What Bourbon did you purchase today (Fall 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

26 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Fairly certain the 128.8 was the barrel proof prior to bottling at 120 unless it's an anniversary bottle. 

Yeah this seems to be a constant confusion but other than the anniversary bottles, KCSB is always bottled at 120. I think the confusion lies in the fact that the labels show what the proof of the barrel was prior to bottling and being proofed down to 120.

• I like it 1

Well lookee what I found hiding behind the bar's JD#7. 

Don't mind if I do.

20181027_221634.jpg

Edited by Kepler
just realized I'm in the wrong thread
  • I like it 2

Hit a bottle shop after work. These guys followed me home. 
:  )
20181027_212733.thumb.jpg.a400c5d3e703bd4915211b33e6450f4c.jpg

Curious about the Parker’s, looks like your local gets a lot of good HH stuff.

Curious is that an industrial/office coffee maker at your home?

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Don't mind if I do.

20181027_221634.jpg

Now that there is some really good stuff.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Backdoctor said:

Saw the Old Ezra BS at local stores here. What would you compare it to flavor profile wise? Just picked up another 1.75 of Weller 12, so I have a ton of bourbon in house usually only drink on weekends, so careful about over buying. 

What is this "over buying" thing you mention? Unfamiliar with it.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You make want to give Witherspoon another another go. I had a barrel pick last year at a local steakhouse and really liked it. Than again I don’t trust the bartender and think he might of mixed it up with there EC pick.

Yea I really enjoy the Witherspoon.  It's the only TX bourbon I've found that I like so far.  I've only had single barrel store picks, though (TW has had these for over a year now it seems.)  I've plowed through several bottles already.

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious about the Parker’s, looks like your local gets a lot of good HH stuff.

Curious is that an industrial/office coffee maker at your home?

They do seem to have some nice bottles show up from time to time. And yes, that's a restaurant grade Bunn coffee maker. It's been pretty good to me for the past few years. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Hit a bottle shop after work. These guys followed me home. 

:  )

20181027_212733.jpg

Will these bottles be opened in time for Thanksgiving?  ;)

Biba! Uncle Joe. :P

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Will these bottles be opened in time for Thanksgiving?  ;)

Biba! Uncle Joe. :P

They're going on the shelf labeled "Do not open until Uncle Joe gets here"!!!

?

• I like it 1

On 10/27/2018 at 7:37 AM, Backdoctor said:

Saw the Old Ezra BS at local stores here. What would you compare it to flavor profile wise? 

Tough question. 

Familiar heaven hill profile, yet different. 

Lots of wood and strong presence of cinnamon/baking spice. 

Personally, I think it’s a great bottle at the $40 price point. 

Excited to try it in a Manhattan someday.

dunno if that’s helpful or not. 

It was a day for curiosity. I grabbed a OF 1910 and a Powers Three Swallows while out looking for a CB Spaniard. No luck on the Compass Box though.

16 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I haven't had the barrel strength OE yet, but I'm a big fan of the expression it's replacing; OE 7 yr. 101 proof. The 101 proof is what I reach for when I want a WT 101 with the spice turned down a notch. It also has a grain note that I like. It's not a too young, green, grainy taste.

The loss of the original OE7 is almost as bad as HHBIB. It's all gone here. I have ONE bottled bunkered. I have not had the barrel strength either. I predict it will be better, but worth nearly twice the price as the original. They say Virgin Bourbon is a relabeled OE7. Is that available down your way?

After not buying any new bourbons for a long time (trying to drink down some of the bunker), I bought two today:  George Remus and Koval Single Barrel.

The George Remus I was keen to get because I have really liked several sourced MGP bourbons I've had, and I wanted to try their house label.  The Koval I bought because I was at a tasting yesterday and I liked it a lot more than I expected.  I had not realized that the Koval mashbill is corn and millet, which makes the Koval bourbon unique as far as I'm aware.

6 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

The loss of the original OE7 is almost as bad as HHBIB. It's all gone here. I have ONE bottled bunkered. I have not had the barrel strength either. I predict it will be better, but worth nearly twice the price as the original. They say Virgin Bourbon is a relabeled OE7. Is that available down your way?

