What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

EC SmBBP, Michters 10, WT Diamond, Johnny Drum, JB Triticale, IW Harper... plus RR 6yr Rye and Laphroiag 10

IMAG1304 (2).jpg

Edited by FriendlyEdgar
  • I like it 6

3 hours ago, FriendlyEdgar said:

EC SmBBP, Michters 10, WT Diamond, Johnny Drum, JB Triticale, IW Harper... plus RR 6yr Rye and Laphroiag 10

IMAG1304 (2).jpg

Nice day hunting!

My buddy went to NY and grabbed these for me! King’s Co Straight Bourbon and Barrel Strength. Can’t wait to try them. cae15f0ab5729485a6e2934c93c5b821.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

So as I was waiting to pick up my brother from the train station I stumbled into one of the larger chain stores here and just before I was about to leave I noticed that they priced Old Pogue Masters for $45 I haven't had it before and never really intended to after the price hike but figured at that price what the hell and grabbed one for a friend as well. As I was brining them up to the counter I noticed they dropped the price on a couple of the JB Signature Craft releases so I grabbed them too, when they started ringing them up they couldn't figure out why nothing was in their system. I told them the prices marked and offered to grab the tags but the girl said she needed to speak to the manager so I waited for them to huddle up and figured that they realized there was a problem with the price as marked. The manager came out and rang up the bottles I didn't think much of  the price since they clearly didn't ring them up for the $80-$100 I have seen them at in the past, but low and behold when I got home.

y4mZP1cCxKs8RNIYaGg-LWZ_d75b1H-peh7Og8rl

• I like it 4

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

So as I was waiting to pick up my brother from the train station I stumbled into one of the larger chain stores here and just before I was about to leave I noticed that they priced Old Pogue Masters for $45 I haven't had it before and never really intended to after the price hike but figured at that price what the hell and grabbed one for a friend as well. As I was brining them up to the counter I noticed they dropped the price on a couple of the JB Signature Craft releases so I grabbed them too, when they started ringing them up they couldn't figure out why nothing was in their system. I told them the prices marked and offered to grab the tags but the girl said she needed to speak to the manager so I waited for them to huddle up and figured that they realized there was a problem with the price as marked. The manager came out and rang up the bottles I didn't think much of  the price since they clearly didn't ring them up for the $80-$100 I have seen them at in the past, but low and behold when I got home.

y4mZP1cCxKs8RNIYaGg-LWZ_d75b1H-peh7Og8rl

Great price.. congrats!! Theyve been trying to get $125 near me. I saw it cheaper at LB and like you thought it was a mistake. Wasnt too interested even at the lower price but Id love to hear what you think. Hate it for pogue but >$100 is ridiculous if you think about it. 

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Great price.. congrats!! Theyve been trying to get $125 near me. I saw it cheaper at LB and like you thought it was a mistake. Wasnt too interested even at the lower price but Id love to hear what you think. Hate it for pogue but >$100 is ridiculous if you think about it. 

Well I cracked it right after taking the picture because what's one more open bottle in a sea of so many, for me it is on the sweeter end of the spectrum plenty of baking spices and a hint of HH nuttiness and while there isn't much of a burn it is full bodied for the proof.  Looking forward to spending more time with it but right now it is definitely a winner sub $60. If I had to match the flavor profile the first thing that comes to mind is that it tastes like a blend of Blanton's and what I imagine a 7-8 year HH wheater would taste like (somewhere between Old Fitz and RY 10).

Edited by kevinbrink

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Well I cracked it right after taking the picture because what's one more open bottle in a sea of so many, for me it is on the sweeter end of the spectrum plenty of baking spices and a hint of HH nuttiness and while there isn't much of a burn it is full bodied for the proof.  Looking forward to spending more time with it but right now it is definitely a winner sub $60. If I had to match the flavor profile the first thing that comes to mind is that it tastes like a blend of Blanton's and what I imagine a 7-8 year HH wheater would taste like (somewhere between Old Fitz and RY 10).

Good to know..just seems like too much other good stuff out there to try before i spend a bunch on this. If it comes down to what you found it for then i’ll definitely buy one.

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Good to know..just seems like too much other good stuff out there to try before i spend a bunch on this. If it comes down to what you found it for then i’ll definitely buy one.

