What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

As you may recall, I am not a fan of oaky, older (10+ years) bourbon, usually.  The tannins and astringent character of hefty bourbons tend to distract me.  This one, though, is a nice balance of traditional bourbon flavors and has plenty of caramel, spice, pepper, and a creamy mouthfeel with little heat.  The latter is probably due to its under-100 proof.   Those flavors are bundled; they don’t float in and out but, instead, all appear at once as equal parts and perfectly fit together.  I first tasted this in a pour by Jimmie Russell while Eddie watched.  When I smiled, Eddie smiled and said,  “I guess you liked it.”  If I didn’t know better, I’d have guessed a master blender had stuck HER nose in the process of building the 17.:D  But, I suppose Jimmie and Eddie did O.K. on their own.

Hehehe, @Harry in WashDC sounds like its a real winner of a bottle! And how cool that you had a chance to try it in the company of Jimmie and Eddie. I can't even imagine what it tastes like at 17 years old. Working on that blend would have been the dream of a lifetime. That's making me want to see if I can order a bottle and have it delivered. Not sure I want to brave the liquor stores right now, but I wouldn't mind having some of that fabulous juice to tie me over during the shelter-in-place! 

@Vosgar, heck, I'd be happy to take that WTKS off your hands! ? While I have to admit that I generally tend to prefer WTRB, I can't tell you how many times when I'm on the road, I've ordered that pour along with dinner. Sure can't argue with the quality.  I noticed that Jimmy and Eddy signed your bottle. Are you keeping that one, or drinking it? 

All this WT love made me pull a RB bottle up from the basement for cocktail hour this afternoon. The bottle is a 375 mL that I got to do a virtual tasting with Jimmy  about 10 or 11 years ago. It's the famous batch 03RB at 108.2 proof. Makes me want to compare a more recent bottling to this one. 

IMG_3979.jpg

• I like it 8

38 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Vosgar, heck, I'd be happy to take that WTKS off your hands! ? While I have to admit that I generally tend to prefer WTRB, I can't tell you how many times when I'm on the road, I've ordered that pour along with dinner. Sure can't argue with the quality.  I noticed that Jimmy and Eddy signed your bottle. Are you keeping that one, or drinking it? 

Nancy, the pour in my picture is from that bottle, and I am definitely keeping it after all the bourbon has been drank!  For whatever stupid reason, I'd been reluctant to open the bottle until I recently read that Jimmy has said he'd rather have people open up bottles he's signed than keep them sealed. That way he knew the person had enjoyed his whiskey. Good enough for me!

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 9

She was staring at me from the back of the shelf... couldn’t resist.

Im still new compared to some of Straight Bourbon “Dusty” members ;)... so does anyone have info on the when or why WR went from cork to screw top or visa versa? Is one better?

This is my first poor of 107. Cheers

17B7EFD2-1944-44F9-9BAD-E3DC7C131B32.jpeg

D01311C8-9B38-4F4A-9D46-AC74D3500983.jpeg

8 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Im still new compared to some of Straight Bourbon “Dusty” members ;)... so does anyone have info on the when or why WR went from cork to screw top or visa versa? Is one better?

They changed last year about mid year from screw to cork. Picked up my first corked one in November.

Edited by marshall9779

9 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

When: as Marshall stated above, a year or so ago

Why: it coincided with them basically doubling the MSRP, so I'm guessing others would feel the same as me, they put a cork in it to make it seem more like a premium product. 

I doubt either whiskey is better than the other. 

• I like it 1

We all get inspired by others from time to time.

Today, I was rooting through boxes, paused for a minute, and pulled this out.

Today, @MTNBourbon inspired me...

This is incredible!

