What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Atta boy!

I think I'm the one responsible for equating wheaters with the holidays. 

And I think I’m the one responsible for equating wheaters with every day!!!!!! ????

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

And I think I’m the one responsible for equating wheaters with every day!!!!!! ????

Biba! Joe

Now this we know to be true!

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Atta boy!

I think I'm the one responsible for equating wheaters with the holidays. I'm not sure that everyone here thinks the same!

yeah... you wouldn’t shut up about it, so I had to go and open this last week.

?
Thanks.  It’s hitting the spot.

8021ACEF-3DDD-472E-81E5-52E9F99B4E46.jpeg

• I like it 5

9 minutes ago, 0895 said:

yeah... you wouldn’t shut up about it, so I had to go and open this last week.

?
Thanks.  It’s hitting the spot.

8021ACEF-3DDD-472E-81E5-52E9F99B4E46.jpeg

I like how this is going! I may have to open one of those as well!

• I like it 1

Cracked this John J. Bowman SiB while I enjoy Clemson thoroughly dismantle Notre Dame. I’m super impressed with this pour. It’ll be a buy on sight bottle because it’s rarely seen where I shop. 

F60945F5-3A7D-4F43-B523-929BC342985F.jpeg

• I like it 5

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Atta boy!

I think I'm the one responsible for equating wheaters with the holidays. I'm not sure that everyone here thinks the same! It works for me though and I'm happy to see you enjoying that Weller Antique. 

I've been on the train for about 3 days in a row so I decided to pivot to Four Roses tonight but will be back on the train tomorrow.

True enough; I feel so manipulated. (and thankful)

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Death, taxes and this ^^^^^^^^^^^

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of BBC Discovery#3 a couple of days ago while eating at Bottle and Bond.  Intended to wait until Christmas to open, but what the H#%* I decided to go ahead and enjoy a pour tonight.  It is good. 

• I like it 4

On 12/18/2020 at 11:47 PM, flahute said:

Atta boy!

I think I'm the one responsible for equating wheaters with the holidays. I'm not sure that everyone here thinks the same! It works for me though and I'm happy to see you enjoying that Weller Antique. 

I've been on the train for about 3 days in a row so I decided to pivot to Four Roses tonight but will be back on the train tomorrow.

I equate wheaters with the holidays.  I also equate high rye bourbons and straight ryes with the holidays for their spice.  Plus finished whiskeys like HW Midwinter Nights Dram.  Also winter ales & lagers.  Plus spiked egg nog. 

I may have a problem ... :ph34r:

• I like it 5

31 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I equate wheaters with the holidays.  I also equate high rye bourbons and straight ryes with the holidays for their spice.  Plus finished whiskeys like HW Midwinter Nights Dram.  Also winter ales & lagers.  Plus spiked egg nog. 

Right there with you! I'm stacked with Christmas Ales right now!

On 12/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, Paddy said:

In Loretto, they sprinkle holy water on each new batch of wax.  That’s the inherent flaw with the Beam wax from Clermont or Boston, it’s not ‘blessed’!?

In Clermont and Boston, the devil damns the wax while he's on shift making his "cut".

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Opening some older HWMWND (Act 5 and earlier) Christmas Eve - newer stuff doesn't excite my palate since HW ran out of the 18yr old rye barrels that used to go into the Rendezvous blend.  At least I still have some in The Bunker.  ?  &  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

Completely agree about the old vs new HW MWND.  SBS the differences are insurmountable.  

I also like more sherried scotch and armagnac during the Holidays.  It is "Armagnac Season", the shenanigans have been declared. 

The Delerium Noel holiday beer was so great I had to buy two packs.  Absolutely adore the flying pink christmas elephants pint glasses!!  

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

Completely agree about the old vs new HW MWND.  SBS the differences are insurmountable.  

I also like more sherried scotch and armagnac during the Holidays.  It is "Armagnac Season", the shenanigans have been declared. 

The Delerium Noel holiday beer was so great I had to buy two packs.  Absolutely adore the flying pink christmas elephants pint glasses!!  

I may have to open one of my older MWND's.

Side note - what style of beer is the Noel? Is it a normal brew or are any spices added?

"Once banned in the US because the provocative title of this line of ales was thought to encourage overindulgence (the pink elephant logo on the label probably did very little to curb the argument), Delirium Noel from the Huyghe Brewery is a seasonal Belgian Strong Ale that pours dark red with a foamy beige head.

Top fermented and bottle conditioned, the brew boasts potent aromas of dark fruit, apricot, caramel malt, sweet cherry, cinnamon and clove with notes of vanilla, apple, banana and yeast.

Taste is similar to aroma and also includes toffee, plum, and red wine with notes of pepper and bitter hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy smooth thanks to generous and lively carbonation; the 10.0% ABV is well hidden, and the finish is lingering, spicy, and dry."

~~~

I don't think there are added christmas spices, but it is certainly loaded with spicy flavors!  Perfect beer for rich foods, meats, and cheeses.  

• I like it 2

Working my way through bottles in the back of the shelf. Bought this one in either 2012 or 2013, and it was a little dusty at the time. I have two more left. I do appreciate Old Forester.

Pat

OF bonded two.jpg

• I like it 1

Just now, Patrick_OKC said:

Working my way through bottles in the back of the shelf. Bought this one in either 2012 or 2013, and it was a little dusty at the time. I have two more left. I do appreciate Old Forester.

Pat

That’s a good un right there Pat. Cross my heart.????

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

That’s a good un right there Pat. Cross my heart.????

Biba! Joe

Amen brother, amen.

Pat

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Amen brother, amen.

Pat

I still have one left somewhere in my bunker. I’m not in any hurry to open it. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Enjoying the Weller’s. ?

Patrick, I found the OF.  ?

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

We all need comfort in these times so seeing you be completely on brand provides the normalcy we all seek.

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Enjoying the Weller’s. ?

Patrick, I found the OF.  ?

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Ha! I noticed that! 

Pat

• I like it 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

We're pretty pathetic when all we have to whine about is our "first world problems" in removing wax or other sealing methods on our bourbon. :D

I've been stuck at home for the last nine months.  I ran out of meaningful bitching in early November.  It's going to be a looooooonnnnnnnggggggg winter. 

• I like it 6

was gifted a bottle of cream of kentucky 13 year. #5

wonderful nose, still figuring out the rest. So far it's unique to me. Not sure I would pay the 120-165 i have seen it at, but will have another tonight, and revisit in a couple weeks.

anyone have an idea who he got these barrels from? I saw a mention of Barton somewhere, but it does not taste like Barton to me.

Just picked this up on the recommendations of fellow SBers.  It makes a fine Christmas pour!

Will compare it to proofed down MMCS at a later date. For now just enjoying this wheat goodness!  Merry Christmas  ??☃️

20201223_214619.jpg

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.