What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I rolled out my Visa card for a bottle of ECBP C917 this morning. Usually, most of my purchases are in the realm of real world bourbon between $20 to $45 for a 750 if the bottle is special. I think the last time I bought a 750 over $50 was a bottle of Booker's more than a year ago. Today I fell into the clutches of unicorn mania when the guy at LS brought out a a B and the aforementioned C917. Poured out of a freshly opened bottle, the whiskey is like EC turned up to 13 on a scale of 10. Highly Recommended!

Congrats on an awesome purchase. You can justify the price based on the higher proof and how much longer it will last. That batch is around 130 proof and most bottles around 90. 20% (40proof) more alcohol makes this an awesome buy. At least that’s how I justify my purchases????

• I like it 1

Well making up for quite a bit of lost time. The founders ipa was on clearance for $4 a six pack and I had an inkling to try an aged rum. Was very happy to bump into the Weller 12. The kbs I haven’t seen in a while and was $22.50 for the 4 pack which seems to be the going rate I guess. And who doesn’t need an extra hmck10 around!!
9a683d64cc75a1540dc28c67fbcb2dbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Well making up for quite a bit of lost time. The founders ipa was on clearance for $4 a six pack and I had an inkling to try an aged rum. Was very happy to bump into the Weller 12. The kbs I haven’t seen in a while and was $22.50 for the 4 pack which seems to be the going rate I guess. And who doesn’t need an extra hmck10 around!!

Nice haul - we need to talk!    :D

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Nice haul - we need to talk!    :D

Don't do it GP. It's a trap!  :o

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Picked up my first bottle of Eagle Rare and an Early Times BiB today. Love the ER. It’s awesome. As I was pulling into the LS, Hank Williams Jr “Whiskey Bent and Hellbound” was on the radio....fitting! 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Not today, but I did go on a 40 day grab (ok, so not everyday) as I had given up bourbon for Lent; these were the pickups for my dry spell...

Prices were decent for all...

Blantons  $60

CEHT      $55

Bulleit     $54

KC          $42

Mellow    $17

The 4 Roses was given to me by my Wife for Easter, but was reclaimed by her after tasting (some gift, huh?) I do admit it's pretty dang tasty. My Son & his Wife helped put the dent in it.

40.thumb.jpg.de60c1117ef4327fd8d881fb730b82a4.jpg

And yet, I am still jealous of the Weller 12 & Antique that are just pictures on the forum, to me...

I'm probably a very small minority here, but I would gladly take that EH Taylor and Blanton's over the Weller stuff any day.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

I'm probably a very small minority here, but I would gladly take that EH Taylor and Blanton's over the Weller stuff any day.

I don't know that I would take them OVER the Wellers. I'd rather have them in addition to. The other side of the same coin.

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I don't know that I would take them OVER the Wellers. I'd rather have them in addition to. The other side of the same coin.

It's my palette, the Wellers taste like varnish to me...not good.  The only wheaters I have found pleasant on the palette are the pappys and William Larue Weller.

8 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Not today, but I did go on a 40 day grab (ok, so not everyday) as I had given up bourbon for Lent; these were the pickups for my dry spell...

Blantons  $60

CEHT      $55

Bulleit     $54

KC          $42

Mellow    $17

The 4 Roses was given to me by my Wife for Easter, but was reclaimed by her after tasting (some gift, huh?) I do admit it's pretty dang tasty. My Son & his Wife helped put the dent in it.

And yet, I am still jealous of the Weller 12 & Antique that are just pictures on the forum, to me...

SO!  You got that 4RSiB last Sunday - two days ago.  AND!  It's half full/empty.  SOMEbody has good taste.;)

• I like it 2

While waiting for some special orders to come in to a favorite store (WR with the Derby label for use at a Derby Day thingee, a KC25th Anniversary, and a Jefferson's Ocean #15 which is a wheated I just HAD to have - all due in before 15 April), I decided to search for some JB Distiller's Cut (not Devil's Cut) which has started showing up here.  Picked up "several" @ $21 plus tax.

20 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

SO!  You got that 4RSiB last Sunday - two days ago.  AND!  It's half full/empty.  SOMEbody has good taste.;)

You mean, somebody tasted it GOOD!!!

• I like it 1

Took a road trip with the wife and kid (and some friends with their kids) down to Orlando - Lego land. Made 7-8 LS stops and found this: I'm happy with the haul.

K4m4U2M.jpg

eqc1hjQ.jpg

ZiI3uzM.jpg

Got these a few weeks ago. HH6 as a gift from a friend and I bought the HWMWND locally.

805F9rC.jpg

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Nice score all around!

12 hours ago, Bourserker said:

It's my palette, the Wellers taste like varnish to me...not good.  The only wheaters I have found pleasant on the palette are the pappys and William Larue Weller.

You do understand why this comment doesn't make a lot of sense to most of us, right?

• I like it 6

20 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Blantons  $60

CEHT      $55

Bulleit     $54

KC          $42

Mellow    $17

Bayou,

there are three bottles in youe line up I’ll take over antique just about every time. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Bourserker said:

I know this is probably blasphemy, but I'm in that minority as well. I think overall, the wheated* mash bill or more specifically Weller (WLW, OWA, W12, WSR), is the worst one Buffalo Trace makes. I'll take #1 (GTS, Stagg JR, CEHT, ER10, BT, in that order), #2 (ETL, Blanton's), then something from Four Roses or any number of other distilleries over BT wheaters. 

