What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Spring 2018)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It took a lot of willpower, but somehow I found it in me to pass up Pappy’s 23 for $19,999.99. 

14905613-4427-4C34-848C-AE17EFD45833.jpeg

On 5/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, smokinjoe said:

What does the Spirits Direct shelf talker say?

Is that anything like a whiskey whisperer? 

It took a lot of willpower, but somehow I found it in me to pass up Pappy’s 23 for $19,999.99. 

14905613-4427-4C34-848C-AE17EFD45833.thumb.jpeg.02a7835353d431397f54ed4a36461442.jpeg

I believe that's actually the 25yo, but your point is still valid.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Twenty Grand for it????   How many do you get for that price?   ...50-cases????    I don't care if it is older than my Grandkids.....

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

You’re right, I apologize. I would certainly like to Bank the man who is willing to spend $20K on a bottle of bourbon. I can’t imagine having that type of wealth. 

4 minutes ago, Statesboro Blues said:

You’re right, I apologize. I would certainly like to Bank the man who is willing to spend $20K on a bottle of bourbon. I can’t imagine having that type of wealth. 

For a billionaire, that would be the equivalent of you and me buying a bottle of WT101.  So, sadly, it will probably sell at that price and the madness goes on...

For a billionaire, that would be the equivalent of you and me buying a bottle of WT101.  So, sadly, it will probably sell at that price and the madness goes on...

The highest sale price that I've heard of for the 25yo was $14-$15,000, which is still insane, but there were so few bottles and the MSRP was actually $1,800, so ridiculous secondary pricing should be expected for those that can afford it or are crazy enough to spend that kind of money on bourbon. The MSRP was way out of my league, whether I could afford it or not...I won't spend that kind of coin on any consumable item.
  • I like it 1

Redemption 18 y.o. The Ancients barrel proof rye for $350 on K&L's web site.  They had 4 bottles actually available for sale.  I came back fifteen minutes later to look at it again and it was sold out.   They said only 600 bottles were made so maybe I should have grabbed it to flip or trade?

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

so maybe I should have grabbed it to flip or trade?

Don't mention this kind of thing, even if kidding. It's not looked on kindly here.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Don't mention this kind of thing, even if kidding. It's not looked on kindly here.

Oooh, so sorry!  Didn't realize I was treading on forbidden ground.  I've never done it nor do I have a desire to but it does seem to be a part of the bourbon chase world. 

3 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Oooh, so sorry!  Didn't realize I was treading on forbidden ground.  I've never done it nor do I have a desire to but it does seem to be a part of the bourbon chase world. 

It’s very much a part of the bourbon chase world for sure. And, some people here participate in it. 

BUT, we don’t openly talk about it because it’s illegal. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a Rhetoric 24 for $129.99.  Will I regret that?  Haven't ever tried it and am curious what others think.

JD Sinatra Select. Anyone know anything  about this? I’ve never heard of it or seen it before.B3C8888F-ABAA-472D-BCAC-00B4655D1923.thumb.jpeg.45c5e8b81feb00d8b2056a9cc767f723.jpeg

Edited by BigSkyDrams

Probably gonna regret this one

enhance

I don’t think you’ll regret it at all for the price. I bought a bunch of 375ml bottles of the 6 year age stated 86 proof a few years ago, and for the money it’s pretty good stuff. Your 90 proof bottle should be even better.

26 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I don’t think you’ll regret it at all for the price. I bought a bunch of 375ml bottles of the 6 year age stated 86 proof a few years ago, and for the money it’s pretty good stuff. Your 90 proof bottle should be even better.

J.. I left it on the shelf.. thats what I think im gonna regret. I think if its lasted this long it may still be there when i go back though. I believe this was 22$ but it was my first stop in new territory, i was certain i’d find better opportunities but i didnt.  

J.. I left it on the shelf.. thats what I think im gonna regret. I think if its lasted this long it may still be there when i go back though. I believe this was 22$ but it was my first stop in new territory, i was certain i’d find better opportunities but i didnt.  

If that was $22 for a 1.75L bottle, that’s a good price for a decent, every day sort of drinker and mixer. If that was the price on a 750ml, I’d pass...so many better options in that price range. I think I paid less than $6 each for the 375ml flasks of 86 proof that I bought. I’m not as big a fan of the NAS version they are putting out these days...I didn’t even finish the sample they gave me at the end of the Barton tour last year.

4 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

JD Sinatra Select. Anyone know anything  about this? I’ve never heard of it or seen it before.B3C8888F-ABAA-472D-BCAC-00B4655D1923.thumb.jpeg.45c5e8b81feb00d8b2056a9cc767f723.jpeg

That's a pretty good price for Sinatra.  MSRP is 170ish.  Offered at a tasting with Jeff Arnett (master distiller) recently for 150, with limited quantity.  

As for taste, I'm not a huge JD fan.  I find the various iterations drinkable, with the Sinatra a little more interesting than the No7, G Jack, Single Barrel.  It pales in comparison to the SiB BP, though- the true star in their lineup.   Imo, Sinatra is not special enough for the price.

26 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

That's a pretty good price for Sinatra.  MSRP is 170ish.  Offered at a tasting with Jeff Arnett (master distiller) recently for 150, with limited quantity.  

As for taste, I'm not a huge JD fan.  I find the various iterations drinkable, with the Sinatra a little more interesting than the No7, G Jack, Single Barrel.  It pales in comparison to the SiB BP, though- the true star in their lineup.   Imo, Sinatra is not special enough for the price.

Yeah, i would have a hard time pulling the trigger on something that expensive unless I was already somewhat familiar with. Thanks for the info!

10 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

As for taste, I'm not a huge JD fan.  I find the various iterations drinkable, with the Sinatra a little more interesting than the No7, G Jack, Single Barrel.  It pales in comparison to the SiB BP, though- the true star in their lineup.   Imo, (the JD) Sinatra is not special enough for the price.

What no big, fancy Sinatra box?  Now that the 100th birthday dinner is over (December, 2016?) not a lot of interest in this LE (and there's probably a lot of people who don't even know who "Ol' Blue Eyes" was).  I had the privilege (I think I was 18 at the time, but nobody asked) of playing at a crap table at The Sands in Vegas when he stepped in as a stickman.  Now THAT'S a great memory of my mis-spent youth.

And I can still get three (3) JD SiB BPs (the only Jack for me!) for close to this sale priced LE.  Just sayin' . . . . . . . 

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Passed on the WT Revival and New batch of Stagg Jr. Both well priced. The MSRP is just too high on the WT and as I have stated before, I don’t much care for the Jr. 

I did take the RHF (first time I’ve ever been able to find it) Looking forward to cracking it on Fathers day while watching World Cup Matches!

Well I didn't actually pass on them but got passed over at the VW lottery yesterday at LB here in E'town.  They had one bottle og 23, one of 20 a few 15's but mostly Lot B's and 10 y.o.  Wife and I got our wrist bands but didn't get our number called.

Passed on WSR for $50 and WA107 for $80. Probably won't be going back to that store in the future. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.