What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (Spring 2018)

DCFan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting the afternoon off with a good pour of Weller 12y, over ice. I needed something cool, It was hot today.

• I like it 1

Setting up a tasting for some bourbon curious friends and family later. 

Proof and rye content increase with each pour.  My favorite part of this whole hobby is sharing with people I care about. 

BT 9yr store pick

EC 9 yr store pick ‘beast masters Midnight Rider’

SAOS 7yr 99 proof

OBSO 11 yr 110.8 proof. 

A099E22F-C81D-4DE6-89F8-786F5A3C22D8.jpeg

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 4

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Maker's Mark CS this evening. Spicy!

I haven't had this in a while. I really like it. A quality cask strength wheated bourbon at a reasonable price. Underrated.

I remember paying $35 for a 375 ml at Binny's when it first came out since distribution was limited. I saw the local Kroger has it for $43.99 for a 750 ml with 15% off. I will pick up a bottle when they have their next 30% off sale. That will make close to $38, almost what I paid for the 375 ml several years ago.

Getting FR SiB for $23 and MMCS for $38 is about as Zen as it gets.

• I like it 1

On 5/24/2018 at 7:37 PM, Stump1998 said:

Nice bottle here, can’t believe I waited this long to grab a bottle...

C6CE4F9D-797F-4F2A-9BB3-E56552B71230.jpeg

I am working down a bottle I grabbed during holidays for $36. It is one of my favorite releases over the past 5 years. I usually proof down to around 100. Enjoy!

56 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Setting up a tasting for some bourbon curious friends and family later. 

Proof and rye content increase with each pour.  My favorite part of this whole hobby is sharing with people I care about. 

BT 9yr store pick

EC 9 yr store pick ‘beast masters Midnight Rider’

SAOS 7yr 99 proof

OBSO 11 yr 110.8 proof. 

Impressive and very well thought out.  I think your selections are right-on.

Edited by Cranecreek

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

First sip from remaining SA Big Level pour from last night is pretty tasty this morning.  I get the shortbread cookie now but the finish is still not very long.  Nicer mouthfeel than I remember from the first taste, tho'.  The jury's first straw poll is looking sorta' favorable - will revisit tonite after work, on the deck, maybe with a drop of water or a giant, round ice cube in the Yeti.  Chinese BBQ chicken, anyone???

Do you like the SA Big Level better than SA Contradiction?

Almost finished the bottle. I'm not sure yet if I want to replace it or not. It definitely tastes better after it being opened for a while. IMG_20180522_171707.jpeg

Decided to kickoff the holiday weekend with a healthy pour of ECBP B517. Great way to celebrate a long weekend with the family, doing yard work, date night with the wife and most importantly, saluting those that have given so much on the battlefield for us to enjoy our freedom. Cheers to a great and safe weekend everyone!

• I like it 1

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 11:48 PM, ThirstyinOhio said:

Drinking some Smooth Ambler that our bourbon club picked about a year ago.

MyDrink.jpg

That looks fantastic.

The 9 year Elijah Craig and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 year were favorites. Poured some 12 year Van Winkle ‘lot b’ after the tasting. Everyone found it “lacking”. Not to knock the juice (I like it) but interesting to get feed back from people that are new to bourbon.

97900EA7-1E16-4E1A-B7FA-3B6C6ED14114.jpeg

• I like it 4

My boy is in from Georgia for the long weekend, so I cracked open the Old Fitz BIB, 11-year decanter.    While it would never be confused with Weller Centennial, it was a very nice pour, with a good balanced nose, and a satisfyingly elegant  (if a bit narrow) palate and better than expected finish with a good deal of cinnamon fading with the wood notes (which were not overpowering). 

Is it worth the price?    Probably not, just for the distillate... but, toss in the beautiful decanter and it's close.    We enjoyed the experience quite well.

It’s Memorial Day weekend in West Michigan.  Spring or rather Summer has unofficially arrived.  We went from Winter to Summer with about a week and a half of Spring.  From highs in the 60s to the low 90s this weekend.  Whew!  You would think that I was back in Louisiana.  Let the Yankees complain about the heat and humidity.  I’ll just soak it up while enjoying a nip or two.  Still working on a bottle of Eagle Rare and was gifted a bottle of Elijah Craig for my birthday earlier this month.  Going to break that one open for a pour tonight at dusk.  Nothing better than a balmy evening outdoors and a good bourbon.

Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream over ice generously spiked with bourbon - BT, naturally...

• I like it 1

On 5/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, JCwhammie said:

A little sbs with different mashbills, different age, but the same yeast. These are both fantastic, but the OBSQ has that extra OOMPH that just hits the spot.  Last year I bought a store pick OBSK that was just flat, and it made me question my cult membership. SBSs like this make me realize that was just a dud of a barrel, and that my place in the cult shall never falter. 

Nice sbs between the Q's.

Just as a side note, I have an OBSO bottle right now that I felt was a real turd for the last 2 years its been open.  I even tried other OBSO's that all tasted better to me.

Well, the other night the wife tried it and gave me some tasting notes, that changed what I thought I was experiencing in the bottle.  Sure it's still not my favorite, but I have a whole lot more respect for it now that I have a better understanding of what I'm tasting and why it wasn't quite fitting in with my other 4R bottles.

Anyway, my point is that it's always refreshing for me to get other opinions on things I think I know.  :)

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am working down a bottle I grabbed during holidays for $36. It is one of my favorite releases over the past 5 years. I usually proof down to around 100. Enjoy!

That’s a awesome price. I would have got a couple at that.

52 minutes ago, beasled said:

RRSiB is tasting mighty fine this evening. Cheers all!

Doesn't it always?  :)

9 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

That’s a awesome price. I would have got a couple at that.

HaHa, I did!  They had it on sale for $45.99 and then I got an additional 20% off for a holiday sale.  I ended up buying a third bottle of a local craft that I really wanted to try.  That was a mistake.  When it first came out, you could find a bottle for around $50.  Now, it is generally closer to $60.  

Edited by mbroo5880i

Started the night with a Bakers 50ml I found for 2 bucks (I like it. Not sure why it doesn't get more love on here). I'm following it up with FC103.

Edited by Jfletchgu

I went over to my parents house today, and my dad completely surprised me with a whiskey that he purchased. My dad normally buys very cheap liquor, it could be whiskey, vodka, rum, tequila, etc - anything that can make him tipsy at a cheap price. He doesn't really care. For the past few weeks I've been giving him taste tests of whiskey that I really enjoy, like Stagg Jr, wild turkey and other BT products and he has seemed to gain an appreciation for them.

Fast forward to today and my dad busts out some Elijah Craig to celebrate some accomplishments in our family, what a shock to see him buy that! I think I might be converting him slowly lol. IMG_20180526_141524.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Started the night with a Bakers 50ml I found for 2 bucks (I like it. Not sure why it doesn't get more love on here). I'm following it up with FC103.

Bakers is a winner. It's a bit steep for a 7 year old compared to ER10, HM10, EWSB, etc., particularly in Georgia for some reason. That said, it has a higher proof, still carries an age statement, and being batched it has a much more consistent profile. So many good bourbons to buy and drink, but I agree Bakers tends to fly under the radar.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.