What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Cooking some ribs old school, over an open fire and enjoying some WT RRSB. Very nice evening. 

And my dogs keeping guard. 14D17916-927E-47E1-82CC-6E0ABA285DC2.thumb.jpeg.d9887eca3f40ad7eeb7237b50d884ceb.jpeg

Can you spell perfection???

• I like it 2

My wife is out of town this weekend for her Mother's birthday.  Poor me -- I have to cook my own supper tonight.  Turkey and T-bone, oh yeah!

WT Decades Small.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

A little heavy on the vegetables, don't ya think.

I see a four corse meal here... Meat, beans, corn juice and grapes all washed down with ice water!

11 hours ago, flahute said:

There’s a lot of us here who love Bakers. As you know, I’ve posted about it many times. As you are correct to point out, it’s the price point that holds it back for many. It’s $57 here plus our insane taxes. 

Formsome strange reason, price really varies on this around the country. We’re on the high side. 

I can occasionally find Bakers in the mid-$30s.  However, it is normally anywhere from $42 to $50.  I do like it and occasionally will bring home a bottle.  However, if I am going to spend $40, I am usually looking at FRSiB or something on sale.  For the same price, I would probably pick up a KCSB PS unless I include a bottle of Bakers as an add on.

20180527_215150.thumb.jpg.2b6310e723799a0d13c518a45a26436d.jpgWe had a nice little get together today. Pulled pork, jalapeno poppers, etc with some games and threw the baseball around. Everyone's gone so it's time for a store pick EC. That's a darn good Sunday. 

• I like it 2

Poured myself a 50:50 blend of WT Diamond Anniversary and WT Rare Breed 112 proof.  As a Turkey Head I have other WT offerings that I like more (big Rare Breed fan but the 112 proof is my least favorite) so I like this blend because the end result is better than either bottle on its own.

Loving a PS WTKS tonight. Heavy cinnamon on the nose, nothing unbelievable on the palate but no flaws either and a nice tobacco finish. Hitting the spot! 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, flahute said:

There’s a lot of us here who love Bakers. As you know, I’ve posted about it many times. As you are correct to point out, it’s the price point that holds it back for many. It’s $57 here plus our insane taxes. 

Formsome strange reason, price really varies on this around the country. We’re on the high side. 

Yeah, I have to say, $57 is pretty steep for Baker's.  What is the competition at that price in Washington state?  And how much is Booker and KC?

Actually when I said that it goes for $40-42 here in Texas, that's at the more competitive liquor stores.  There are plenty of stores that price it for what Booker's used to sell for before the price hike ($49).

Having some HMcK10BIB from my mini barrel decanter tonight. Maybe TOO much.

• I like it 1

Really been enjoying the Tom Moore BiB lately.  For $20-ish per 1.75mL, it may be the best value in all of bourbon land.

The last few days have been really busy, so I'm spending Memorial Day being lazy, eating leftover bbq, and watching war movies. I used to think beer and bbq were the perfect combo until I got real into bourbon. A high eye BiB is the perfect compliment to pulled pork.

Cheers to those that have served. 

20180528_120510.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

Braves on the radio and a new Baker’s while relaxing on a really, really, really, humid day.  Took 5 stores to find it, though.  

D4B2189F-488A-4451-8095-0681B1F6AED6.jpeg

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Braves on the radio and a new Baker’s while relaxing on a really, really, really, humid day.  Took 5 stores to find it, though.  

D4B2189F-488A-4451-8095-0681B1F6AED6.jpeg

So...was it worth fighting the traffic for ??

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

Got an informal sbs of RY10 and W12 going right now.

Interesting.  Share your impressions when you get a chance, please.

In celebration of my 1000th post to this great forum, I decided to grab one of the bottles that helped start this whole journey for me.

I bought my first bottle of this (from Toddy's in Bardstown) back in September of 2010, because I had visited  the Heaven Hill heritage center and wanted a bottle that said "Heaven Hill" on it as a souvenir.

Opened it in front of the campfire that evening.

Almost eight years later, I'm still buying it and still enjoying the trip back in time with each sip.

IMAG3397_1.jpg

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

In celebration of my 1000th post to this great forum, I decided to grab one of the bottles that helped start this whole journey for me.

I bought my first bottle of this (from Toddy's in Bardstown) back in September of 2010, because I had visited  the Heaven Hill heritage center and wanted a bottle that said "Heaven Hill" on it as a souvenir.

Opened it in front of the campfire that evening.

Almost eight years later, I'm still buying it and still enjoying the trip back in time with each sip.

IMAG3397_1.jpg

Great choice!

100 degrees here in Minneapolis. How would you suggest enjoying a bourbon? Seems just to hit for neat.

5 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

100 degrees here in Minneapolis. How would you suggest enjoying a bourbon? Seems just to hit for neat.

Well I just made myself a Buffalo Trace bourbon creme rootbeer float.  Perfect for a hot day.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Cranecreek said:

So...was it worth fighting the traffic for ??

Always!  :D

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

Make a tall old fashioned with lots of ice...

Been busy out and about this weekend so I haven't posted so . . . to catch everyone up, on Saturday we met some friends at Oskar's Slider Bar in Louisville and saw a bottle of OGD BIB sitting behind the bar.  Since I enjoy OGD 114 so much I had a nice healthy pour, plus it was only $5.00.  Later we went to a friends house and we were doing a wine tasting.  He asked if I wanted a bourbon and of course I said yes.  He asked what kind and I told him to surprise me.  I had to guess what it was.  My palate must be getting better because I was able to discern that it was a WT product, but after that was stumped.  The reason being, was that it was their new product WT Longbranch.  I had seen it in the store but wasn't sure whether I would like it.  Needless to say it's on my to buy list.  Has a hint of cocoa/unsweetened chocolate, and some of that WT spice that I always get.

• I like it 1

Family fun time yesterday at Galvan0791’s house. Burgers, brats & dogs on the grill, plus other good food. A couple of beers, pours of OGD 114, Belle Meade, WTRB, and Glenn’s Creek Stave And Barrel. Throw in a cigar, and some relaxing in the pool to top it all off. Man, what a great day. :)

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.