What Bourbon are you enjoying? (Fall 2018)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

hopefully before HH screws us over yet again and throws 'em under the bus with the 6yrBiB.  

Y’all don’t be hatin’, now.  HH done plenty good by us.

Do find it interesting that everyone is up in arms over HH finally removing the age statement on a bargain product only distributed in Kentucky. No one seemed to be as upset when other distilleries removed statements years before HH did.
  • I like it 2

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Do find it interesting that everyone is up in arms over HH finally removing the age statement on a bargain product only distributed in Kentucky. No one seemed to be as upset when other distilleries removed statements years before HH did.

They should have just left a six on the bottle 

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Yes BT not squeezing anyone look at their $15 NAS BIB product, oh wait it's in a yellow tube and it costs $40. BT just doesn't work for me in this discussion they allocate everything while putting out line extensions and excluding ER and their Ultra Premium ranges nearly all of their age statements are implied in marketing material to increased their products perceived value. Not to mention the Old Charter 8 fiasco, which was no less than an actual attempt to "screw" their customers.

I guess i had Blantons (which i can always find) and OWA and W12 in mind when i replied. This was in the context of price  as opposed to availability. So your post is definitely valid. HH is obviously going for the money grab these days and I don’t care for it. If im gonna get screwed i guess id rather get screwed by BT, their products just taste better to me. The HHBiB tasted famtstic but their recent history and secrecy around this has rubbed me the wrong way. 

• I like it 2

They should have just left a six on the bottle 

HH 6 Star, with a 36 month age statement in fine print on the back label?
  • I like it 4

21 hours ago, Clueby said:

I really dig the F yeast.

20181007_201457-1612x784.jpg

Holy cow.  You're almost done with that bottle!

I think I feel a little honored right now.

3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I guess i had Blantons (which i can always find) and OWA and W12 in mind when i replied. This was in the context of price  as opposed to availability. So your post is definitely valid. HH is obviously going for the money grab these days and I don’t care for it. If im gonna get screwed i guess id rather get screwed by BT, their products just taste better to me. The HHBiB tasted famtstic but their recent history and secrecy around this has rubbed me the wrong way. 

Yeah tastes are what they are and everyone should buy what they like, I definitely come down on the other side of the fence an prefer HH bourbon's to BT. They announced it was going away so I'm not sure what the secrecy was, they announced the age statement was going away rather than just releasing a product with no age statement and not saying anything. All of the big guys have been guilty of some shenanigans at some point and all are in the business of making money. 

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Yeah tastes are what they are and everyone should buy what they like, I definitely come down on the other side of the fence an prefer HH bourbon's to BT. They announced it was going away so I'm not sure what the secrecy was, they announced the age statement was going away rather than just releasing a product with no age statement and not saying anything. All of the big guys have been guilty of some shenanigans at some point and all are in the business of making money. 

I never saw anybody confirm or announce this aside from Minnick or Breaking Bourbon (whom i had to ask). Did you ever see anything from HH? I never did. So thats what i mean about secrecy. Thats crap.

i get the big picture but i dont have to like it. This is just the freshest thing that has happened that i dont like. 

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I never saw anybody confirm or announce this aside from Minnick or Breaking Bourbon (whom i had to ask). Did you ever see anything from HH? I never did. So thats what i mean about secrecy. Thats crap.

i get the big picture but i dont have to like it. This is just the freshest thing that has happened that i dont like. 

Fred reposted their statement, as did a few other outlets, it was never a product listed on their website or at least it hasn't been for a number of years. Considering that it's a bottom shelf product sold in a single market I actually felt like it seemed like a lot of pomp and circumstance but figured they were just trying to appease the enthusiast community who loves it. Historically this kind of stuff has happened quite a bit and until the recent boom, and the internet no one would have expected a sports style press release where would you even send it or publish it? 

4 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Funny how they're so quick to announce the latest pricey stuff, but so forgetful about what they're dropping...  

Good points made by many - the "mysterious" 6's and 8's remaining on many Saz products predates (slightly) my resurrected bourbon interest, but def goes to everyone getting in on the act at some point.  And no doubt the BOOOOM!! (the bourbon one, not PowderKeg) has been the elephant in the room, but how many years are we into it?  

7 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Fred reposted their statement, as did a few other outlets, it was never a product listed on their website or at least it hasn't been for a number of years. Considering that it's a bottom shelf product sold in a single market I actually felt like it seemed like a lot of pomp and circumstance but figured they were just trying to appease the enthusiast community who loves it. Historically this kind of stuff has happened quite a bit and until the recent boom, and the internet no one would have expected a sports style press release where would you even send it or publish it? 

The website (corporate/distillery) would be the obvious place - since everyone and their brother has one.  Certainly wouldn't expect the full page mag addys, Bboards, and LS promos they use to promote the latest and $$$$'est, but a hint of honesty in a relatively open/accessible posted presser rather than buried in some blog would be appreciated.

I love breasts.  And I despise cancer.  Even considering those two things, I'm very pleased the NFL has stopped wearing pink all October.  What a beat down that was every year.  Oh, and I enjoyed some Witherspoon private select last night while watching Brees pass Manning as the NFL's all time leading passer.  When i watch the Saints, I spend much of the time wondering what could have been if Sean Payton had stayed in Dallas to eventually be the HC.  Thanks, Jerruh.

• I like it 1

I'm not usually a fan of bourbons over 12 to 15 years old. Even though I've used casks up to 20 years old to myself in order to help give some depth to a batch, on their own, these old casks often taste like antique oak. However, I have to say that I really enjoyed the Elijah Craig 23 year single barrel. It was fairly well balanced (i.e., not cloying on the oak, although it certainly did have plenty of oak to offer) given the age. Lots of orange citrus, vanilla, brown baking spices, with good length on the palate. 

