What Bottle Did You Open Today? 2020

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Lemme get this straight - you like to see "as many opened" equal or exceed the number of "Purchased"?   I bet you are one unhappy Dude.B)  THAT has not happened in my house since about 2005.  Open one, buy one+ (even if the open one is not empty) is the rule here just in case of the Apocalypse.  Or spousal revolt - whichever comes first.

Haha, nice.  

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

How about this one? Opened it to celebrate my retirement (sorry if I'm beating that to death, it's just that I'm so damn happy about it!).

Absolutely love this whiskey. It's like Old Fitz DSP16 on steroids and a little more viscosity. Chewably delicious. 

parkers.jpg

You can crow about your retirement as much as you want as far as I'm concerned. And keep posting photos like this. That one looks amazing.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Um.  I can't remember, and it was just before dinner.  Let me look . . .

AH!!  Murray Hill Club, Batch 18, Bottle 800.  NAS, 103 proof.  I only have two unopened MHC 18s left.

Dinner included Manhattans (2:1::OF RYE:Dolins Sweet Vermouth) so OF COURSE I couldn't remember.

Only 2 unopened MHC 18s Harry? That’ll never do. Better make room in the spare wheel well in the trunk. 

• I like it 2

A coworker recommended (and gave this bottle to me) I try this.

$10/liter  local grocery store brand.

Says it’s at least 36m old and bottled by luxco (Ezra Brooks) on the back label.

Pretty decent actually.  Drinks like young heaven hill.

51A645D6-2A44-4A08-8820-63DBF24B7974.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

A coworker recommended (and gave this bottle to me) I try this.

$10/liter  local grocery store brand.

Says it’s at least 36m old and bottled by luxco (Ezra Brooks) on the back label.

Pretty decent actually.  Drinks like young heaven hill.

I’m pretty sure that it is young HH. Normally it seems we have fairly similar tastes 0, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I bought a bottle some time ago, and I couldn’t finish it. I tried, but it eventually became drain cleaner. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m pretty sure that it is young HH. Normally it seems we have fairly similar tastes 0, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I bought a bottle some time ago, and I couldn’t finish it. I tried, but it eventually became drain cleaner. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

To be fair, I must have been having an off palate night, because CEHT single barrel was tasting  pretty good to me as well, and I generally don’t enjoy that either.

?

Just cracked a MM Select we put together in April of last year. 4 spice, 3 Mocha, 2 Am Oak, 1 Cuvee. Not far off of Rob's mixture and very easy & smooth.

Because of the cost I only got 1/2 of a six pack and already regretting that discussion. Maybe I'll live long enough for this to me a minor regret. :) 

• I like it 2

Opened a fresh 1.75L of WT 101 this weekend. It is an LL/GK code that I have had in the bunker. 

I went in to a local store to buy the RR10, as I had a $5 off coupon to this particular store. Much to my surprise I saw WB Saffell for the first time on a shelf, and surprisingly for this store, it was stickered at retail. $82.47 OTD for the pair. I'm pretty pleased. The Saffell wilm go to the bunker. The RR gets opened after the wife and kid hit the sack. 

20200302_175056.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 4

One of my favorites, again. I promise I won't post every one. But this one tasted extremely nice after my long day. Just one pour before bed. 

IMG_20200303_192342.jpg

Opened up a Real Fingerjug, a WT101. I wish Campari hadn't changed the bottle design. I think a handle is important for a bottle of this size. 

And oh yeah, the whiskey inside is pretty great. 

Cheers

IMG_3889.JPG

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Opened up a Real Fingerjug, a WT101. I wish Campari hadn't changed the bottle design. I think a handle is important for a bottle of this size. 

Cheers

IMG_3889.JPG

I completely agree with the practicality of the handle on 1.75ml bottles. I still call that size a handle regardless the shape and grip area of the bottles. 

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

IMG_3889.JPG

Why use a glass. That jug looks made for carrying around.

• I like it 3

On 2/29/2020 at 7:07 PM, Vosgar said:

How about this one? Opened it to celebrate my retirement (sorry if I'm beating that to death, it's just that I'm so damn happy about it!).

Absolutely love this whiskey. It's like Old Fitz DSP16 on steroids and a little more viscosity. Chewably delicious. 

parkers.jpg

Damn - congratulations chief!  Helluva way to celebrate!  I remember my first sip of one of those - @#$% amazing stuff (and glad I got to help my Dad kill his bottle off over Christmas).

Seeing this, I don't even want to say what I opened.  It just isn't worthy of being in the same thread :lol:  

21 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Cheers

IMG_3889.JPG

Nice jug

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Damn - congratulations chief!  Helluva way to celebrate!  I remember my first sip of one of those - @#$% amazing stuff (and glad I got to help my Dad kill his bottle off over Christmas).

Seeing this, I don't even want to say what I opened.  It just isn't worthy of being in the same thread :lol:  

Don't tease us like that! Whadaya got?

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, GaryT said:

And you're too darned young to retire (see, those of us who learned English as a second language are very precise in our use of words).  So, as Vosgar said, what did you open for your non-retirement night???   ?

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Don't tease us like that! Whadaya got?

46 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

And you're too darned young to retire (see, those of us who learned English as a second language are very precise in our use of words).  So, as Vosgar said, what did you open for your non-retirement night???   ?

I opened a plain old Sagamore Spirit Rye.  Which was OK, but not a celebration by any stretch ;)  

• I like it 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:31 PM, FasterHorses said:

Standard Belle Meade. Fantastic

NC just started carrying Belle Meade. Almost picked one up yesterday but wasn't sure if it was worth $50, so I settled on a more known (to me) commodity, HMcK10. In your opinion, is it worth the $50 tag? If so, I'll grab one the next time I see it.

26 minutes ago, BDanner said:

NC just started carrying Belle Meade. Almost picked one up yesterday but wasn't sure if it was worth $50, so I settled on a more known (to me) commodity, HMcK10. In your opinion, is it worth the $50 tag? If so, I'll grab one the next time I see it.

I think it may be cheaper in neighboring states but i bought the 375. I thhought it was very good.. worth it? Maybe but definitely worth trying. Im bot that much of a MCk10 fan so id rather have the BElle Meade. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

The cask strength Reserve retails for $60 and is well worth picking up if it's available in your area.  Haven't had any of the other Belle Mead expressions.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BDanner said:

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

The cask strength Reserve retails for $60 and is well worth picking up if it's available in your area.  Haven't had any of the other Belle Mead expressions.

Agreed...if you can find the Cask Strength Reserve for $60 or so, don't hesitate, it's really good. The Small Batch goes for between $35-40 near me, and it's good, but not $50 good in my opinion.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.