What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened yesterday for my birthday. 
Woodford Reserve masters collection batch proof

67155DD7-E412-40B0-ADEF-84403A88D5E1.jpeg

Edited by Beebe
  • I like it 9

5 minutes ago, Beebe said:

Cheers and Happy Birthday!

Biba! Joe

22 minutes ago, Beebe said:

Wait, there’s a bourbon in that pic??

?

A belated Happy Born Day to ya!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Cheers and Happy Birthday!

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

Wait, there’s a bourbon in that pic??

?

A belated Happy Born Day to ya!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Beebe said:

Now THAT's a tomahawk!   ?

Clacked open the Boxergrail which I've never had before.

Very powerful nose, very rich and distinct taste with a bunch of character and some nice sweetness to it ... I like it and recommend it a lot.

IMG-6073.jpg

• I like it 2

Opening more of "the good stuff".  

This global pandemic has me rethinking my whiskey hoarding priorities.

As such, I've been sipping nearly exclusively from the open bar since March with only an odd bottle here or there purchased since covid hit the fan.   Nearly all of the bunker clunker-turds have been finished off (along with a bunch of great whiskey this year!) and the rest of the bunker is pure gold veins in box after box after box. 

Today was an auspicious occasion.  My bunker is finally paying off!   I pulled out a few doozies today!    

Digging into the bunker today for a new round of bourbon bottles to top up the dry bar, It felt like stealing!! 

RR Rye 6y

WTKS PS

WT101 LL/IA 

RRSiB PS K

EC12 B517 

BOOKERS 2016-3/Toogie's   

Willet Estate Rye 

1792 PS Bonded 

Belle Meade CSR 

KC9 (old bottling) 

MM CS

BT PS 

EC PS 

VB7 

#WhiskeyGoals!!!

• I like it 2

It’s snowing here in Pittsburgh. A lot.

So I figured what better time to open my first bottle of HW’s A Midwinter Nights Dram?

2C718127-4D1C-4A8B-924D-B24F69550481.jpeg

• I like it 4

This thread should be renamed "What bottle did you open last night?".  By the time I start opening new bottles in the evening, I know it's not a good idea to start posting on social media LOL. 

Anyway, last night Toogie's Invitation.  I love this batch.  The wax; not so much...

bookers toogies and wax.jpg

• I like it 5

40 minutes ago, fosmith said:

This thread should be renamed "What bottle did you open last night?".  By the time I start opening new bottles in the evening, I know it's not a good idea to start posting on social media LOL. 

Anyway, last night Toogie's Invitation.  I love this batch.  The wax; not so much...

bookers toogies and wax.jpg

There are several reports of these types of wax issues in Beam products such as Booker’s, Baker’s, KC, etc., but Beam’s Maker’s Mark wax is damn near flawless.  Ya’d think they’d call Loretto and get the recipe...  ?

• I like it 4

A bit off topic but am I the one who is completely over wax dipped closures?  I just find it irritating at this point. MM is the only one that I'll give a pass to for obvious reasons. 

The more barriers the producer puts between me and drinking the whiskey, the less likely I am to buy another one. 

• I like it 4

9 minutes ago, BigRich said:

A bit off topic but am I the one who is completely over wax dipped closures?  

10,000% agree.  MM is ok because they open easily and cleanly.  KC wax cracks into small pieces which is annoying as I always have to make sure they do not fall into the open bottle.  Also, after getting through the wax those KC synthetic corks are really in there TIGHT.  I think I spent a good 10 minutes fighting the last two Michter's bottles, those were the worst.  And god forbid if on any of them the pull tab breaks or all the wax slides off so you can't get a good grip.  

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, BigRich said:

A bit off topic but am I the one who is completely over wax dipped closures?  I just find it irritating at this point. MM is the only one that I'll give a pass to for obvious reasons. 

The more barriers the producer puts between me and drinking the whiskey, the less likely I am to buy another one. 