I would say that is the right move, I wouldn't pay the price asked now, as an aside I'm chasing it with another overpriced yet smaller bottle in Bond & Lillard, which I am also enjoying (probably a smidge more). This one was even more well priced since my brother and sister and law gifted it to me ;)

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

Doing some touring and picked this up at the gift shop.

image.jpg

FRSB is always a solid pick up.  I was in the Summit City for a few days earlier in the week. I stopped in Belmont on Dupont looking for some ECBP but struck out.  I didn't have much time to search other stores.  Maybe next time.

I ended a purchasing drought today by picking up a 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel at Crown Liquors.  While I am not a fan of standard 1792, I really like 1792 Single Barrel and Full Proof. 

• I like it 1

Finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Pikesville rye, as well as a bottle of Old Bardstown and an FC 103 yesterday.

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I ended a purchasing drought today by picking up a 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel at Crown Liquors.  While I am not a fan of standard 1792, I really like 1792 Single Barrel and Full Proof. 

Have you stumbled on the BiB yet?  SB & FP are favorites too, but BiB really balances out and is the best of the three IMHO.  Then there'll be the 12yr out there somewhere...

1 hour ago, PowderKeg said:

Have you stumbled on the BiB yet?  SB & FP are favorites too, but BiB really balances out and is the best of the three IMHO.  Then there'll be the 12yr out there somewhere...

1792 12-year?    I'm IN!!!!    Never heard of it so far; but, I bet it's stellar!    Where can I get it?????

20 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

FRSB is always a solid pick up.  I was in the Summit City for a few days earlier in the week. I stopped in Belmont on Dupont looking for some ECBP but struck out.  I didn't have much time to search other stores.  Maybe next time.

Fort Wayne is always worth a look. That DuPont store is a good one.

6 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

I haven't seen the BIB but it will be on my buy list when I see it.  I always proof the FP down to around 100 anyway.  

This was almost officially in the bourbon I passed up, but just couldn’t pass them up. Sounds like these will be cool things to share and talk about. Maybe some of my fellow Michiganders will like. $99.99 for the MWND and $46.99 for the OKI.

9D9FBDC0-02D2-4F33-A6C6-CD9AA1F5BF39.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

1792 12-year?    I'm IN!!!!    Never heard of it so far; but, I bet it's stellar!    Where can I get it?????

The label's been approved, just waiting for a release notice, sometime this yr supposedly.

• I like it 1

While out and about over the weekend, I managed to pick up a couple of bottles. One was a ps KCSB.  I had accumulated some coupons that amounted to $10.00 off, so after tax, title and license, the KCSB cost me a grand total of $31.64. I also grabbed another bottle of ER ($29.99) for the bunker. It was a pretty good weekend. :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 3/26/2018 at 2:00 PM, PowderKeg said:

How would you compare the 1792 BiB to Very Old Barton BiB? I had the former in my hands a couple weeks ago, but ultimately decided to pass. With VOB BiB around $15 and both being NAS, I figured I'd pocket the $39 for a future buy. Wondering if I made a mistake...

Hadn't shopped the east side of town since November.  Back then, I found a couple of stashes of SAOS SiB and some good PS bottles.  Returned today and found one store still had 5 bottles of SAOS SiB 10 yr on the shelf.  I left more than I bought for karma's sake...   $57.99 + tax.

Also still had plenty of 13 and 14 yr KC SiB PS, 1792 FP PS, and some iteration of Jefferson's PS.  I'm stocked on the KC and 1792, and not interested in the Jefferson's. 

• I like it 1

2nd bottle out of this Belle Meade barrel for me. Love the depth of flavor. 10 years, 100.7 proof. Also snagged a 9 year BT store pick. 

CC63380A-9264-40EF-B1B8-91E2B5CCF997.jpeg

• I like it 1

I have not been impressed with Texas bourbons in general, but I have heard good things about this sourced “Texas” bourbon and decided to pick up a bottle and see for myself2af2ec7ecec453993637b19a545a4140.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, fanostra said:

How would you compare the 1792 BiB to Very Old Barton BiB? I had the former in my hands a couple weeks ago, but ultimately decided to pass. With VOB BiB around $15 and both being NAS, I figured I'd pocket the $39 for a future buy. Wondering if I made a mistake...

It's better than VOB BIB..but not twice as good. It's missing a bit of that fruitines, too. I don't think you made a mistake unless you really wanna scratch an itch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.