What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, fanostra said:

How would you compare the 1792 BiB to Very Old Barton BiB? I had the former in my hands a couple weeks ago, but ultimately decided to pass. With VOB BiB around $15 and both being NAS, I figured I'd pocket the $39 for a future buy. Wondering if I made a mistake...

Been awhile since I had any VOB BiB - brought a bottle back from KY but haven't cracked it yet.  WIR is that the VOB didn't give me any big wow factor - not that it wasn't good, just not overly memorable.  The 1792 BiB is the reverse - my personal favorite 1792 so far (other than the original 8yr RR).   The couple I picked up in Memphis ran $40 per, which is my expectation for 1792-other-than-SmB, and maybe another $5 for a ps.  Any more than that and I start questioning the value relative to others (and to what is already bunkered), so if you're saying the 1792 was @ $55 to the $15 VOB, well I'da been hard pondering the cost/benefit too...

• I like it 1

I came across a bottle of Eagle Rare for a good price ($32 + tax) while out of town - so i bought it.  ER is getting hard to find nearby these days.

• I like it 1

WTKS  LS pick, my first KS, I bought it for the bottle and figured I would go store pick while I was at it. The bottle will become a decanter when its empty. This store has had some nice picks in the past so hoping the streak continues. LOVE WT so I'm glad to have finally added one of these.

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

My biggest haul ever.

image.jpg

Nice bang for your buck!  Good work.

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

My biggest haul ever.

Kentucky,  and or ?????? ;)

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Kentucky,  and or ?????? ;)

Biba! Joe

Lol! All Kentucky.

Edited by cdcdguy
  • I like it 1

14 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Lol! All Kentucky.

I figured as much, but I had to ask. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Finally made up my mind on something new and went for the Old Forester 1920.  I have had just a wee bit twice and am starting to form an opinion.  I think it's going to be a good opinion too !

• I like it 2

For me the 1920 is a higher-priced choice. However I must say it' s worth it. An excellent drink.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

My biggest haul ever.

image.jpg

Not sure if you have had it before but OF sig is a great choice for a daily. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

I have and found it to be reminiscent of Mckenna10.  This OF 1920 is the best I have had from Brown Foreman.

• I like it 2

I had a little time yesterday to visit some LS's I've never been in. The plan was to find something new, but when I saw an ER 10 for $31 I had to snag it. $50 is typical these days. :wacko:

• I like it 1

WTF?  Yes, please.  X3

I asked if there was a discount for buying by the case, but no, they couldn't do that...

20180329_153519-2241x3984.jpg

• I like it 3

Is that a PS at 100 pf? Or a regular barrel that they put a store sticker on with the age. I’m a little confused. Great price regardless. 

• I like it 1

There is some mystery to it, and I don't think answers will be easy to come by.  The LS is part of a Grocery conglomo, and they essentially have a cashier manning the register in the store.  There is a "manager", but its more of a Head Cashier job.  Corporate makes the decisions...  The employees don't know the biz much, as I've gotten all kinds of deals there.  ECPB for $25 once (they didn't know the price, not in the computer, and the 3 calls they made didn't answer the phone).

It is the standard recipe for single barrel, and I'd heard somewhere that PS were going towards 100 proof at some point.  It is a PS though, labeled on the bottles and boxes.  And the PS details label matches others, so not done by the store.

I didn't think that 4R would play games with their PS program by just slapping a PS label on a normal SiB bottle.  In fact, I'd heard the opposite- that 4R was requiring PS barrels to be chosen on site.  No sending samples, no "distillery stand-in" picking, etc.  

Regardless, it's a very good pour.  I'd bought these previously at a little higher price.  Even if it was just a regular SiB (not PS), I like the price.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I had a little time yesterday to visit some LS's I've never been in. The plan was to find something new, but when I saw an ER 10 for $31 I had to snag it. $50 is typical these days. :wacko:

I just passed on it at $29.99. It's been showing up pretty regularly lately.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Mako254 said:

I have, but it's not often available here. And I only saw one bottle while on the Kentucky trip. My friend bought it.

