What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, mikeydk said:

I almost pulled the trigger on the Tabasco finish.  I imagine at some point I might purchase one, just to see if I could make a serviceable bloody mary out of it.  Today was not the day.  The bottling is damned cute though.  Excellent brand representation here.  

IMG_2012.jpg

I'm...confused. Anybody tasted this? What is this supposed to be anyway?

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'm...confused. Anybody tasted this? What is this supposed to be anyway?

Not whisky with or without the e, only 70 prof with distilled Tabasco added in. My guess is stunt bar shots and cocktails are it's most likely consumer applications.... 

^^^^I guess it's for folks that are too lazy to add their own (to a proper whiskey).

^^^^I guess it's for folks that are too lazy to add their own (to a proper whiskey).

I think it’s slightly more elaborate than that. Tabasco sauce is made by fermenting a Tabasco pepper mash in old Jack Daniels barrels with salt and vinegar. These barrels are then used to barrel finish Dickel whiskey to make a barrel finished whiskey.

The problem is I think it’s than diluted to 70 proof and they add various flavorings. I’d be interested in trying a Tabasco barrel finished whiskey that wasn’t diluted and where they didn’t put any additives. Also find it I guess ironic to see Dickel whiskey barrel finished in JD barrels.
  • I like it 1

^^^^^So the question is...has the barrel anything left to give beyond what you'd get just adding Tobasco to a proper whiskey?  I'd (just for fun) argue that the Tobasco already took everything the barrel had left to offer.

P. S. I prefer Crystal.  ????

^^^^^So the question is...has the barrel anything left to give beyond what you'd get just adding Tobasco to a proper whiskey? 

I have no idea but it seems like a fun experiment to find out. I’d like to give this a try, pretty sure I’ll hate it though. I think your argument could probably be made for any whiskey finished in a port barrel as well. Why not just add port to some whiskey.
  • I like it 1

Passed up Holland's Ghost for £100. 

£100 for a 1.5 year whiskey... madness. 

P. S. I prefer Crystal.  ????

I always keep a bottle at my desk.

IMG_4701.JPG

1 hour ago, mfly86 said:

Passed up on an ECBP for $75. Miss the days this was $40-50

Me too. I stocked up at $45-$50 and now I only see it for $70+.

What is going on here with Total Wine? Are they adding their own stickers to regular KCSB bottles so that they can charge $10 more?

56C795BC-4C1E-4B96-9ACD-F35DF22DBC91.jpeg

11 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

What is going on here with Total Wine? Are they adding their own stickers to regular KCSB bottles so that they can charge $10 more?

I would hope that was a store pick, but I’ve only ever seen the metal tag. You can likely contact Beam and ask if total wine recently had a pick. 

18 minutes ago, KyleCBreese said:

What does the Spirits Direct shelf talker say?

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

LOL

On 5/31/2018 at 6:04 PM, smokinjoe said:

We don't want to know!

• I like it 2

On 5/31/2018 at 6:04 PM, smokinjoe said:

It probably says quadruple gold medal with a dash of platinum winner at the Hogwarts Academy Spirits Competition.  

• I like it 4

EC18, $250, several Woodford batch proof from 120-150...

EC18, $250, several Woodford batch proof from 120-150...

That's a little high for the EC18, but that's actually the going retail price range (depending on where you live) for the Woodford MC Batch Proof.

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That's a little high for the EC18, but that's actually the going retail price range (depending on where you live) for the Woodford MC Batch Proof.

120-130 is reasonable around me, 150 decidedly high... but I've already got one so I passed on the one @120 I saw... luckily(!!) it turns out, based on how my day went a few hours later! (see "what did you buy today?")

On May 30, 2018 at 3:03 PM, mikeydk said:

I almost pulled the trigger on the Tabasco finish.  I imagine at some point I might purchase one, just to see if I could make a serviceable bloody mary out of it.  Today was not the day.  The bottling is damned cute though.  Excellent brand representation here.  

We took a "family" drive out of town yesterday. On the way home, I stopped at a store I don't get to very often. The had GD 12, GD 8, GD Barrel Select, GD White Corn Whikey and the Tobasco Finish all lined up on the shelf. The only thing missing was the GD Rye. I passed on 'em all. 

Biba! Joe

Woodford Reserve Batch Proof at $120.  $120 and no age statement?  Easy pass...

I was at Total Wine standing in the bourbon isle with a few people when the manager came out with a few bottles of ECBP B518. I passed since I already have one, and they were gone in a blink of an eye! Got to talking with another customer and we started sharing tips. He told me about a LS right down the street from my house that I didn't even know about! Its a small store but he found Weller 12 there, etc. I went over there on the way home and found one bottle of ECBP C917 behind more B518s and bought it! I couldn't believe the selection this hole in the wall place had! All things work for the good!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.