I am with you on this.  Now, I would be terribly disappointed if Maker’s removes their iconic wax dipped bottles, but wax on any of the others do nothing for me, and they can drop those anytime.

Going further off topic, the cheap clear heat shrink tamper evident capsules suck.  If going that route, they should at least include a visible pull tab/tear strip.  I get annoyed while I’m spinning the bottle picking at the plastic with my fingernail trying to find the piece that gives way and tears out.  

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, BigRich said:

24 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

10,000% agree.  MM is ok because they open easily and cleanly.  KC wax cracks into small pieces which is annoying as I always have to make sure they do not fall into the open bottle.  Also, after getting through the wax those KC synthetic corks are really in there TIGHT.  I think I spent a good 10 minutes fighting the last two Michter's bottles, those were the worst.  And god forbid if on any of them the pull tab breaks or all the wax slides off so you can't get a good grip.  

18 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I am with you on this.  Now, I would be terribly disappointed if Maker’s removes their iconic wax dipped bottles, but wax on any of the others do nothing for me, and they can drop those anytime.

Going further off topic, the cheap clear heat shrink tamper evident capsules suck.  If going that route, they should at least include a visible pull tab/tear strip.  I get annoyed while I’m spinning the bottle picking at the plastic with my fingernail trying to find the piece that gives way and tears out.  

Damn we got it rough! :D

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

There are several reports of these types of wax issues in Beam products such as Booker’s, Baker’s, KC, etc., but Beam’s Maker’s Mark wax is damn near flawless.  Ya’d think they’d call Loretto and get the recipe...  ?

In Loretto, they sprinkle holy water on each new batch of wax.  That’s the inherent flaw with the Beam wax from Clermont or Boston, it’s not ‘blessed’!?

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

Heaven Hill figured out how to make “good” wax for Evan Williams SiB, how hard can it be? I’d be more than happy to see the wax over cap trend go away. Fake tax strips for that matter too.

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

You are not the only one!

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

With those, I just go straight to a knife. Every time I forget to do that I spend about a minute picking at the plastic with no success and then end up pulling out a knife.

• I like it 1

My old KC9 bottles and Toogie's bottling had the brittle wax too.  I open them outside!  

I hear you can warm the wax first but I kinda like the wax shattering mess, just not on my bar.  

• I like it 1

I was surprised with my last couple of Blanton’s. Yeah I know they have an opening ring covered by wax, but both came off clean as a whistle. 

Biba! Joe

When I hear someone now (usually relatively new to bourbon) talk about how much they love the wax dipped bottles.....the feel.....the look...the cachet, I just think to myself "well they clearly haven't opened too many bottles yet."

• I like it 5

We're pretty pathetic when all we have to whine about is our "first world problems" in removing wax or other sealing methods on our bourbon. :D

• I like it 4

It'sssssssssssssss Timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Don't know what the forum knows that I don't, except more about bourbon than me; but "the holiday season is designed for wheaters" motif , put me on the path!!!

Bunker diving produced this!!!

20201218_160729.thumb.jpg.f06332f15b81aab8e37c4cd18e3daf52.jpg

P.S. Too lazy to post a second post in what are you drinking; so visualize people...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 3

7 hours ago, bayouredd said:

It'sssssssssssssss Timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Don't know what the forum knows that I don't, except more about bourbon than me; but "the holiday season is designed for wheaters" motif , put me on the path!!!

Bunker diving produced this!!!

20201218_160729.thumb.jpg.f06332f15b81aab8e37c4cd18e3daf52.jpg

P.S. Too lazy to post a second post in what are you drinking; so visualize people...

Atta boy!

I think I'm the one responsible for equating wheaters with the holidays. I'm not sure that everyone here thinks the same! It works for me though and I'm happy to see you enjoying that Weller Antique. 

I've been on the train for about 3 days in a row so I decided to pivot to Four Roses tonight but will be back on the train tomorrow.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.