I've never seen any Virgin Bourbon in my area. I didn't go look for it but I think I remember @Harry in WashDC did a sbs in the tasting forum a while back. His impression was there is a difference in the juice.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Now that there is some really good stuff.

Hey @flahute, good to see you again! 

I have to admit, JD is the first whiskey I ever tasted, which was in 1977, and even though some folks laugh at it on the industry-side of things, I have to say it (at least the better bottlings) still has a special place in my heart! ?

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I've never seen any Virgin Bourbon in my area. I didn't go look for it but I think I remember @Harry in WashDC did a sbs in the tasting forum a while back. His impression was there is a difference in the juice.

I just picked some up this last week in Clanton, Alabama (Peach Park area). Good stuff. It is very similar to OE7. I wouldn't say identical, but super close. I will hopefully do a sbs here in the near future.

Edited by Jfletchgu

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

Between TV shows so I went searching for what I wrote.  It's here:

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @flahute, good to see you again! 

I have to admit, JD is the first whiskey I ever tasted, which was in 1977, and even though some folks laugh at it on the industry-side of things, I have to say it (at least the better bottlings) still has a special place in my heart! ?

Cheers,

Nancy

Hahaha! It's been too long Nancy! We need to pick another barrel and drink cocktails after. That was fun.

You know - the base JD products live up to their reputation, but, the singles barrels and especially the barrel proof version our outstanding and hold their own against Kentucky's best.

I hear you on the heart strings though - I had an uncle who loved Sinatra and JD so it kind of works for me as well.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Between TV shows so I went searching for what I wrote.  It's here:

Thanks all! I couldn't even find the Virgin in Kentucky. So it's available in parts of the south. What is the price point? 

57 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Thanks all! I couldn't even find the Virgin in Kentucky. So it's available in parts of the south. What is the price point? 

$11-$17

I may have been the one who initiated the whole "Are Virgin 101 & Ezra Brooks the same" debate that was so well addressed by Harry...Today, however, I walked right past the Virgin 101 and pick up a bottle of the new Old Ezra Barrel Strength. The bottle and label are great and I hope the juice lives up to the hype. I was able to get one bottle of the Old Ezra 101 before it was discontinued (Can't get it here) and thought it was slightly better than the Virgin 101. I hope the Barrel Strength is good. A 7yo Cask Strength bottle at $40 is a deal if it is good.

fullsizeoutput_da6.jpeg

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Hahaha! It's been too long Nancy! We need to pick another barrel and drink cocktails after. That was fun.

You know - the base JD products live up to their reputation, but, the singles barrels and especially the barrel proof version our outstanding and hold their own against Kentucky's best.

I hear you on the heart strings though - I had an uncle who loved Sinatra and JD so it kind of works for me as well.

For sure, it would be great to have you back to DC to do another barrel pick! I was just working back there last week. I'd love to let you taste some new stuff I'm working on. 

As for the JD, its funny, my liking the better expressions is sort of like a "dirty little secret" that I can't tell some of my industry colleagues about without hearing roaring laughter and getting looks of distain. But as you said, some of the single barrel and barrel proof versions can be phenomenal. 

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

I may have been the one who initiated the whole "Are Virgin 101 & Ezra Brooks the same" debate that was so well addressed by Harry...Today, however, I walked right past the Virgin 101 and pick up a bottle of the new Old Ezra Barrel Strength. The bottle and label are great and I hope the juice lives up to the hype. I was able to get one bottle of the Old Ezra 101 before it was discontinued (Can't get it here) and thought it was slightly better than the Virgin 101. I hope the Barrel Strength is good. A 7yo Cask Strength bottle at $40 is a deal if it is good.

fullsizeoutput_da6.jpeg

Can't wait for your review!

On 10/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, Kepler said:

Don't mind if I do.

20181027_221634.jpg

I wouldn't mind if I did too on that one! Looks like it is coming in at a hearty 134.1 proof too.....very nice. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.