What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night at a friends watching my Cards get pounded by the Crimson Tide I ended up drowning my sorrows with a pour of RR 6 y.o. rye (an older bottle), and then followed that with a pour of OF 2016 Birthday Bourbon.  Tonight while watching Tomorrowland I decided to climb the proof ladder, starting with WTKS, followed by KC SiB #3893 and finished with 1792 SiB FP.  The KC was the clear winner.

Spreading the sour mash gospel with some cousins who are getting into bourbon. 

F8A38720-2244-47A1-B5D1-0B8C351B2F85.jpeg

• I like it 1

WT 101 for me.  I knew I was taking my 3 year old son to a family cookout with his 2 year old cousin today.  I took the seal off the cap early this afternoon.  I wanted it to be all ready when I got home.

I had a pretty fantastic weekend bourbonwise... Blanton’s and WTRB. Neat on the former, big ice sphere on the later. Both fantastic, in their own way. 

I took time for some Stagg Jr yesterday and an OWA SP this afternoon. I can't complain about the quality of the product that comes out of Frankfort, KY these days.

Now moving on to some special samples from a buddy.  Comparing some Four Roses single barrel LE's from the good old days:  2012 OESK and 2013 OBSK LE.  Although I'm a huge fan of OESK I think tonight I have to go with the 2013 due to the sublime oily mouthfeel.  Reminds me of a BTAC in that regard.  Great stuff.  

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Elijah Craig small batch tonight.  Just the shelf NAS version, but this batch is fantastic.  None of that nutty taste I sometimes find in HH liquid.

I wish I had more of this.

Loving some black cap OGD BIB this afternoon. Thanks @kevinbrink for the heads up on that. I would have passed it by. I agree it’s better than the current version and my orange cap bottle. However, my orange cap has been in sunlight too much so it’s not a fair comparison. 

• I like it 1

A really crappy, rainy day in northern Illinois is being made a little better with some VOB BIB 6yr and a Partagas Cifuentes maduro.

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2018 at 6:21 PM, LCWoody said:

Now some RHF

8E990691-7B2C-4ED6-9A30-AFCF15D6FC77.thumb.jpeg.f854e3bb5e0fd24bad1f2a0cd71569ac.jpeg

I'm thrilled to see that you have some MHC in the background there! What batch is it?

Ended up smoking some ribs and making a double batch of homemade peanut butter ice cream for a neighborhood get together.  Took a few bottles over and we sampled that same KC SiB from a couple of nights ago along with the CS KC Rye.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

I'm thrilled to see that you have some MHC in the background there! What batch is it?

Its batch #5. Very good.

• I like it 1

Oak, rye spice, burn, and a delicate kiss of mint at the end. 

Religion in a bottle!

Can I get an “Amen” from the cult?

:)

A42C1B5E-2975-421D-B481-DA1A4F729572.jpeg

Saw the bottom of a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Loch & K(e)y selection this evening. Decided it was a nice way to celebrate my purchases today.

Just opened my first ever bottle of Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond, and I must say, I am impressed.  I have had the regular Very Old Barton before, but wasn't impressed at all.  In fact, I though it was horrible.  Several people I know kept telling me that I needed to try the Bottled in Bond version if I ever saw it and I finally saw it yesterday and took a flyer because it was so inexpensive.  It is so much better than the regular Very Old Barton, that I can't even believe that they are made by the same distiller.  I had a negative bias against this bourbon before trying it, and I must say that I am very glad I gave it a chance.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.