What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

image.thumb.jpeg.1e76a20e0ea27298705dd83c6c6be81c.jpeg

This is yuge. I dont know if most of these are like this but thats a ton of flavor. 

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Hey.  Mako’s back!

Good to see you.

Thanks man!

work has been nuts and 2 kids under 5 have me pretty occupied. 

• I like it 6

9 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Thanks man!

Enjoy the frenzy while you can.  They grow up so gosh darn fast.  Soon you’ll be creaky and asking, When did we get so old?  ANS - is what bourbon is for = to fuzz the passage of time.

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Thanks man!

Always good to hear from you my man.

I made some more of my Weller Blend from old label/bottler Weller's. The OWA and Weller SR pictured were private picks. The Weller 12 is one of a "few" that Vosgar purchased a number of years ago. I was at a liquor store that was in the midst of a remodel, and I spotted a full case tucked away, half hidden way up high above the shelves where extra stock was stored. I had bunch of Weller 12 at the time, so I gave Gary a call and told him about them. He went to buy a couple, and they had an old or incorrect price on them. IIRC, they rang up at $16.99 a bottle. Gary did question if that was the correct price and was told yes. He bought the whole case. 

And now, the rest of the story. I received these bottles, plus a number of others from Vosgar's wife, via his brother in law. Sometime in the past at one of our get togethers here, Gary, Galvin 0791 and I kinda half kiddingly made an informal pact between us. If one of us passed away, the other two would probably be the beneficiary of some nice bottles. Well, I received a call from Gary's brother in law the other day, and he told me that he had some bottles for me and Mike. Yes, Gary had left specific instructions (some time ago I might add) about a few of his bottles if anything ever happened to him. Even in the hereafter, Gary has managed to again show us just what kind of person he was. I believe I can speak for Mike when I say that we ran the whole gamut of emotions when we received Gary's bottles. 

My blend using Gary's bottles will be poured from very sparingly. I plan on saving most of it with the hope that some day I'll make it down to Bardstown again and be able to share it with other members here. I think Gary would like that. Cheers brother!

Joe

DSC_0034.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

• I like it 23

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I made some more of my Weller Blend from old label/bottler Weller's. The OWA and Weller SR pictured were private picks. The Weller 12 is one of a "few" that Vosgar purchased a number of years ago. I was at a liquor store that was in the midst of a remodel, and I spotted a full case tucked away, half hidden way up high above the shelves where extra stock was stored. I had bunch of Weller 12 at the time, so I gave Gary a call and told him about them. He went to buy a couple, and they had an old or incorrect price on them. IIRC, they rang up at $16.99 a bottle. Gary did question if that was the correct price and was told yes. He bought the whole case. 

And now, the rest of the story. I received these bottles, plus a number of others from Vosgar's wife, via his brother in law. Sometime in the past at one of our get togethers here, Gary, Galvin 0791 and I kinda half kiddingly made an informal pact between us. If one of us passed away, the other two would probably be the beneficiary of some nice bottles. Well, I received a call from Gary's brother in law the other day, and he told me that he had some bottles for me and Mike. Yes, Gary had left specific instructions (some time ago I might add) about a few of his bottles if anything ever happened to him. Even in the hereafter, Gary has managed to again show us just what kind of person he was. I believe I can speak for Mike when I say that we ran the whole gamut of emotions when we received Gary's bottles. 

My blend using Gary's bottles will be poured from very sparingly. I plan on saving most of it with the hope that some day I'll make it down to Bardstown again and be able to share it with other members here. I think Gary would like that. Cheers brother!

Joe

DSC_0034.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

Very cool story Joe.  Thanks for sharing it! ?

• I like it 1

I’m digging the label on that one, Joe. “Gary’s Batch” kinda has a nice ring to it!

• I like it 3

^^^^^^^

Joe,

This, is absolutely the best thing I've seen all week! 

I know it must have been a bittersweet (and emotional) moment, but what a great example of what great friendships are all about!

Thank you for sharing this special moment with the rest of us. 

• I like it 4

Dang, who’s cutting onions in here?  And why is it so dusty?

? ? ?

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe

DSC_0034.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

Incredible.

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe

DSC_0034.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

Thank you for sharing that Joe.  A lot of us have great memories of Gary that we've been scrolling through.  But knowing your friendship, I really appreciate you sharing things like this with us.  He is sorely missed. 

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Joe

DSC_0034.jpeg

DSC_0018.jpeg

Dang Joe, thank you for sharing. An incredible friendship between you two. Awesome. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Enjoy the frenzy while you can.  They grow up so gosh darn fast.  Soon you’ll be creaky and asking, When did we get so old?  ANS - is what bourbon is for = to fuzz the passage of time.

Thanks Harry. I’ve missed you my friend. Hope you haven’t run out of OGD in my time away. 

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Opening up a brand new toy today ?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=17d97b5a7f51d042imageproxy.php?img=&key=17d97b5a7f51d042

20200807_224214.jpg

Folks, this is how you do it. Buy it, open it, enjoy it.  Kepler obviously doesn't live in Taterville! 

Jealous. ?

Cheers

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Opening up a brand new toy today ?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=17d97b5a7f51d042imageproxy.php?img=&key=17d97b5a7f51d042

20200807_224214.jpg

Hey, nice!

I was wondering when this would show up around here.

Let us know your thoughts sometime.

10 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Kepler obviously doesn't live in Taterville! 

One of the many reasons why he fits in so well here.

Cheers to you as well!

• I like it 1

Bottles of ECBP B520 and an older batch of Stagg Jr. have been opened in the past two days. Even at their higher proofs, they are extremely good on flavor and complexity.

• I like it 1

Pulled this one from the back of the bunker ( as evidenced by the dust :-))) to  help celebrate a Birthday with my family.  I have had a great weekend with them. 

Cheers 

IMG_4112.PNG

• I like it 10

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Hey, nice!

I was wondering when this would show up around here.

Let us know your thoughts sometime.

Last night I did post some of my first impressions over in the What Are You Drinking thread.  I found it similar to older aged wheaters and quite dissimilar to other expressions in the Weller product line in that way. It's unique -- and very good.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, flahute said:

One of the many reasons why he fits in so well here.

Cheers to you as well!

He sure does fit in well. I enjoy reading his posts & the two of you's dialogue. 

Happy Birthday. ?

Cheers

A pour or two before being called up for freezer duty.  This is the liter size, perfect for my freezer space and was only 2 bucks more than the fifth.

Thanks for the recommendation SBers.

20200815_204435.jpg

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

A pour or two before being called up for freezer duty.  This is the liter size, perfect for my freezer space and was only 2 bucks more than the fifth.

20200815_204435.jpg

You are in for a treat.

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

20200815_204435.jpg

I just realized the liters and 1.75 ml’s still have the screw cap necessary for freezer duty.

Time to upgrade and throw my old 750ml yellow label bottle away... ?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.