What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All laser coded from 2017.

I don’t think anyone ever decided if it was legitimate 8 year OC, or just a labeling error at BT

Either way, I drank one of these last year and passed on them today.

Not that it’s bad whiskey or anything, but the bottle I drank was nothing memorable. 

8CDF66A1-A6F3-4F65-A168-705204C92180.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, 0895 said:

All laser coded from 2017.

I don’t think anyone ever decided if it was legitimate 8 year OC, or just a labeling error at BT

Either way, I drank one of these last year and passed on them today.

Not that it’s bad whiskey or anything, but the bottle I drank was nothing memorable. 

8CDF66A1-A6F3-4F65-A168-705204C92180.jpeg

I haven’t seen OC here in awhile.. maybe it’s still around but the ABC store folks look at you like you asked if the Mother Ship just landed if you inquire if they have or will get.. IMO maybe not memorable but was a great value for an all-around swig.. It was excellent for mixing cocktails and I had no problem drinking neat or over a cube.. I miss it for the money for sure! :( 

3 minutes ago, hollywood said:

I haven’t seen OC here in awhile.. maybe it’s still around but the ABC store folks look at you like you asked if the Mother Ship just landed if you inquire if they have or will get.. IMO maybe not memorable but was a great value for an all-around swig.. It was excellent for mixing cocktails and I had no problem drinking neat or over a cube.. I miss it for the money for sure! :( 

I feel like you should think about moving. 

:P

35 minutes ago, ptman2000 said:

Is this the regular or high rye 10 year? Barrel proof?

95% rye 5% malt barrel proof

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I feel like you should think about moving. 

:P

Bahahahaha! Yes! And the money I’d save from bourbon purchases would be like getting a major raise! Bump me into another tax bracket! 

• I like it 1

Thought hard about it, but left a shelf full of Baker’s on sale @ $39.99 here in Dallas— amidst a crowd of home grown Texas craft whisky at twice the price.

It was delivery day at my neighborhood ABC today and I knew Wellers was coming today. I showed up at 10:30 and found out that it went in the first 5 minutes of the store opening at 10. I left Blantons, BT, Saz,  1792 SB, and VOB sitting on floor for someone else. I wasn’t interested in the 1792 and already have the others.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

It was delivery day at my neighborhood ABC today and I knew Wellers was coming today. I showed up at 10:30 and found out that it went in the first 5 minutes of the store opening at 10. I left Blantons, BT, Saz,  1792 SB, and VOB sitting on floor for someone else. I wasn’t interested in the 1792 and already have the others.

Sigh.  Do you know which Wellers came in?  I feel like the 12 year has been a spring item these last few years.  Been a decent amount of hate on the W12 lately.  While I agree it is not worth secondary, I find it to be very very good, easy drinking and plenty of complexity for a 90pf pour.  

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Sigh.  Do you know which Wellers came in?  I feel like the 12 year has been a spring item these last few years.  Been a decent amount of hate on the W12 lately.  While I agree it is not worth secondary, I find it to be very very good, easy drinking and plenty of complexity for a 90pf pour.  

Bob, I purposely didn't ask because I didn't want to be further broken hearted.  :) I recently finished an OWA not long ago that I got at the ABC a couple of years ago when the buying frenzy wasn't quite as bad as it is now.  It was a very nice drinker for the $25 price tag.

Passed on Legent at $43. I’d love to try this but want to find it closer to $35. Of course this being the only bottle of it I’ve seen so far the pull to pony up the few bucks of mark up is strong. 

Passed on Blanton's at two separate stores today. $130 at the first and $150 at the second. Also passed on Stagg Jr. for $100 at the first store. 

Not bourbon, but I passed on a Peerless single barrel rye.  Interestingly, it's still two years old but 108 proof, and 10 bucks cheaper than the standard small batch. 

Passed on another Blanton's today. A few on the shelf, but $140. They also has ECBP for $100. Dallas has gone insane with the pricing of "limited" releases. Even Eagle Rare has become a "steal" at $40

For a more reasonable pass, I didn't grab the $40 CETL BiB.

Edited by afinchmustang

This Is what 300 bottle shops looked like in Ohio 3 months ago.  Starting to dry up now. Antique at $26 ($53 for the 1.75 ltr) Glad I stocked up...

1009181003-1.jpg

• I like it 3

This Is what 300 bottle shops looked like in Ohio 3 months ago.  Starting to dry up now. Antique at $26 ($53 for the 1.75 ltr) Glad I stocked up...
1009181003-1.thumb.jpg.13ccbed8f3591474b633eb3877f95738.jpg

Wow! Those are incredible prices in the current market. I wonder if their next release shipment will be affected by the price increase impacting a lot of other states. Those prices are still well below the prices in my area this past winter before the price increase.
  • I like it 1

15 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! Those are incredible prices in the current market. I wonder if their next release shipment will be affected by the price increase impacting a lot of other states. Those prices are still well below the prices in my area this past winter before the price increase.

Almost worth a trip to OH

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

1009181003-1.jpg

That is a slice of heaven to me. Haven’t seen one on a shelf, let alone a stocked shelf. 

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Almost worth a trip to OH

Probably not.

(I can say that because I'm from Ohio).

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

State controlled prices.  Seems to only be available at big distributors like Giant Eagle, Buehler's but not the mom&pop shops.  Antique not so much now but still lots of Weller Reserve.

13 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

1009181003-1.jpg

He’s talking about 3 months ago. March 1 the price went up to $29.99 and not the $49.99 which a lot of markets had seen. The superintendent of Ohio Liquor Commission was on a podcast and had a conversation with Buffalo trace about getting the “good stuff”. Buffalo Trace responded that they would like to see things fair across the board and be available to more people. Ohio then started implementing more and more raffles. They have  had probably 10 since November and not just Buffalo Trace products.  BTAC, Pappy, OFC 1993, Double Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace Experimental, Weller CYPB, Weller 12, OFitzBIB, PH12, Elmer T Lee, OFBB. I’m probably missing something, but I believe that’s why this market hasn’t changed the Weller prices so dramatically. 

• I like it 1

Not really a liquor store per se, but I stopped by HH yesterday and passed on:

HM 10 y.o. - $56.95

EC 18 - $189.95

Old Fitz - $114.95

They asked me if they could help me with anything that was in the cabinet and I told them "Yeah, you can stop entering bourbon in the competitions".  That way the price doesn't sky rocket.

• I like it 1

Never saw a Weller SR  barrel pick before.  pretty cheap too.   I found something else more interesting.

IMG_0955.jpg

• I like it 2

I was on vacation in Destin, Fl this week and passed on a bottle of knob creek limited edition 2001 for $99.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:51 PM, kemosabe said:

Never saw a Weller SR  barrel pick before.  pretty cheap too.   I found something else more interesting.

IMG_0955.jpg

A barrel of no thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.