* The only Pappy I've had is the 10 year, which I thought was good but not particularly special/worth the hype. On the same level as Old Fitz 12 or Rebel Yell 10, both of which I think are rather good too, but would never pay $400 for.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

While waiting for some special orders to come in to a favorite store (WR with the Derby label for use at a Derby Day thingee, a KC25th Anniversary, and a Jefferson's Ocean #15 which is a wheated I just HAD to have - all due in before 15 April), I decided to search for some JB Distiller's Cut (not Devil's Cut) which has started showing up here.  Picked up "several" @ $21 plus tax.

Do you mind me asking how much the Jefferson’s Ocean Wheated was? I’ve been curious about that one and might pick it up. 

43 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

I know this is probably blasphemy, but I'm in that minority as well. I think overall, the wheated* mash bill or more specifically Weller (WLW, OWA, W12, WSR), is the worst one Buffalo Trace makes. I'll take #1 (GTS, Stagg JR, CEHT, ER10, BT, in that order), #2 (ETL, Blanton's), then something from Four Roses or any number of other distilleries over BT wheaters. 

* The only Pappy I've had is the 10 year, which I thought was good but not particularly special/worth the hype. On the same level as Old Fitz 12 or Rebel Yell 10, both of which I think are rather good too, but would never pay $400 for.

I feel like the original hype regarding Weller was based upon a wheater at a good price. The states minimum in Michigan for Weller are:

WSR: $22.99

OWA: $27.99

W12: $29.99

I agree that EHT, Stagg jr and Blantons are all better than the Wellers IMO however they are all more expensive. It’s hard to compare blantons at $60 to WSR at $23. Now comparing Bernheim, Larceny and other wheater closer in price I find that the Wellers are better.  I’ll sip on Weller all day for a good price, but any price gouging doesn’t make it worth it. I’m not sure about Joes Weller blend but that is something you may be able to compare to the higher priced BT products.

• I like it 3

I am more in line to what Clueby said.

Actually, it's not what I have over what I don't. It's a little like winning the lottery. Since I haven't, I just want the chance to prove that money can't buy happiness; hence what you don't have, etc...

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

You do understand why this comment doesn't make a lot of sense to most of us, right?

Yes, I'm aware that the pappys and WLW are basically the "honey barrel" Wellers at different age points.  So it would seem that I made a strange somewhat contradictory comment, but all I can say is that they taste significantly different from each other.  WLW for example, does not taste like higher proof 12 year Weller.  This discussion was had recently about Thomas Handy and the regular Sazerac.  Although they should be the same whiskey at different proofs, they taste significantly different.

This is based on some dated info though as I haven't had any Wellers recently.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Do you mind me asking how much the Jefferson’s Ocean Wheated was? I’ve been curious about that one and might pick it up. 

Here's a shot of the official sell sheet-- I hope Trey is a better "Whiskey Maker" than he is copywriter…

54361646646__6C58EF8B-8D22-4943-A334-AE05E4D69467.thumb.jpg.44725969ee3c5d3266573bba4345819d.jpg

54361649221__3ED5E777-DECD-49BB-BE85-3A691276CCE2.thumb.jpg.002abbb936eeff1e218ff5afc8de4149.jpg

Did a little bourbon surfin' yesterday and found the first bottles of JBDC I've seen on a LR area shelf, of which one came home, so hoping I can cross this one off the list to bring back from KY in a few weeks.

I drove to 3 LS yesterday looking for something new.  I bought a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye to replace my current bottle which only has a pour or two left.

The whisky I bought that I've never had was Smooth Ambler Old Scout American Whiskey.  I've never even tried the 7 or 10 year versions, but this one is younger and different anyway I suppose.

It definitely had a sweet corn taste (moonshiney) but it wasn't harsh like moonshine.  Overall it was pleasant enough, but at $35 I would much rather have Elijah Craig or Four Roses small batch.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I feel like the original hype regarding Weller was based upon a wheater at a good price. The states minimum in Michigan for Weller are:

WSR: $22.99

OWA: $27.99

W12: $29.99

I agree that EHT, Stagg jr and Blantons are all better than the Wellers IMO however they are all more expensive. It’s hard to compare blantons at $60 to WSR at $23. Now comparing Bernheim, Larceny and other wheater closer in price I find that the Wellers are better.  I’ll sip on Weller all day for a good price, but any price gouging doesn’t make it worth it. I’m not sure about Joes Weller blend but that is something you may be able to compare to the higher priced BT products.

I couldn't agree more. Look at this Gouging in St. Louis I found yesterday. couldn't stop laughing. I bet its been sitting there for a while too.

price1.jpg.d5dd173963aae3a5954ab4bdca4d8fe9.jpgprice2.jpg.c41873016915af8b7585ac8d58338b99.jpg

• I like it 1

Last bottle on the shelf. This is from a shop that I browse regularly but buy from rarely. Inventory check showed this was the last bottle, so I was a taker.  

MGP= G O O D

51F29818-6865-41A8-B136-A1B992A0C3F3.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.