On a separate note, a definite "yes" to healthy breasts and a big "no" to cancer! (Many thanks @dcbt). As an owner of a pair myself, I can speak on behalf of those of us who have them that we always appreciate our gent friend's support! ?

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_4298.jpg

• I like it 5

On 10/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, PowderKeg said:

Weeeellll, I suppose one man's hatin' can be another's facts....

RIP:

EC12yr

OFbib

VSOF12yr

6yrbib

What'd we get/keep:

OFbibLE in fancy glass for 4-5x (not including gouging)

EW12yr mostly only at EW experience/HHBH for 4-5× EC12

??? for 6yrbib? Not gonna hold my breath...

A test float? of Larceny BP at triple digit $$ (IIRC...)

ECsmb now maybe 8+yr and not a nickle cheaper...

From where I'm sittin' HH is repeatedly screwing us by dropping generally  popular (albeit sometimes limited area) quality/value labels to put out significantly higher $$ and/or LE and/or lesser quality for same $$.   Sure others may be on the same wagon, but HH is the most blatantly obvious and IMHO least honest (witness the whole EC12 debacle).  And it actually does pain me to type that as I've tried to keep HH in a special place because of what they've been/offered in the past - but the past isn't the present or the future which HH keeps burning up (for me).  

YMMV of course, but for me, with all the options out there today and more coming tomorrow, if I'm gonna have'ta pay more then I'll spend my funds elsewhere and HH can pound sand.  And it does pain me to say that.

And so the PowderKeg has gone BOOOOOOM!!!  Maybe that NRbib did have more than a little extra heat...

Where's the Angry Bird bomb bird emojii...

Wow......that's a lot of anger.........

Tonight I am having a pour of the 80 proof Heaven Hill. I really wish I would have been able to get a bottle of the BIB stuff before it was discontinued but we don't see that stuff in Missouri. 

While I can understand the disappointment with some of Heaven Hill's decisions, I think they are still doing pretty well in putting out well priced, high quality products (that you can actually find without scouring liquor stores).

For the sake of discussion, here are the 90+ proof bourbons by distiller (a non-exhaustive list to be sure) that you can find relatively easily on a Virginia ABC shelves in my experience:

Buffalo Trace

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star

Eagle Rare 10

Heaven Hill

Evan Williams BiB

McKenna 10 SiB

Larceny

Elijah Craig SmB

Fighting Cock

Wild Turkey

WT 101

WT KS

WT RB

RR 10

RR SiB

Four Roses

4R SmB

4R SiB

Jim Beam

Bookers

Knob Creek SiB

Knob Creek SmB

Bakers

OGD BiB

OGD 114

Jim Beam BiB

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

Jim Beam SiB

Jim Beam Devil's Cut

Barton

1792 SmB

Maker's Mark

MM

Maker's 46

MM CS

Old Forester

Old Forester Signature

Old Forester 1870

Old Forester 1897

Old Forester 1920

That even excludes Evan Williams SiB due to its sub-90 proof, but I like it pretty well. Especially when you factor in the prices on these products, Heaven Hill comes out looking pretty good.  If everything were equally available at MSRP, I would prefer the Buffalo Trace range, but to get even Weller SR here you have to win a lottery. People have been lining up before stores open for ETL, so good luck getting any of that, etc. etc.

While people on Straight Bourbon may make special efforts to get HH 6 BiB, it's really only available in one market. I think it's a fair decision to kill a KY only product if it means more bourbon for other products that are in wider release. For example, Evan Williams BiB is available here at $14. It may not have the age statement, but it is a HH BiB bourbon for a pretty comparable price. Admittedly, I don't know what its national availability is like (have heard of it being hard to find in some places). For the value minded, Heaven Hill has been by far the most committed to the low price BiB segment.

Now if they just release a new product that uses the same stuff at a higher price point (which they have done), then I think there is cause to complain. I noticed the "new" Heaven Hill BiB listed on Breaking Bourbon's release list too, but have not seen any info on that. If Heaven Hill 7yr BiB comes out for $45 next year, then complaining is justified in my book.

And to actually contribute to the title of the thread, most recently I have been drinking:

1792 SmB

4R Yellow

Blade & Bow

Blantons SFTB

RR SiB

I let myself get talked into buying the Blade & Bow, but then put off opening it for quite a while. It is actually not too bad, although definitely overpriced. The 4R Yellow was an attempt to find an 80 proofer that was decent neat, but it just comes across too bland. The 1792 is solid and the other two are excellent. I'm really torn on whether I should bring back Blantons Gold (which I'v never had) and SFTB or all SFTB on my next work trip to the old continent. First world problems...

On October 8, 2018 at 10:10 PM, HoustonNit said:

I am confused. I thought they are discontinuing HH6BIB, not just removing the age statement.

Had just plain on KC last night, was amazed at how good it was!  The body on that is insane, so tasty!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

I am confused. I thought they are discontinuing HH6BIB, not just removing the age statement.

I think the Breaking Bourbon guys were told it was being replaced with a new BIB product, it's on their release calendar for what that's worth. 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:51 AM, Vosgar said:

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this magazine once you've had a chance to check it out.

I'm about 2/3 through the first issue and so far I'm very impressed.

Heavy on content, low on ads. No reviews of whiskies. Just deep dive nerd level content and interesting stories so far.

I haven’t forgiven Michter’s for their prior sins, and I’ll probably never purchase one of their products, but I’ll be honest and say that this is pretty darn good. 

40B14ABE-6471-46F5-8879-A7006F54B4DD.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.