience with some whiskies, and it’s pretty cool.  Sometimes, it only happens one time in a bottle, and can happen with a bottle from $9 to $90.  But, that “chase” is so, so, fun.  

• I like it 3

Trying Big Level tonight. I like it. It's a very unique tasting bourbon. It's got a distinct shortbread cookie thing going on. Very good thick mouthfeel. It loses a bit on the finish. There is something there I can't quite put my finger on. It's a totally different sweetness than Weller or other wheated bourbons. It also has almost no spiciness or cinnamon flavors you get from something like OWA. It's more like a sweet bread.  Not much color difference between this at 5 years and their first release at 2 years (which I have not opened and tasted).

20180523_210449-1209x1612.jpg

Funny you asked I just saw people on here wondering about it.
To me its GD juice, you can taste the age on this one. It has a very good dark chocolate taste, it fades pretty quick on the finish, but is easy to drink. not bad at all. Now is it worth $70, I don't think it is. I don't think I will buy another, but its something I'm enjoying. 

I figured it was overpriced, but decent bourbon. I wrote a comment in the "what did you pass on today" thread stating all the reasons why I'm not interested in it for the price. You obviously still have a problem with the price point, so I'm not likely to buy a bottle any time soon unless I find a bottle on clearance somewhere.

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I figured it was overpriced, but decent bourbon. I wrote a comment in the "what did you pass on today" thread stating all the reasons why I'm not interested in it for the price. You obviously still have a problem with the price point, so I'm not likely to buy a bottle any time soon unless I find a bottle on clearance somewhere.

Look at it like this, if you find a $100 in your pocket and you go to a liquor store, and there is a Stagg Jr. and a Southwell 12y side by side...... buy the Stagg and take your wife out to dinner. If she has made you mad lately, buy the Southwell 12y and give it a try, and don't take her out.

• I like it 3

Just finished off one of my two Jefferson's Ocean wheated (Voyage 15).  Pricey for a wheated, but around here, comparable to W12.:rolleyes:  Hence, I don't feel too bad about paying with plastic.

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Just finished off one of my two Jefferson's Ocean wheated (Voyage 15).  Pricey for a wheated, but around here, comparable to W12.:rolleyes:  Hence, I don't feel too bad about paying with plastic.

This was running $75 here so I passed. One store had it for $61 but they were out.

This hit all the right notes tonight. Sweet on the palate up front, strong spice on the finish and a nose that was everything I love about Wild Turkey. If this barrel is indicative of WT under Eddie Russell, there is some fantastic bourbon headed our way. 

C4CE038A-32E1-4044-B9BD-49AD3FD66609.jpeg

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Look at it like this, if you find a $100 in your pocket and you go to a liquor store, and there is a Stagg Jr. and a Southwell 12y side by side...... buy the Stagg and take your wife out to dinner. If she has made you mad lately, buy the Southwell 12y and give it a try, and don't take her out.

LC, you are one of those guys we can always count on to take for the team.

Well done.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

Follow up pour. 

296605F2-FA09-4516-83FA-063F129FD165.jpeg

I see that your Turkey hat is on tonight.

I just finished a pour of RB so mine is too.

22 minutes ago, flahute said:

I see that your Turkey hat is on tonight.

I just finished a pour of RB so mine is too.

Really excited about where WT is headed under Eddie Russell. I cant get enough RRsib and every time I come back to the newest rare breed I can’t help but think of all the folks (me being one previously) who go to a bottle shop, scan the shelf of LEs / unicorns get dejected and walk about thinking they are ‘missing out’ when great bourbon (according to my taste buddies) is staring them in the face. 

Not to say I don’t hunt for LEs or get excited when I come across an elusive bottle in the wild but I have also found ‘the best ability is availability’ and there are a while bunch of great bourbons to be had. 

• I like it 3

Some Baker's at the Delta Sky Club in ATL on my way home...

IMG_9377.thumb.JPG.e0d5f61d3ddfffa318d22d997b07872c.JPG

• I like it 3

Nice bottle here, can’t believe I waited this long to grab a bottle...

C6CE4F9D-797F-4F2A-9BB3-E56552B71230.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Some Baker's at the Delta Sky Club in ATL on my way home...

IMG_9377.thumb.JPG.e0d5f61d3ddfffa318d22d997b07872c.JPG

Count me among those that have passed this bourbon by as it sits unassumingly on the LS shelf.  I have had a few pours over the years but finally bought a bottle and am enjoying it immensely !  Like a marriage between Bookers & Knob Creek.

baker.thumb.jpg.889347e7ef27ebe9d4e487e328915d35.jpg

• I like it 1

An OESK from the gift shop followed by some 2014 LE FRSmB. It’s a Four Roses kind of night

A little sbs with different mashbills, different age, but the same yeast. These are both fantastic, but the OBSQ has that extra OOMPH that just hits the spot.  Last year I bought a store pick OBSK that was just flat, and it made me question my cult membership. SBSs like this make me realize that was just a dud of a barrel, and that my place in the cult shall never falter. 

20180524_212949.jpg

• I like it 3

16 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

A little sbs with different mashbills, different age, but the same yeast. These are both fantastic, but the OBSQ has that extra OOMPH that just hits the spot.  Last year I bought a store pick OBSK that was just flat, and it made me question my cult membership. SBSs like this make me realize that was just a dud of a barrel, and that my place in the cult shall never falter. 

20180524_212949.jpg

I've got a ~10 year OESQ from Binny's open right now that is among the best whiskies I've ever tasted. I did a blind SBS with Stagg Jr Batch 9 the other day and it made the Stagg seem harsh and simple (I think the Stagg is quite good on it's own, it's just that the OESQ is *that* good). I want to find an OBSQ before I finish this so I can do a SBS.

I did not like this bourbon the first 3-4 times I tried it, but now it is a favorite of mine. On my 3rd bottle now.IMG_8205.JPG

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

So underrated, but so goood! 

Will.

• I like it 2

First sip from remaining SA Big Level pour from last night is pretty tasty this morning.  I get the shortbread cookie now but the finish is still not very long.  Nicer mouthfeel than I remember from the first taste, tho'.  The jury's first straw poll is looking sorta' favorable - will revisit tonite after work, on the deck, maybe with a drop of water or a giant, round ice cube in the Yeti.  Chinese BBQ chicken, anyone???

14 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

That's a good one! I still have some left.

Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.