What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 hours ago, dcbt said:

We welcomed baby girl #2 into the world on Monday, but she had to spend several days in the NICU.  All is well now, though, and she and mama come home today.  I came home last night to get a little sleep but first enjoyed some small LE pours to celebrate: PVW20, Barterhouse, Lot B, and W12.

Congratulations and great to hear that everyone is doing well now.

• I like it 1

First run at a Barrell product. 

Interesting. Got some depth to it. 

AA971502-AE17-4348-8893-87B64329E80C.jpeg

• I like it 1

I recently had my first Booker's experience. First I had a pour of 2018-1 Kathleen's Batch. It was great. A few days later I found a pour of 2017-1 Tommy's Batch. The Tommy's Batch was incredible. I hope to find more flavors like I found in Tommy's Batch as I continue along my bourbon journey. Wow was it good.

1 hour ago, foppa78 said:

I recently had my first Booker's experience. First I had a pour of 2018-1 Kathleen's Batch. It was great. A few days later I found a pour of 2017-1 Tommy's Batch. The Tommy's Batch was incredible. I hope to find more flavors like I found in Tommy's Batch as I continue along my bourbon journey. Wow was it good.

For some reason, Tommy's Batch seems to get a lot of hate.  I thought it was the best of the 2017 batches.  And, welcome to the Booker's fan club.  I'll never forget my first taste.  I was at a bar and they were out of Knob Creek so the bartender suggested Booker's.  It was my first barrel proof bourbon and it was so intense and delicious that it blew my mind.  I don't remember the batch but it was 130+ proof from before they began naming the batches. 

• I like it 1

In one of those serendipitous moments, I’m standing in front of the monger’s bourbon aisle pondering what I want to get for the long weekend.  They have some kind of Grateful Dead station on, which though I am not a big fan of, it just pretty much was perfect for my mood.  As usual,  there were several bottles I could go with, but I just had a hankerin’ for something different.  I realize I’m tapping my foot, and humming along to the song...”Tennessee Jed”.  So, by Dead intervention, Dickel 12 came home with me, and it’s a pour before we head to the Park for a Braves game.  And Dickel is always my reset whiskey for palate fatigue, so it’s perfect.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dahhhh. Zip-a-dee-AAAAA!!!!!  ?

DD1D643A-CCD4-4FA9-9165-E59BA3063EA8.jpeg

• I like it 2

Side by side with batch 8&9 tonight. Every time I revisit 9, I’m reminded of how much I absolutely love it. 

CB995A8D-9BFA-4528-8C14-C86DF035BB9D.jpeg

• I like it 1

In one of those serendipitous moments, I’m standing in front of the monger’s bourbon aisle pondering what I want to get for the long weekend.  They have some kind of Grateful Dead station on, which though I am not a big fan of, it just pretty much was perfect for my mood.  As usual,  there were several bottles I could go with, but I just had a hankerin’ for something different.  I realize I’m tapping my foot, and humming along to the song...”Tennessee Jed”.  So, by Dead intervention, Dickel 12 came home with me, and it’s a pour before we head to the Park for a Braves game.  And Dickel is always my reset whiskey for palate fatigue, so it’s perfect.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dahhhh. Zip-a-dee-AAAAA!!!!!  ?
DD1D643A-CCD4-4FA9-9165-E59BA3063EA8.thumb.jpeg.03270367f0e0c6a7dab09b78cf333090.jpeg

I’m not always in the mood for Dickel, but when I am, there isn’t anything better!

Finally done with chores; like running to Lowes, prepping the Primo grill & seasoning a pork shoulder. Fire starts at midnight...

Now for my second night in a row, a pour of Baker's. Ahhhh!

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Mako254 said:

First run at a Barrell product. 

Interesting. Got some depth to it. 

AA971502-AE17-4348-8893-87B64329E80C.jpeg

Good Call! I have a store select Barrel Bourbon & interesting was the only thing I could say for a long time. After returning several times, I started identifying flavors...

Settling in for the 1st Buckeye game with a generous pour  MM46. This weekend is starting off right.

HH6 90 proof green label. This is good stuff, and I think I may like it a wee bit better than HH6 BIB. Got some football on and the sun is shining. Good to have a 3 day weekend.

2 hours ago, silverc said:

HH6 90 proof green label. This is good stuff, and I think I may like it a wee bit better than HH6 BIB. Got some football on and the sun is shining. Good to have a 3 day weekend.

I agree and also like it just a bit better than the bib. Seems to be a little "richer" tasting.

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

HHBIB, winds, and college football. An inexpensive yet fulfilling way to spend a Saturday afternoon. 

20180901_165610.jpg

Go Dawgs, woof woof woof  ; - ) 

Edited by dad-proof

Did a tasting today to kick off the first 'big' day of college football.  Started with a PS 13 year/10 month KCSB, then to 112.6 WTRB, then cask strength KCSB rye, then on to a Boone County 12 yr BP, then to a PS MMBP.  We ended the shooting match with a nice pour of Plantation OFTD (clocking in at a nice 138 proof). 

I know it's not all bourbon, but when you're tastings bottom proofer clocks in in excess of 112 proof... I'd call it a good day!  :P

• I like it 1

JB White as I'm away for the weekend and it's all that's available. But ya know... I don't hate it. At all.

Also doing a simple WSR here. It's a lazy Sunday where I switch back & forth between taking naps and watching films. I thought this was a good fit.

• I like it 1

On the way home from church this morning we had to avoid a couple of turkeys in the road. I took it as an omen that some WT was supposed to be my beverage for today, so I've got some Tradition in the glass. Beautiful whiskey!

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 2

3 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

On the way home from church this morning we had to avoid a couple of turkeys in the road. I took it as a omen that some WT was supposed to be my beverage for today, so I've got some Tradition in the glass. Beautiful whiskey!

Hilarious!  The same thing happened to me today.

While I was passing through the LS today I spotted this: https://www.rogue.com/products/dead-guy-whiskey

I'm a huge Rogue Dead Guy fan so wondering how it is?'

Tonight I'm trying to kill off the Jefferson's the I bought a while ago, not my favorite.

On the way home from church this morning we had to avoid a couple of turkeys in the road. I took it as a omen that some WT was supposed to be my beverage for today, so I've got some Tradition in the glass. Beautiful whiskey!
We had a turkey die at our city zoo a few weeks ago. I also had some wild turkey for him and Aretha :)

Just got home from watching the Braves whoop up on the Pirates. Celebrating the win with some of Parker’s finest
IMG_1917.JPG

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.