What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My son brought this home to me from his recent visit to the distillery while he was in Seattle for a friend’s wedding. It’s got more barley on the nose and palate than it’s mash bill would seem to indicate, and it’s very different from the typical 5 to 6yr old bourbon, but I have to admit...it’s pretty good stuff!
IMG_0084.jpg

21 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I'm curious, have you tried the Maker's 46, Bill's pick?  In theory, should just be Cask Strength 46. 

Cheers

Ya know, I don’t remember...  :D

my comparisons are to the other 46 PS bottles with the various non standard 46 staves.  

Was craving a vanilla bomb, but my bunkered JD SiBBP spares are all buried.

This'll have to do..IMG_20190713_215314846.jpg

BT PS again this evening. Getting near the bottom of the bottle. It has been a good barrel.

I wish I had another.  Oh well, I bet I will be ok. ?

Cheers. 

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, flahute said:

You’ll have to experiment. I tried HH6BIB in the freezer and didn’t like it as much as from the fridge. 4RYL however is great from the freezer. 

Because you mentioned it, I’m now going to try RB from the freezer. 

Ooh sounds good, I love experiments.  I'll try it out and post my results.  Going to be fun choosing a bottle for the experiment.  I was leaning towards either FC 6yr or HH6BiB, but that 4RYL is also a good idea I hadn't thought about. Thanks

8 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Freezer here. I store a few at all times, but will also put just about any bottle in the freezer (along with the glass) when I plan to pour it over a large cube. Avoids that cracking and popping of the ice when you pour. KCSiB in particular is fantastic this way and pours like maple syrup when cold. 

KC is also a great idea. Thanks for the idea

Wrapping up the night with some grandpa weller's 4 grain.  I've become really fond of this home blend.  Thanks SBers.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

My son brought this home to me from his recent visit to the distillery while he was in Seattle for a friend’s wedding. It’s got more barley on the nose and palate than it’s mash bill would seem to indicate, and it’s very different from the typical 5 to 6yr old bourbon, but I have to admit...it’s pretty good stuff!
IMG_0084.jpg

I haven't had their bourbon, but I really enjoy their 100% straight rye.  It was originally aged in small barrels and was even more flavorful and so dark it was almost the color of coffee.  But the current bottling is still pretty tasty stuff. 

• I like it 1

Woodford DO. This double oak is climbing up the list quickly of go-to’s. I reeeally enjoy it, just wish it was a little more affordable though.  Worth it, but still pricey nonetheless..

I tried my first New Riff product today, the single barrel bourbon. I thought it was pretty good considering it is only 4 years. I’ll be excited to try their juice as it matures further. At $50 I probably won’t buy a bottle of this anytime soon but there are certainly worse values out there. Need to try their rye still for sure

• I like it 1

Paired up my WRDO with some fresh onions and peppers with sweet italian sausage.. :) Another go-to! 

D4EEAA65-0B56-417A-B76D-FE4466874BAD.jpeg

• I like it 1

A healthy pour of OWA after a very productive but exhausting weekend. Changed the rear struts in my wife’s car yesterday, Still have the front to do along with ball joints. And power washed the second half of the house today. Frickin exhausted.
IMG_2932.jpg

• I like it 1

having a pour of DN1863. After my first sip I thought "wow, this reminds me of a grainier version of WT101."  So I poured a little WT101 to compare. Though I definitely like the turkey better, I stand by my initial impression. Funny how spicy a wheater is to me tonight. 

• I like it 1

In Atlanta, having some Old Forester in the Delta Lounge before my flight to Seoul on my way to Jakarta.

F88C20E9-D1D4-4C3C-8E34-EB03C1FFABBF.jpeg

• I like it 2

Not my favorite batch of ECBP. A little one dimensional but has some fleeting moments of ECBP-ness. Overall its mostly hot oak.

20190714_203724-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Not my favorite batch of ECBP. A little one dimensional but has some fleeting moments of ECBP-ness. Overall its mostly hot oak.

Which batch is that?  I can't read the label even after zooming in...

TIA

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

TIA

I think it’s C918. And I have to agree with his taste buds.

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I think it’s C918. And I have to agree with his taste buds.

Interesting.  I've seem a few reviews that said C was the best of the 2018 batches.  I haven't tried B but I thought C was a bit better than A in '18.  That said, ECBP seems to mess with my palate sometimes.  Some nights it's rich, complex and wonderful.  Other nights, the same bottle is just heat and barrel char. 

• I like it 3

39 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Interesting.  I've seem a few reviews that said C was the best of the 2018 batches.  I haven't tried B but I thought C was a bit better than A in '18.  That said, ECBP seems to mess with my palate sometimes.  Some nights it's rich, complex and wonderful.  Other nights, the same bottle is just heat and barrel char. 

I've had the same experience with it.  Must be what we've eaten and drank during the day that affects it.  I do note that I can eliminate most of the heat by letting it sit a minimum of 10 minutes prior to sipping.  That said, I still need a cube of ice which really opens it up for me and allows more flavor to come through.

• I like it 2

Agree on the C918. I think the B518 was\is probably the best I've had so far in the past couple of years with the A119 a close runner up.

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

TIA

Sorry all..yes that is the C918.  I had some A119 recently and it is a stellar batch.  Better than B518 IMHO.  My favorite batch so far was the "old" style batch 12, the last one before the change.  None of the newer batches have held up to that one. ..again IMHO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.