What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

^^^^^It's a PS of a standard single barrel.  It's a very common practice around here for stores to buy a barrel and put their own labels on, and some can definitely be better than the average 4RSB's on the shelf. 

Whether your particular store tasted samples, and actually selected this barrel prior to purchase, is the remaining question. 

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^It's a PS of a standard single barrel.  It's a very common practice around here for stores to buy a barrel and put their own labels on, and some can definitely be better than the average 4RSB's on the shelf. 

Whether your particular store tasted samples, and actually selected this barrel prior to purchase, is the remaining question. 

Nailed it.  Just found this in a Bourbon Review article:

...It’s much the same at Four Roses, which has two programs: the 100 Proof Program, in which customers choose from five barrels of the OBSV recipe, and the Barrel Proof Program, which lets customers select their favorite barrel from all 10 individual recipes, to be bottled at barrel strength.

http://www.gobourbon.com/private-selection-barrel-programs/

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

WTF?  Yes, please.  X3

I asked if there was a discount for buying by the case, but no, they couldn't do that...

20180329_153519-2241x3984.jpg

Hmmm,  last week's diet vs. opportunity, looks like Kentucky won this round. Nice score!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Its been a while since I have had VOB BIB as well.  I understand they have the same mashbill but this discussion has me wondering about age, barrel selection, etc. between the two brands.  I recall liking VOB BIB.  I don't really like standard 1792 but really like 1792 Single Sarrel at 98.6 proof and 1792 Full Proof which I proof down to 100 anyway.  I can typically find 1792 Single Barrel for around $30.  I haven't looked for VOB BIB but when it was NAS last time I saw it.  The price was around $15.  I personally prefer 1792 Single Barrel even at $15 more.  The market in the Indy area is such that at much more than $30, I would consider other options anyway.  

Even no longer age stated, I think the current VOBBIB is really nice. Widely available in Kentucky and I did see it in Chicago, though more expensive. I paid 13.99 in Kentucky. Great for the price. It's become my favorite low priced bourbon hands down.

Well I decided to do a little hunting today on my day off, would have passed on the Distillers cut but it was only $18.99 so I bought two, the Campfire was mostly a cost based decision as well as it was a little over $40 which was the lowest I've seen it locally, I dig higher proof JD so 49% had me hook line and sinker.

y4mXBB36oLkwg_plcScIqqXrGCBMYdME0LAo6HT7

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 2

21 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I'm really not happy with myself right now. 

IMG_4738.JPG

Let me know how you like the RY10. My LS is getting it in a few weeks. 

Wife said she was in the mood for some mint juleps, so the only thing I bought was just regular Buffalo Trace.  

WA107 @ $23.99 and WTRB (old label) 116.8pf @ $38.99 OTD.  I'm so weak . . . . . .  :(

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I'm really not happy with myself right now. 

IMG_4738.JPG

Not happy because didn't buy more, huh?

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

It's been a good Good Friday so far!

20180330_095124-1612x1209.jpg

What's the clear plastic bottle in the background?  :lol:

• I like it 1

Scooped up a 750 of Weller 12-year this afternoon.     Needed to be able to make some more SB Blend.    Mission accomplished.  :)

• I like it 1

Picked up a spare bottle of CEHT small batch, which I promptly opened upon arriving back at home and enjoying a pour. 

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Not happy because didn't buy more, huh?

I kid you not after buying and posting that picture I get the following texts on my way home:

"Have u been ordering more whiskey and bourbon??"

"The cabinet is FULL. :angry:"

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, CUfan99 said:

I kid you not after buying and posting that picture I get the following texts on my way home:

"Have u been ordering more whiskey and bourbon??"

"The cabinet is FULL. :angry:"

:o None of us has ever heard that before!  Next time, try to diffuse the anger by telling her "Hey babe, I was at the strip club and heard the local LS just got in a shipment of ECBP and RY10. I knew you wouldn't want me to be disappointed by missing out"  It works every time....:lol:

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Man cannot live on bourbon alone.

23 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Man cannot live on bourbon alone.

Are you saying that's p----y in a bottle!  :lol:  And, I thought it was just water.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Looks like Everclear to me:D.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Are you saying that's p----y in a bottle!  :lol:  And, I thought it was just water.

Wait..they BOTTLE it??! :blink:

Hadnt bought anything in weeks, but over the last couple days got an ER store pic from Binnys & lotsa Founders KBS. Binnys finally got their ER & Blantons pics, 4 different ER barrels spread across the chain, not sure about the Blantons (passed on Blantons cause dont think its worth $70). Of course the KBS is a must-have favorite, & now I can start opening my 2017 KBS bottles that have cellared for a year!

Oh, & digressing even more from bourbon, did anyone get to try the Goose Island Islay Stout? Its same juice as their Bourbon County Stout but aged in Ardbeg barrels. Its very good!

Scored this..... hard to find in my parts. 4764ccf09abd56e4bccbbc25cc5992b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Bulleit, for my son's girlfriends Easter basket. No wonder that girl likes us....

2 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Hadnt bought anything in weeks, but over the last couple days got an ER store pic from Binnys & lotsa Founders KBS. Binnys finally got their ER & Blantons pics, 4 different ER barrels spread across the chain, not sure about the Blantons (passed on Blantons cause dont think its worth $70). Of course the KBS is a must-have favorite, & now I can start opening my 2017 KBS bottles that have cellared for a year!

Oh, & digressing even more from bourbon, did anyone get to try the Goose Island Islay Stout? Its same juice as their Bourbon County Stout but aged in Ardbeg barrels. Its very good!

Speaking of good Barrel aged beers, I just picked up a 4 pack of Ballast Point Victory at Sea aged in High West bourbon and rye barrels. Had this last weekend at a restaurant and it’s good stuff. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.