67574CE5-A635-4FCC-8EA7-7449CD29DC7E.jpeg

• I like it 10

Since the gang isn't together in Bardstown tonight, opened this bottle to help ease my disappointment. It's not doing that but it's a nice bourbon. There's quite a bit of unexpected mint along with some dark cherry. Not as much wood as I thought there might be for a 17yr old whiskey. A good but not great pour.

cured oak.jpg

• I like it 8

I’m having a couple of pours from a very nice ps BT. This one doesn’t have much left in it, so I’m gonna guess it probably won’t make it thru the weekend. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a couple of pours from a very nice ps BT. This one doesn’t have much left in it, so I’m gonna guess it probably won’t make it thru the weekend. :D

Biba! Joe

I was having some too but with a big cube it got weak. Threw in some Stagg Jr. and boy that made it pop. Happy weekend Joe.

Edited by FacePlant

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Since the gang isn't together in Bardstown tonight, opened this bottle to help ease my disappointment. It's not doing that but it's a nice bourbon. There's quite a bit of unexpected mint along with some dark cherry. Not as much wood as I thought there might be for a 17yr old whiskey. A good but not great pour.

cured oak.jpg

Mint! Would not expect that.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I was having some too but with a big cube it got weak. Threw in some Stagg Jr. and boy that made it pop. Happy weekend Joe.

Happy weekend to you to FP! ?

Biba! Joe

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Mint! Would not expect that.

I was surprised as well, especially since it's BT's low rye recipe. It'll be interesting to see if I get that on future pours or if it was a one time thing. 

Edited by Vosgar

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

This is incredible!

Awesome! Wish I found another bottle.?

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

This is incredible!

The empty bottle is collecting quarters now.?

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

...to buy a replacement! ?

I wish. Not sure if some of this is still hanging around some where. Definitely not for the $59.99 I paid when it first came out.

In February I participated in a barrel pic of Garrison brothers. The store picked two barrels from the samples they sent us. We selected the barrel proof version and I have to say they are very good. I’m not a huge fan of garrison Brothers bourbon but the barrel proof store pics are on another level. I’m sure they use smaller barrels for this but one barrel produced 49 bottles the other barrel produced 47 bottles. 118.9 proof, and 121 proof. 
0399D93A-9F09-4424-BEFE-A3F54C601D66.thumb.jpeg.b676a6352c1980e965b19c6d305f9982.jpeg5B9CD935-EA97-435F-87E0-A69EAA327F03.thumb.jpeg.3aad7848739a541e3557f95a0a3c3c89.jpeg

• I like it 2

IMG_1540.thumb.JPG.9d4374fa58be4f35615957434af5f3d0.JPG

I been drinking from a friends bottle. Time to open mine and see if I can put a dent in it this weekend? This is from some of the first barrels in the new program. YUMMY

• I like it 3

It’s been a while since I had some EC open. This one is a 12 year old Julio’s pick.

A8CF4BBA-ABD5-4C18-B3E4-D5B95342E2D3.jpeg

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 4

34 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

@GeeTen when you gonna open that Old Fitz? Life is short and you’re bordering on really old..

You mean the 10yr Very Extra Old Fitzgerald from 1956?  Gonna' open it this summer in Sonoma with The Boss and his wife at the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa.  He pronised that he would sign my SB.com Glencairns!  What ever is left, I'll bring to Bardstown later this year or next for sharing at the Gazebo.  But @smokinjoe ain't gettin' any - he's a meanie for reminding me how old I am like everyone says he is!!!  JUST KIDDIN', Joe . . . . . .  ?

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You mean the 10yr Very Extra Old Fitzgerald from 1956?  Gonna' open it this summer in Sonoma with The Boss and his wife at the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa.  He pronised that he would sign my SB.com Glencairns!  What ever is left, I'll bring to Bardstown later this year or next for sharing at the Gazebo.  But @smokinjoe ain't gettin' any - he's a meanie for reminding me how old I am like everyone says he is!!!  JUST KIDDIN', Joe . . . . . .  ?

I may have to be rude and swoop in on this Sonoma visit.

• I like it 1

Cracked a standard Small Batch I believe was bottled in 2013.  A well crafted whiskey from the Four Roses master.

20200426_000444.jpg

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I may have to be rude and swoop in on this Sonoma visit.

Have you been a good boy and does The Boss like you???   ?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.