What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a gifted sample of JB Distiller's Cut. 

Even though, I have heard this bottle punches above it's weight, it caught me off guard. It really is good. I will pick up a bottle when I can. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

It was actually last night at a restaurant where I tried some Angel's Envy port finish.  This was actually my first time buying a pour of whiskey at a restaurant...I don't know what took me so long as that's a cheaper way to try stuff compared to buying a whole bottle.  Anyway, I thought it was good, but not gonna rush out to buy a bottle.

3 hours ago, Bourserker said:

It was actually last night at a restaurant where I tried some Angel's Envy port finish.  This was actually my first time buying a pour of whiskey at a restaurant...I don't know what took me so long as that's a cheaper way to try stuff compared to buying a whole bottle.  Anyway, I thought it was good, but not gonna rush out to buy a bottle.

Bars are the way to go.  Night before last, I had a glass of Blanton's at a bar because I've been wanting to try it again (only had it once several years ago when I was new to bourbon).  And, I almost bought a bottle the other day for $55 at my local Safeway supermarket.  Glad I didn't buy the bottle because, to me, Blanton's is good but not $55 good.  I would rather have CEHT SB for $40 any day. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Blantons..this one is fantastic. 

Loving on a Blanton’s at the moment, as well.  I’ve always enjoyed Blanton’s, but this recent purchase is spectacular.  I don’t recall a more viscous Blanton’s, as this one.  Still very controlled and elegant, but with more mouthfeel and just enough more oomph in all areas.  

• I like it 1

On 8/25/2018 at 8:30 AM, DCFan said:

The wife and I ate at a seafood joint in DC on the Anacostia River across the street from the 1st base entrance to Nats Park called The Salt Line Restaurant.   https://www.thesaltline.com/

They had quite the selection of bourbons including the full array of PVW - 10, 12, 15, 20, 23 yo.  Prices for a pour of Pappy ranged from $20 to $130. I had the 15yo for $50. It was my first Pappy and I've been wanting to scratch that itch for the longest time.  It was very good but I'm not certain it was worth $50.

IMG_0087.JPG

We went to a Bar in DC last weekend and the 23yr Pappy was $500; just shook my head...got an Elmer T Lee instead for $18.

Had a sip of Old Bardstown Estate Bottled last night.  It was amazing, so sweet and mellow.  

Finished the bottle of Basil Hayden 2 X 2 Rye and followed up with a generous pour of HH 6YO BIB--which was way, way better.  I hope you newbies are taking note that price is not necessarily an indicator of quality.  The HH, at 1/3 the price, was still preferable--to me at least--to the BH. Some of you, I know, are inclined to say "I poured it down the drain!" but cheap old geezers don't be pourin' nothin' down the drain. So, alright, I drank it. I ain't proud of it, but I drank it.  The HH, on the other hand, I have no regrets about.

• I like it 3

A little Russell's Reserve, rickhouse D, for desert tonight while the kids enjoy Oreos. Everyone's happy. 

21 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The penultimate pour of a W12. Almost time to break out a replacement.

20180827_204355-1612x784.jpg

Love that glass!

A little end of summer blitz tonight. V17 and HHSS. Lovely pours.

7D44D9C0-B064-4B0D-A516-528E7344298E.jpeg

C00BE1CA-1D84-4055-BAF3-87DF4C79D982.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 4

Some OGD114 and OE101 tonight. Two bourbons that will always be in rotation as long as they remain available. Love both of these.

• I like it 2

We welcomed baby girl #2 into the world on Monday, but she had to spend several days in the NICU.  All is well now, though, and she and mama come home today.  I came home last night to get a little sleep but first enjoyed some small LE pours to celebrate: PVW20, Barterhouse, Lot B, and W12.

• I like it 15

13 minutes ago, dcbt said:

We welcomed baby girl #2 into the world on Monday, but she had to spend several days in the NICU.  All is well now, though, and she and mama come home today.  I came home last night to get a little sleep but first enjoyed some small LE pours to celebrate: PVW20, Barterhouse, Lot B, and W12.

Congratulations!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Congratulations!  Very glad to hear all are well and will soon be home.  

Cheers to you and your family!

Thanks to a very generous SBer I was able to experience this.

IMG_5209.JPG

Parker’s 10th a BIB at 24yrs. A very interesting pour that I’m glad to have tried. The nose is extremely unique, it’s almost has a sulfur smell along with vanilla, caramel, wood and leather, never smelled a bourbon quite like this, also never had one so old. Very cool to try.

• I like it 2

CONGRATS, dcbt!   ...To you; and mainly to your wifey who did damned near all the work, I'm told.   Heee-He!  :D   So wonderful when all come out hale and hearty, and return to home and hearth.    Take care of all yer gals, Dude!

CEHT SmB tonight while watching Northwestern and Purdue... don't even care about the teams (Clemson fan), just desperate for my college football fix.

Edited by Bourserker

I had a good ol' store pick BT while watching the Cards win their 10th straight series. Baseball and bourbon are alive and well in STL! 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.