• I like it 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:48 AM, PowderKeg said:

Been awhile since I had any VOB BiB - brought a bottle back from KY but haven't cracked it yet.  WIR is that the VOB didn't give me any big wow factor - not that it wasn't good, just not overly memorable.  The 1792 BiB is the reverse - my personal favorite 1792 so far (other than the original 8yr RR).   The couple I picked up in Memphis ran $40 per, which is my expectation for 1792-other-than-SmB, and maybe another $5 for a ps.  Any more than that and I start questioning the value relative to others (and to what is already bunkered), so if you're saying the 1792 was @ $55 to the $15 VOB, well I'da been hard pondering the cost/benefit too...

Its been a while since I have had VOB BIB as well.  I understand they have the same mashbill but this discussion has me wondering about age, barrel selection, etc. between the two brands.  I recall liking VOB BIB.  I don't really like standard 1792 but really like 1792 Single Sarrel at 98.6 proof and 1792 Full Proof which I proof down to 100 anyway.  I can typically find 1792 Single Barrel for around $30.  I haven't looked for VOB BIB but when it was NAS last time I saw it.  The price was around $15.  I personally prefer 1792 Single Barrel even at $15 more.  The market in the Indy area is such that at much more than $30, I would consider other options anyway.  

• I like it 1

3 bottles of Weller from 3 different LSs, 3 different stories. 

1. I showed up within an hour of their shipment and the owner which is cool with me allowed me to buy one Weller 12 that just came in.

2. I was on a list for Weller and I got a call asking if I wanted Weller SR or 12. I said 12!

3. I went to another LS I frequent and my guy asked me if I wanted some Weller OWA. I said yes sir! He went in the back and grabbed a bottle for me.

Weller 12 - Both at $34.99

Weller OWA: $24.99

All 3 for around $100.00. I’m having a great of day! Cheers!

9B5A7ECD-2842-4BB6-99DF-85B13214B60A.jpeg

Edited by Adam777
  • I like it 6

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

There is some mystery to it, and I don't think answers will be easy to come by.  The LS is part of a Grocery conglomo, and they essentially have a cashier manning the register in the store.  There is a "manager", but its more of a Head Cashier job.  Corporate makes the decisions...  The employees don't know the biz much, as I've gotten all kinds of deals there.  ECPB for $25 once (they didn't know the price, not in the computer, and the 3 calls they made didn't answer the phone).

It is the standard recipe for single barrel, and I'd heard somewhere that PS were going towards 100 proof at some point.  It is a PS though, labeled on the bottles and boxes.  And the PS details label matches others, so not done by the store.

I didn't think that 4R would play games with their PS program by just slapping a PS label on a normal SiB bottle.  In fact, I'd heard the opposite- that 4R was requiring PS barrels to be chosen on site.  No sending samples, no "distillery stand-in" picking, etc.  

Regardless, it's a very good pour.  I'd bought these previously at a little higher price.  Even if it was just a regular SiB (not PS), I like the price.

I know Meijer in the Indy-area had a store labelled single barrel FR several years ago.  I am not sure what role the store chain played in the selection.  My guess is FR provided the selection, which is fine.  The key is (1) a barrel that is favorable, (2) traceable to a single retailer, and (3) at a good price.  I have purchased several different grocery store labelled barrels of FR over the years that I have enjoyed.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

3 bottles of Weller from 3 different LSs, 3 different stories. 

1. I showed up within an hour of their shipment and the owner which is cool with me allowed me to buy one Weller 12 that just came in.

2. I was on a list for Weller and I got a call asking if I wanted Weller SR or 12. I said 12!

3. I went to another LS I frequent and my guy asked me if I wanted some Weller OWA. I said yes sir!

Weller 12 - Both at $34.99

Weller OWA: $24.99

All 3 for around $100.00. I’m having a great of day! Cheers!

9B5A7ECD-2842-4BB6-99DF-85B13214B60A.jpeg

It's almost like dollar-cost-averaging with bourbon.  $33 each for any of these would be a decent price in today's market.  Getting three just makes it that much better.

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I'd be pretty surprised if they started bottling all store picks at 100 proof. As far as I know, the only recipe that can be bottled at 100 proof for a store pick is the OBSV but it's possible my info is out of date.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Spade said:

I'd be pretty surprised if they started bottling all store picks at 100 proof. As far as I know, the only recipe that can be bottled at 100 proof for a store pick is the OBSV but it's possible my info is out of date.

I'm curious enough that I sent a message to 4R thru their website.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.