Empty bottle(s) support group ~ 2019

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, fosmith said:

This one won't be missed.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't in my wheelhouse.  My second bottle too so I did give it a chance...

4R SiB gone.jpg

I feel the same way about the standard single barrel. I love the small batch, though.

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I feel the same way about the standard single barrel. 

Ditto

Not bourbon, I know, but this 20 yr old cask strength single barrel Armagnac was freakin' delicious! 

del cassou.jpg

• I like it 2

Had the last pour of my first Weller 12 last night and then tonight it appears my first bottle of Blantons SFTB will be finished ?

• I like it 2

On 8/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, fosmith said:

Not bourbon, I know, but this 20 yr old cask strength single barrel Armagnac was freakin' delicious! 

del cassou.jpg

What is Armagnac?  

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What is Armagnac?  

It's a brandy that is produced in the Armagnac region of France.  Unlike Cognac which is dominated by a small number of high volume producers, Armagnac has many small volume artisanal domains - "craft" producers, if you will.  Since it flies under the radar screen, you can get a 20 to 35 year old spirit offering incredible depth and complexity for far less than a comparable Cognac or bourbon would cost. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

What is Armagnac?  

Something that should have been posted in the French Spirits forum :) 

• I like it 5

7 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Something that should have been posted in the French Spirits forum :) 

Yeah, yeah, I know.  :) I posted here for two reasons.  1. The French Spirits forum doesn't get much action but mostly 2. Armagnac is the most "bourbon like" French spirit with oaky and savory notes that temper the grapey aromas and flavors that usually dominate brandy. 

• I like it 1

Just now, fosmith said:

1. The French Spirits forum doesn't get much action but mostly 

Thats why you should post it over there give the thread some love, keep Nancy, @EarthQuake, @HoustonNit, myself and the other occasional drop ins company 

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Thats why you should post it over there give the thread some love, keep Nancy, @EarthQuake, @HoustonNit, myself and the other occasional drop ins company 

Ok, will do...

• I like it 1

I'm guessing Smokinjoe was just having a little fun with ya :D

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I'm guessing Smokinjoe was just having a little fun with ya :D

As was I @fosmith if it wasn't clear.

I'm guessing Smokinjoe was just having a little fun with ya [emoji3]

I agree Gary, especially since the post about Armagnac was in the wrong forum section, as noted by Kevin’s post. Joe was actually rather subtle about it this time...he’s usually more blunt! [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

It’s been a busy couple of weeks. I had a few low fills that need to go the great recycle bin in the sky.

IMG_7544.jpg

Ok Handy is ridiculously good whiskey very sad to see this go as I’m sure I’m u likely to see another at retail for years.

The rest I’d rate as follows.

Saffell bourbon is really good and I’d recommend anyone to try it. That being said not sure I’d buy another unless it’s on special. I find the RRSB to be similar and a much better value.

4RSB PS OBSV just under 10 years. I really like OBSV and OESV and there instant buys whenever I see them assuming it’s still under $80.

W12 at under $40 for a fifth is a great deal for 12 year wheated at 90 proof. Certainly not worth what people are paying for it. My honey pots for this have dried up but I have enough stashed for the next few years. I’d honestly rather have something like WT101 most days but it’s good for a nice occasional change.

ETL very similar thoughts to W12. I bought these for $35 or less and it’s perfectly fine for what it is at those prices. Not complex but easy sipping no thinking bourbon. I think I’d pass at $50 or more if I saw it again.

Baby Saz it’s perfectly I just don’t think it’s for me. I seem to be moving away in preference from the BT profile that comes across in all there whiskey whether it be rye, wheated, low or high rye bourbon. I have a coworker from Japan who’s back there on vacation. Told him to keep an eye out for EW 12 year 101 proof red label and WT13 year and if he’s lucky the 12 year. Told him not to bother with any of the Blanton’s offerings as the EW and WT exports are much more interesting to me.

• I like it 1

It’s been a busy couple of weeks. I had a few low fills that need to go the great recycle bin in the sky.

IMG_7544.thumb.jpg.5a29c61634a19f444870305c09a11690.jpg

Ok Handy is ridiculously good whiskey very sad to see this go as I’m sure I’m u likely to see another at retail for years.

The rest I’d rate as follows.

Saffell bourbon is really good and I’d recommend anyone to try it. That being said not sure I’d buy another unless it’s on special. I find the RRSB to be similar and a much better value.

4RSB PS OBSV just under 10 years. I really like OBSV and OESV and there instant buys whenever I see them assuming it’s still under $80.

W12 at under $40 for a fifth is a great deal for 12 year wheated at 90 proof. Certainly not worth what people are paying for it. My honey pots for this have dried up but I have enough stashed for the next few years. I’d honestly rather have something like WT101 most days but it’s good for a nice occasional change.

ETL very similar thoughts to W12. I bought these for $35 or less and it’s perfectly fine for what it is at those prices. Not complex but easy sipping no thinking bourbon. I think I’d pass at $50 or more if I saw it again.

Baby Saz it’s perfectly I just don’t think it’s for me. I seem to be moving away in preference from the BT profile that comes across in all there whiskey whether it be rye, wheated, low or high rye bourbon. I have a coworker from Japan who’s back there on vacation. Told him to keep an eye out for EW 12 year 101 proof red label and WT13 year and if he’s lucky the 12 year. Told him not to bother with any of the Blanton’s offerings as the EW and WT exports are much more interesting to me.

IMG_7545.jpg
  • I like it 1

On 7/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, fosmith said:

This one won't be missed.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't in my wheelhouse.  My second bottle too so I did give it a chance...

4R SiB gone.jpg

Well you guys are right about one thing here:  it isn't bad.  That's as far as I can go with you on this one though.  I just love the single barrel.  One of my favorites no matter the price.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Well you guys are right about one thing here:  it isn't bad.  That's as far as I can go with you on this one though.  I just love the single barrel.  One of my favorites no matter the price.

Amen!

:)

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm assuming you are speaking of the barrel strength private selections.  I'm with you on that.  So much better than the regular 100 proof SiB.  Not too happy with the recent price increase though...

Glad it was a big one...but gone too soon since it will take a 4+ hour drive for a replacement.

The last of this had been in the freezer and I think that made it go faster!

0F76B93F-74CD-4EEB-A3AB-5B60CB10B407.jpeg

• I like it 3

Men down! FWIW, one of the OWA's was used in making a new batch of my Weller Blend.

Biba! Joe

b5.jpeg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I'm assuming you are speaking of the barrel strength private selections.  I'm with you on that.  So much better than the regular 100 proof SiB.  Not too happy with the recent price increase though...

Actually I was referring to the standard single barrel.  But yeah the PS are ever better.  Agree with you on the price creep.

They are all good, but I thought this batch was particularly great. Added a backup then passed on a well priced one, went back and it was gone. Doh!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.