What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought my first bottle of OF 1920 in early 2019 when I started branching out from the basic “good” bourbons like Woodford and Knob Creek. That bottle sent me down an exciting, and expensive, path. I finished that bottle long ago but didn’t buy another due to the ever present newest and greatest that I would find on the shelf.  A few weeks ago I finally picked up another bottle and cracked it tonight. Happy to say it’s still great!

• I like it 2

Doing a SbS with a couple of 6 year old rye’s (one new and one old). Was hoping to score an 18 year old but it sounded like I just missed it.

8CDF83F5-4EBA-4FDD-A2E5-399CACC765BD.jpeg

• I like it 2

Cuz well... it’s Friday.

”Old Prentice” single barrel bottling.

Wow this is different.  In a really good way.

5C4DBD20-BDA7-47F8-B5C9-E30505C87933.jpeg

• I like it 6

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Cuz well... it’s Friday.

Is my name on the back of that old bottle?   Please check. It’s on the back of my current bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Is my name on the back of that old bottle?   Please check. It’s on the back of my current bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

yes, but on the other side ?

8BE57225-4616-4F70-947E-EFB0A352C9C6.jpeg

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

yes, but on the other side ?

A link to the backstory on this from a thread long ago on SB. More info on this can be found if you search a little. Here’s  a funny, true story I have to share. I’ve probably already told this here before, but what the heck.?

A few years ago, I was at BT (probably with Vosgar) and we had just finished a tour. I was hanging out in the gift shop when a young lady came out from the back pushing a cart loaded with ER. She started putting them on a shelf to be sold. I caught her eye and asked her if those were my bottles. She gave me a quizzical look and said “Excuse me? ”  I asked her again if those were my bottles. Before she could say anything, I told her my name was on the back. She looked on the back of the bottle and asked what my name was. I told her, and even showed her my drivers license. She looked confused. There was a moment of silence, and I couldn’t keep a straight face any more.  I fessed up, and even told her about the  real Joe C. She took it well, and we both laughed. She finished up with the bottles and started to head back into the back room. She turned around and told me, “That was a good one. You have a nice day. “  ?

Biba! Joe C. ?

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Cuz well... it’s Friday.

5C4DBD20-BDA7-47F8-B5C9-E30505C87933.jpeg

Cool. I've got 3 bottles with that label design. A couple of them still have the tissue paper wrapping like the BTAC.  Mine are 2012 bottlings though (laser code B12). I don't have much knowledge on the history of ER

Booker's C07-B-7.  This was supposedly one of the round table batches. So much better than most regular Booker's I've had. You can actually taste some real age on this one, ... the way they are meant to be if you ask me.

20201204_222408.jpg

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Booker's C07-B-7.  This was supposedly one of the round table batches. So much better than most regular Booker's I've had. You can actually taste some real age on this one, ... the way they are meant to be if you ask me.

That's my all time favorite batch of Booker's that I've had; ahead of "Big Man Small Batch".  Just amazing.  And, yes, it was the first roundtable batch and same proof as the 25th anniversary. 

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

20201204_222408.jpg

Oh yes! This one was great. I wish I still had some of that.

Just now, Bret Bret said:

Opened a WSR family size and decanter it...those big one are tough to handle.

Tough to “handle”. Nice one.  :lol:

Biba! Joe

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

That's my all time favorite batch of Booker's that I've had; ahead of "Big Man Small Batch".  Just amazing.  And, yes, it was the first roundtable batch and same proof as the 25th anniversary. 

That's great to hear. Funny I almost cracked the Big Man batch but went with this one instead. I have a ton of old Booker's to work through. So many Booker's, so little time...

Opened up a RRSiB to do a triple BSBS with two RRSiB PS

BSBS can be illuminating & humbling at times. For tonight anyway, the standard RRSiB came in 2nd, with the RRSiB PS I was testing (and thought I would prefer) came in 3rd. The silver lining, I will save money, by not loading up on 3rd place RRSiB. 

Thanks to Ms. Wedel for setting up The BSBS   

Cheers

• I like it 1

Opened up a Abraham Bowman Touriga and Merlot finished bourbon for a little outdoor get together the other night.

Finally got one of these. I like the new dimpled or rippled bottle. I started with a bit of the new 9yr SmB. The 12 was noticeably better with richer flavors. Finished with a 9yr store pick and that was the winner by far. 

0256CE40-A0F3-40EC-85B3-EA361C956181.jpeg

• I like it 1

I missed out on the Van Winkle Rye that I wanted so I’m consoling myself with a fresh crack. Rusluts for life!

B375D6FD-1DA4-4CB1-8306-59B4165D236E.jpeg

• I like it 2

Been digging on a honey barrel of 4R Sib. I didn't want to pour the last so I switches gears, slightly...

This is my first 4R Select and it isn't bad at all. Not quite as good as the honey SiB but better that others I have had.

20201212_153654.thumb.jpg.d5029c1caf9a3600b4fdcf7a43831780.jpg

Saw this at Total Wine the other day (it might be a TW exclusive, not sure), and having never tried any type of Barrell branded bourbon I thought I would give this 14 a try.  As I have no experience with this maker I obviously don't know how it compares to their other variants ... it appears that generally speaking Barrell is well regarded and has had some good releases, but again I wouldn't know.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, it's certainly not bland. Very powerful smokey taste but somehow mixed with very sweet cherry like hues ... some sort  of bourbon analogue of a pizza with pepperoni, jalapeños, and pineapple on it.  Not what I would order on my pizza but it sorta works on this bourbon ... at least initially, the more I drink it as I type the more sweet it is becoming in the glass.  This might be one of those things where I have positive first impression but wonder what I was thinking the more I drink it. But as always, I do appreciate something unique and surprising at 100ish proof, either by accident or by intent. Value wise however, unless this specific taste is your precise thing, it's a pass at around $100.

IMG-6058.jpg.

I would like to amend my above review ... the bourbon went from pepperoni/pineapple, to pineapple, to dear lord wtf is this thing?

I hate it so much I am reserving it to serve alongside my pork sushi to people I never want to visit me again.

Cracked open a bottle of KC15, and double shoot to detraumatize my taste buds. 

IMG-6063.jpg

Edited by soulsea

Those of you that know me know that I associate wheaters with Christmas. (See current BOTM thread).

So it's only fitting that I took a trip to the bunker and brought up a Weller 12 and a RY 10yr SiB.

Tonight is going to be good.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Those of you that know me know that I associate wheaters with Christmas. (See current BOTM thread).

So it's only fitting that I took a trip to the bunker and brought up a Weller 12 and a RY 10yr SiB.

I was struggling to figure out what I was going to pour next because my opening short pour of EC12 just wasn't its normal great self.

Then I saw your post and I instantly knew what I needed to pour.  RY10  SiB it is!  One of my very favorites this time of year too.

And wow some exciting finishes with tonight's CFB games. 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I was struggling to figure out what I was going to pour next because my opening short pour of EC12 just wasn't its normal great self.

Then I saw your post and I instantly knew what I needed to pour.  RY10  SiB it is!  One of my very favorites this time of year too.

And wow some exciting finishes with tonight's CFB games. 

So, I'm following y'alls lead on a Wheated pour. Opened up a MMCS from the bunker. This batch has been my fave out of the 4-5 batches I've tried. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.